Thread: Scoliometer

Scoliometer

What does this device tell you? If I have a 50t/40l with 15 degrees on this machine. Does this mean my curve is really 75 degrees at the thoracic level. Thanks for the explanation. I am confused. Dr. Keith Bridwell says I am in the gray area for surgery.

Becky

Becky...

No, the scoliometer simply measures the approximate scoliosis curves instead of measuring them from x-rays. The numbers aren't added together.

--Linda

Whitney,
    Are you in pain? I am a 52 year old male that has the exact same curve angles. In the last few years my pain has gotten much worse, but some people have curves worse than ours and are pain free. I also have degenerative disc diseasein L4-L5, lateral recess stenosis and osteophytes, so these things may be what causes my pain. I'm just trying to figuure out if these things are a result of scoliosis or just advancing age.
    Last edited by tommyo; 06-06-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Hi Tommyo, Just a quick message, I have degeneration at L5-S1 and as I understand it degeneration often happens younger/more severely in scoliosis patients. Somebody else (or your surgeon) might be able to tell you more about that, but I'm pretty sure I read it some place. The three surgeons I saw all concurred that my pain - severe intractable low back - was connected to the disk "and not to the scoliosis." Don't know about your other diagnoses though. All the best! Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35