Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Sickness

Hi...

I was watching the Travel Channel this morning as I was making the bed and there was a piece about traveling by car "when we were kids." It made me wonder about something. I am one of 8 kids, the only one with scoliosis, AND the only one who had/has motion sickness. It wouldn't have been a vacation without Linda vomiting at least once or twice a day on the way there and back.

Anyway, it makes me wonder if there's a correlation between the two. An internet search turned up a paper from a French study "Kinetics disorders (car sickness) in patients with scoliosis." Unfortunately, there is no abstract available.

So, are there others with similar situations?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Interesting, I vividly remember the summer trips (miserable); however, as I got older the motion sickness slowly went away, which is a good thing. My husband was a career soldier so we traveled ALOT!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Hi Gayle...

I find that I'm fine as long as I sit in the front seat. If I'm in the back seat, I get nauseated after a few curves.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yep, Deirdre suffers from motion sickness. It's quite horrible. Although I never associated the two, thinking most kids suffer from motion sickness. I am hopeful she'll outgrow it.

Celia

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

When I was younger I had no problem sitting in the back seat and would only get motion sickness if we were going to the mountians or something. As I've gotten older it has gotten worse, I have to be in the front seat or in the middle of the back seat so that I can see the road or I will feel really sick. Interesting correlation.
          Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Interesting, but hmm... My daughter with AIS does NOT get carsick. In fact, when she's in the car, she loves to read! The carsick/scoliosis connection doesn't apply to her. Interesting tho.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

i just stumpled upon this post and i have to say i have scoliosis and never had motion sickness.

Comment

front seat vs back seat

Hi again,
                Now that you have mentioned a difference, I can relate to that seating arrangement as well. When I was a child I rode in the back seat, although, since I was grown and married I did only ride in the front. You know I think we're getting some pretty good mileage out of this discovery.....:>). It's pretty interesting.
                Regards,
                Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
                Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Hey Linda,

We traveled a lot with my dad being in the Air Force. There was us 3 kids crammed in the back seat with something in between us all to keep from touching each other. I usually got put in the middle between the two boys and I would read the whole trip. I still read on road trips to this day.
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Neither of my girls has ever gotten car sick. One has Scoliosis and the other doesn't.

Mary Lou

Comment

Motion sickness

I have always had pretty bad motion sickness and I have scoliosis. While the motion sickness has gotten a little better as I got older, it still is something I suffer from. I always take dramamine when I fly, don't get on boats anymore, and try to sit in the front seat when I'm travelling in a car.

Comment

motion sickness

Never got motion sickness as a kid.

I did get labrynthitis (inner ear inflammation) which is the balance center of the ear and was dizzy for 3 months. For a long time after that inflammation(caused by a virus) I tended to get motion sickness.Ginger root, ginger ale or ginger tea saved my life those months and doesn't cause drowziness. I could not possibly work while taking Dramamine, or Antivert(meclazine).
                        Ginger is an excellent prevention for motion sickness and worked for me without fail.

Karen
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi all,
                          count me in as a member of the car-sickness club.
                          To this day I can't read in a car for extended periods and still suffer from a fair bit of seasickness. But I can't say I've had dreadful car sickness since I was a kid, thank goodness!

Ta,
                          Martin

Comment

No motion sickness here and I've been commuting to NYC for 27 years and love to read on the bus!
                            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal
                            2001 Right Scapular Resection
                            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Odd. I have always had a weak stomach and am often nauseous in the morning for no reason. I spoke to another girl who had similar problems. There are theories that a misaligned spine can cause digestion problems. I would say that motion sickness has something to do with decompensation, a lack of centredness of the head over the body as well as the head being on a slight angle because of one shoulder being higher than the other etc. I used to have excellent balance as a child, and now I can't go on a balancing beam without falling off. Darn vestibular disturbance!!

Comment

Working...
                              X