4. You may not vote on this poll
  • give advise

3 75.00%
  • ask questions

1 25.00%

Thread: Alternative for surgery or bracing

Smile Alternative for surgery or bracing

hi my name is megan
    I am 13 yrs old and was diagnosed with scoliosis and a 50 degree curve. Every doctor i went to said i needed surgery immediatly but my stubborn mom was TOO stubborn and looked on different websites and found one that seemed to replay everything the doctors just told me exept they told me there was a cure without surgery.

(edited by moderator: please do not advertise in this forum)

god ur lucky. i had the surgery and its still at 60 degrees. wish i had known this. damn.
    there is worse pain than yours

COPES Brace

The COPES Brace is not accepted in the orthopedic world as providing the benefits it claims. Everyone will see an improved spine when x-rays are taken in any brace. My daughter has a Charleston brace and her curve goes from 28 to 9 while in the brace. This is because the picture is being taken while the brace pushes the spine into place. Because the medical field does not know how to truly correct scoliosis, one can never be truly sure what will work. But, the COPES brace IMHO is not a radical change in approach or technology that should provide correction. In fact, it is my understanding that the COPES people have been sued over their claims. I truly hope that you receive some benefit from this system. But, for those considering using it, please research carefully prior to making a decision.
    I am as frustrated in the lack of treatments options as the rest of you-
    Chris G.

Talking

Megan, I read your message and am very interested in hearing what the treatment was your mom was able to find for you other than surgery. I have a 15 year old daughter with a 49 percent curvature and I am desperate to find an alternative other than surgery that works. Any information that you or your mom have would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou very much. Elizabeth

hy

what you need is a good brace and a good muscle therapie the best is Schroth

i know that a good brace in combination with Schroth even at adults until 20 should correct entirely after 6 months without a brace.

look at my thread

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...=&threadid=436
    Last edited by Bosnian; 03-31-2004 at 05:35 AM.

work-out at gym

hi, im 17 yrs old. and have problem with scoliosis but don't know yet the degree, i haven't go to any doctor for check-up... just want to know if work-out at gym is bad for me??? thnks a lot... pls reply asap...

Hi,
    I was in STRS and it didn't work for me and from what I know it doesn't work at all! I was in it for 11 months and I was "improving" with my brace on, but now it has gotton worse because they scruwed up my back.

I am in a treatment called ASCo scoliosis treatment and this program seems to be much better than COPES.

I was cosidering the surgery about 2 years ago now i think, the doctor said that my curve was just under the degree needed for surgery but that they would still do it. It wasnt until i actually went online and found out about the surgery a bit more that i decided not to do it as i would be limited to what i could do, especially sport wise.

Anyway, later on i found out that my cousin also has scoliosis. After talking to her about it i found out she was seeing a carneologist about it.

I have to say that after going to this guy for roughly a year and a half now i can see dramatic improvement in my spine and back.

I wouldnt recommend the surgery to anyone at all, try find out about Carneology (spellings probly wrong) it really does help. If you live in America you should probly have little trouble finding someone.

Copes brace

OneOfFive1,

Our daughter is currently a patient with STRS. Can I ask your age and how long you were in the program? It has been a year for us. She showed correction in the first three months in and out of brace. She grew some this summer and her curves are worse. WHy did the program not work for you?

Chrisgibs,

Where did you get the info on the patients that have sued the Copes Clinin/STRS? I would be interested.

Thanks,
    IllinoisMom

Illinois Mom...

You'll find comments from patients who have been treated by STRS here:

http://forums.scoliosis-support.com/...aysprune=&f=12

--Linda