disney world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disney world

I have a question for all you out there. My daughter is now 7 months post op. Her best friends family wants to take my daughter with them to florida in August. She will then be 9 months post op. They will be doing disney for a few days and understand that nicole of course can not ride a roller coaster, which she is too chicken to anyway, but i am not sure if there are things that she will be able to go on there. She is begging me to let her go, but i am of course worried and not sure if i should let her. If she didn't have the surgery i would have definitely let her go. Has anyone been to disney post op and were there any rides that you or your children were able to do??
    thanks-this is getting harder and harder being post op
    jennifer

Hi Jennifer...

I've forgotten your daughter's age, but at 7 months, her fusion is probably well on the way. In terms of whether your daughter can go on rides, you should always go by what the surgeon says is OK.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Do you remember Pat whose daughter had surgery the same day as your daughter? If I remember correctly, they are going to Disney this later this month and I think her daugther was given the okay to go and ride the rides.

Mary Lou

Comment

hey!

Hey MaryLou and Jen, I saw your post!!!!, and yes Jenn, we are headed for Disney in two weeks. And Jamie's doctor said she can pretty much go on whatever she wants, thankfully Jamie isn't into the big rollercoaster rides. But he did specifically say the rides where they are only belted in at the waist, NOBODY should go on, but certainly not post fusion kids. And there was one in particular, something about a train going thru a coal mine, NO to that one. He had no worries at all, but of course I DO. And the rides where the bars come over their shoulders are the best, not to worry at all, they're held in nice and tight.

Jenn, I will post after our trip to let you know what was worrisome, but luckily our trip to FL only includes three days at Disney.

And August is a little further out, so that buys you some more time.

Pat

Comment

Jenn
          Hi I Have Gone To Disney Many Times And Most Rides Are Very Mellow. They Are Some I Wouldn't Like My Nicole Ride But They Are Rollercoaster. There Are Also Signs That Say If You Have Back Problems Do Not Ride. My Nicoles Wants To Go So Bad These Summer But She Only 2 1/2 Months So I Told Her Maybe In Dec Hopefully The Doctor Says Yes. You Could Go On Disneys Web Site And Ride The Rides.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

Linda my daughter is 15 years old

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Let her go. She's not a baby, and I'm sure there's no way she'd take a chance and put herself in danger. I know my daughter is very afraid of having another surgery. She knows exactly what she can do, and what she can't, and if she has any doubt, she asks. I would definitely have a talk with the other girl and her parents, so thay understand that someone's going to have to carry Nicoles's suitcase, and that she might not be able to go all day, and might need a break from time to time. I wouldn't worry too much about the rides, but Nicole might get really worn out and sore walking all day. I'd make sure she's got pain meds, and that she knows to ask for a rest or to go back to the hotel if she's feeling exhausted.

Tell her to have a fantastic time!

xoxo

Susanna
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi ladies,
                thank you all soooo much for your quick replies! I was very excited to see the positive feedback. I didn't think everyone would be so positive. Well now i have to convince my husband and i will have to check with the surgeon. I know i will be a wreck
                pat,
                you'll have to tell me all about the trip when you get back! I never heard of that one the train going through the coal mine.
                susanna,
                you are right about they definitely do know their limitations on what they can and cannot do. How is your daughter making out with school and sitting all day? When does she go back for another check at the dr.
                thank you all again so much! You guys are the best
                Jennifer
                Last edited by jc3; 06-07-2005, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Boachie doesn't want to see us until the 6 month mark. My daughter's school is out, and she is going to have to do some tutoring to make up for missing two months of school. She is doing really well. She does have some pain from time to time, especially if she over does it, but she's basically doing great!

Thanks for asking.

Susanna
                  Susanna
                  ~~~~~~
                  Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi susanna
                    I'm glad to hear that she is coming along nicely. I'm sure it is easier now that she is not in school and sitting at the desks all day. I know for a while somedays it would bother my daughter. She doesn't complain of it anymore. So your daughter will have the summer to heal more, which is great.
                    I have to call today to make an appointment for her for next month, she is due to go back the beginning of July.
                    talk to you soon
                    Jennifer

Comment

pat
                      i just did a good search of disney ride restrictions or something like that and it came up with lists of rides that would not be good for them to ride. You wouldn't need it since you will be there to check and make sure the ride is okay, but if my daughter goes i am going to make a list up for her. My luck she'll leave it in the hotel room though. I did put a call into the surgeon today and they said she absolutely could go just no rollercoasters and any rides that are jarring, only ones that are a smooth ride and they also said no diving into the pool or jumping into the pool. This is going to be a tough summer.
                      Have a great time in disney and you will have to tell me everything when you get back
                      Jennifer

Comment

Jen, It's so interesting to see how different the doctors/kids are . . . Jamie's been jumping into the pool for months (from a diving board too), and she just started diving into the pool about a month ago.

I'll have to search for Disney Ride restrictions. That'll be great to know ahead of time. Thanks!! Pat

Comment

hi pat
                          I think my doctor is just over cautious. I can't believe jamie can jump in the pool and dive. I wonder why mine said no. Well i have an appointment on July 14th or somewhere around there and hopefully when i talk to him not the assistant he will say she can do that and if i do let her go to disney i will talk to him about that alot.
                          There is a big carnival coming this weekend to our town and all the kids go and hang out there, nicole keeps asking me what can she go on she is driving me nuts. It is so hard not letting them do all these things they want to do. I can't wait to hear back from you after disney on what she was able to do. When i looked on that website it listed rides in disney that if you are pregnant and have a back problem you should not go on.
                          Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer
                            Hi My Daughter Nicole Joined Spinekids The Other Day And She Told Me She Wrote To Someone About Disney. Well I Checked It Out And It Was You ( Small World) The Rides She Listed Is About The Only Ones She Should Avoid Some Are Coasters And The Other Really Bounce You Around. There Is So Much To Do In Disney And Other Rides That Are So Much Fun. She Will Have A Blast. I Take Nicole Twice A Year To Disney. I Have Ap Passes And Belong To Dvc. We Last Went In Jan Before Surgery I May Take Her Again In Dec. Hopefully She Could Go. I See Boachie On Aug 8 Again. He Sees Nicole Every 3 Months Because She Wears A Brace And Wants To See If It's Working To Hold Her Bottom Curve.
                            Theresa
                            THERESA

Comment

Jennifer,

I know you will be a nervous wreck the whole time your daughter is in Disney, but make it a stipulation (if you decide to let her go) that you, your husband, daughter and her friend's famiy have to sit down and talk before she can go or maybe even before you give her the okay to go. Also, as a Mom, I would suggest giving the friend's Mom a list of rides that she cannot ride so maybe she can be prepared before they even get there.

My Jamie has her six month check-up tomorrow so I'll have to let you know what she can/cannot do. You know since they didn't use pedicle screws in her back, she has been the most restricted of all of our kids. Like you, I have a ton of questions for the doctor especially since we probably won't be seeing him again until after school starts. At this point she still isn't allowed to run, jump, take gym, ride the school bus, be in the crowded hallways at school (or anywhere else), etc. She is really hoping to get some of her restrictions lifted.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X