I'm seventeen and thinking about having my hardware removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm seventeen and thinking about having my hardware removed

My name is Erika and I'm seventeen I have had severe pain off and on ever since my first surgery I'm going to have my rods removed but I'm still a little nervouse because I've heard some bad things about fusions not healing right Can anyone tell me anything about rod removal and what it's like or any general Info?
    Erika
    Posterior spinal fusion 2001
    52* before first surgery
    23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
    33* before surgery
    30* after surgery

Hi Erica...

You might want to try a search (see the icon above) on the word removal. There have been several discussions on the topic which might be of interest.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Erika ~ Rod Removal

Dear Erika,

I have never had any instrumentation removed... yet! The only "advice" I would like to offer is please don't have any major work done on your spine without a second, (and even 3rd) opinion. I sincerely regret not having made the effort to get more professional opinions BEFORE my mega-surgery!!! Good Luck, Erika. I have already said a prayer for you ~
      ~ Irene ~
      Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

Hi Erika,

I had my rods removed three weeks ago. I had them put in a year ago when I was 19 and removed a couple of months after my 20th birthday. It was nothing like the first operation to put them in. The operation only took one hour, which was nothing in comparison to the 6 and a half hours that it took to put them in. The recovery has been a lot quicker this time aswell apart from the little hiccup when I pulled a muscle in my shoulder when I sneezed which is now better thankfully and the severe pain that I was in before the rod removal has gone completely! . I find it a lot easier to sit against chairs and I can walk further than I used to without being in severe pain. So overall I am very glad that I had the operation.

My surgeon told me that the rods were the reason I was in so much pain. He said because I am very small the rods stick out more. My surgeon told me that the longer the rods are left in the more difficult it is to take them out as the bone fuses around the metalwork. I still have one hook in my back that they couldn't take out. If I were you I would get a second opinion if you can just to make sure that it is the best option for you. In the UK you get referred to one consultant and that is it. You can't go to see another surgeon because they won't treat you if are already being treated.

I hope this is some help to you and I hope that the pain is sorted out soon as I know how horrible it is to be in severe pain with your back.

Laura

Comment

Rod removal

Hi!
          I had a portion of my Herrington Rods removed in March. I was suffering with a lot of pain down my leg and lower back. I am AMAZED at how much better I feel. I was able to move out of the bed and into another after I woke up from the surgery. The recovery went amazingly well, and was nothing like the surgery I had to insert the rods.

I know everyone's body is different, but I think you will be really pleased with how you will feel afterwards.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I'm still looking for more info, but the helped a lot. My parents and my doctor and I decided to have the surgery in December this year. I'm still a little nervous but hopefully it will get rid of some of the pain!!
            Erika
            Posterior spinal fusion 2001
            52* before first surgery
            23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
            33* before surgery
            30* after surgery

Comment

I had mine removed

I had my orginal fusion done in 1994 from T1-L1. I then had the top portion of rods removed because I had lots of pain in my upper back in 1996. Well in 2003 I had to have new rods put in and connected to my old ones and a refusion done because the fusion tends to fail over time without the rods there to stabilize. It started causing me severe pain (worse than the one before my removal) in 2001, and I waited for 2 years to do the surgery. Well now it feels really good. So hopefully it stays that way. But I have heard that the fusions don't hold as well without the instrumentation and the failed fusion can cause arthritic like pain. Something to ask about.

Sean

Comment

Working...
              X