Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrogant doctors

Hi Majose,

I haven't seen Dr. Klein, but my story is similar in the fact that my original doctor was ranked number two in the world(I'm sure this can't be checked out but he is still one of the best), had horrible bedside manners and as far as waiting, here in Canada we have a public system health care so we have no choice but to wait sometimes all day when we have appointments, and we have no choice to accept the attitude that comes along with doctors, so I know how you feel.

Since then my doctor has moved back to Europe to practice orthopedics(He's from Switzerland, and a professor), so when my rod broke he wasn't here for me to ask him why it would happen, as I was stunned and didn't know a thing about all that can happen post op. Other doctors also told me that broken hardware can't cause harm, and that I should stay with it, but the pain was bad and all was getting messed up in there(screws were loosening, etc). Bone scans didn't show my non unions, and the doctor swore that was right, until I met my new doctor that performed surgery and replaced and fixed it.

Even this new doctor has a bit of a superior attitude, but I know now to trust only me and that they're not Gods.

Take it easy, and I know how you must feel.
    Last edited by sweetness514; 10-14-2006, 02:16 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Dr Keim

I saw Dr Keim in January 1976 at age 14 with double major curve (45 &53) that had progressed 10 + degrees each in a few months. Had surgery in April with Harrington rod and 9 months of body cast. While I had spondylothesis, it was not bad enough to operate.

I returned to competitve swimming, swam through college, when to P&S for grad school. He actually invited me to observe the surgery though I never went. He was a unique man- though anyone who takes drills and saws to the human body tends to have a many defense mechanisms.

31 years later I am beginning to have low back pain and some sciatica. I consider this a major success. I am married and have two teenage boys and work and swim and sail and ride bicycles. In 1994 I was able to complete the NYC marathon. I am blesssed! If I had not had the surgery, I know I would have become disabled and quite possibly not be alive today.

I understand he retired years ago to FLA and has improved his golf game. Good for him!

I have consulted with Dr Boachie (who did train under Dr Keim) and we agree to try together to put off any revision through stength, exercise and stretching for as long as possible. In the meantime I am the slightly overweight woman that sits through barbacues and other social events that most people stand through.

Comment

Experience with Dr. Keim

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in on my experience with Dr. Keim. When I was a PT student at Columbia in 1987 my scoliosis began to deteriorate very significantly. I was 39 at the time. I had worn a brace from age 12 to 15, and had experienced severe pain for many years. The school health service referred me to Dr. Keim because I was much too complicated for them to evaluate, and he was the leading scoliosis expert at the hospital at that time.

After having me wait two months for an appointment, and then wait in his office for more than 4 hours to see him, he didn't even look at my body - just the x-rays - and stated that I had to have surgery. When I told him that I was nervous about the prospect of having such complex surgery, he dismissed my fears as trivial and said I'd be "happy as a clam" when it was all over! Since I am not a bivalve I can't comment on the happiness of clams, but I certainly did not feel that he had a very good grasp of human beings.

I thought he was a horrible person and would never have let him thouch me even if he wanted to do the operation. Luckily, he felt that the surgery was too complex for him to do and he referred me to Dr. Jean-Pierre Farcy. Dr. Farcy had lectured to my PT class on the newest proceedures at that time for scoliosis surgery, and I thought he was passionate, knowledgeable and compassionate.

In 1988, the day after I graduated from my master's program in PT, I had an anterior-posterior spinal reconstruction and fusion from T-6 to L-4 (Zeilke and CD proceedures). I credit my long yoga practice and training in Physical Therapy for my recovery. Today I am still doing very well. I am a practicing PT and Yoga Teacher with specialties in pain management and scoliosis.

While I may not have appreciated Dr. Keim as a human being, I am very grateful to him for referring me to Dr. Farcy.
        T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

fellow keim patient

Hi There,
          I am new to these forums but am searching for other adults with similar experiences as mine. I had scoliosis corrective surgery at the age of 12 at Columbia Presbyterian, 1979. Dr. Keim was my surgeon. My parents chose him because of his reputation. My most difficult early memories of that time (surgery) was his abrupt mannerisms and how he would examine me in front of my father ...very humiliating to a 12 year old girl.
          I have congenital scoliosis due to a hemiverterbrate in my thoracic spine. At the time I was told the surgery was necessary because of the deformity. The scoliosis would increase to the point of compromising my lung function.
          I had the surgery and spent 9 months in a body cast. At the time I had a fellow patient who spent weeks in traction before her surgery. We were operated within a couple days of each other.
          I was able to have 4 comfortable pregnancies. The first three I opted for no pain medications at all. I did not want anyone touching my spine and was able to have a doula in the room who was prepared to help me through back labor. Thankfully, my first three deliveries were normal, uneventful and not a problem on my back. The last pregnancy was a breech birth and I had to go c-section. Again, I opted to not have an epidural as I didn't want my spine touched.
          I am now forty. I have arthritis in my neck and lower back. Muscle spasms are a daily occurrence. I use exercise and stretching to help control symptoms. I also will take celebrex, muscle relaxants and pain killers sparingly. I also have an inflamed right shoulder and an inflamed muscle in my left hip. So some days I feel like a war zone though I do know that comparatively I have done very well. The rod is still in place though at times it is uncomfortable. My physicians assistance recommends leaving it alone unless it starts to affect my daily functioning. They feel there is no way to know what it looks like in there until they open me up. The idea of removing the rods scares me but sometimes so does the sensations I feel around the rod.
          I would love to hear how other patients have fared, particularly those you have had rods in place for 20+ years. I am close to 29 years with the rod in place. I no longer live in the metropolitan NY area but am in the southeastern part of MA.

Comment

Dr. Keim

Jasper, I sent you a private message - LYNN
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

former patient of Dr Keim

I am new to this forum but as a former patient of Dr Keim's, I was looking for information on him when I came across this site.
              Dr Keim was a life saver in my situation. I was diagnosed as having NF 1 by him in 1977. I was born with a curved spine and despite repeat visits to hospitals and drs as a child, no one ever saw the severe curve in my spine. Due to the hardening of my curve by the time I saw Dr Keim, the rod he placed in my spine had to be bent as well. I am not perfectly straight, but I did gain 2 inches in height with surgery.
              I have been having some pain and recently found that I "may" have shruken nearly two inches. I am due to have a dexascan this week to determine if there is any bone loss in my back. I try to remain active and eat right. As my fusion is the entire length of my spine (except for the lower 3 vertebrae), I have difficulty performing exercises that I think would be beneficial to helping strengthen my back. Does any one have any pointers?
              Thanks

Comment

Dr. Hugo Keim

Dr. Keim was my surgeon in 1972. I've pasted below a post of mine from another thread:
                I had spinal fusion for severe, double-curve scoliosis in 1972 and have a long Harrington rod. I must have had a wonderful surgeon (Dr. Hugo Keim at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC), because I was pain-free and problem-free for almost 30 years. I've had two babies with no spine-related problems during pregnancy and normal deliveries. In recent years, my back has become "noisy," especially when carrying heavy items or twisting. The noises sound like bone crunching bone, and there is some sensation of grinding - but no pain - along with that. I began to have low back pain if I was on my feet too long or sitting bent over textbooks for too long. A recent new development of pain in the lower right quadrant sent me to the doctor suspecting an ovarian cyst, but an ultrasound exam found no problem in that area. My family doctor sent me for an x-ray to see if a problem in my lumbar spine might be the source of the pain. I don't have the radiologist's report yet, but I do have the x-ray, and even to my untrained eye, it doesn't look good. The Harrington rod appears to be attached at L3. Below this level, the vertebrae appear compressed and misaligned. I'm wondering if I can have an MRI with the metal rod in place. A woman who answered the phone at a local radiology facility says I can have an "open" MRI. If anyone has information or experiences to share, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
                After reading some other posts, I'm wondering if my curve was really as severe as I thought. It was a double, S-type curve, and I believe it was about 51 degrees in the thoracic region and nearly as great in the lumbar spine. There was a good deal of rotation as well. My ribs and shoulder blades were markedly uneven, protruding on one side and flat on the other. The impression my parents were given was that it was practically an emergency situation, so much so that they agreed to schedule surgery for the day after my 14th birthday (not a young teenager's idea of a great way to spend her birthday). I was in the hospital for a month, then home, mostly in bed for several more months. I wore a full body cast for 9 long, uncomfortable months with no baths or showers. When it was over, I had a substantial (although not complete) correction and was nearly two inches taller! As far as Dr. Keim's interpersonal skills go, I can only say that he never struck me as arrogant, and I consider my surgery to have been very successful. If he wasn't retired, I would probably be looking him up to evaluate my current situation.
                Last edited by snowflake; 06-28-2007, 10:26 AM. Reason: error in original post

Comment

Dexascan with Harrington rod?

[QUOTE=brendiane] I am due to have a dexascan this week to determine if there is any bone loss in my back.

Can you have a Dexascan with a rod in your back? I tried to have one done at a major facility here in Tampa last month and was told that because of my Harrington rod, they couldn't scan my spine. They scanned my hip instead.

Comment

One more thing, re: Dr. Keim

If I have any issue with Dr. Keim, it is this: At the time that I was diagnosed and had my surgery (1972), Dr. Keim told me and my family that scoliosis skips generations. This seemed to explain why neither of my parents had scoliosis. I was told that my children would therefore NOT have scoliosis, but they could carry the gene and pass it on to their kids, who might be affected. I believed what he told me - 100 percent. Why would I doubt him? When my daughter reached puberty, and scoliosis screenings were being performed at her school, I OPTED OUT of having her screened because of this misinformation. As a result, she was 13 and a half - and nearly done growing - before her scoliosis was discovered. Fortunately, hers is not as severe as mine was, and at this point, she is not expected to need surgery.
                    My son who is 12 has been checked and is unaffected.

I'm wondering if anyone else was told that they couldn't pass scoliosis to their children because it "skips generations"?

Comment

Skip a generation?

Hi Snowflake - I also was a patient of Dr. Keim's in 1981. I don't remember him saying that but what I do remember him saying is once I have this surgery, my back will never have any problems. So when my pain returned, I was completely baffled by it. I was pain free from 1981 - 1997, one great pregnancy and delivery. My daughter DOES have scoliosis, although mild and never braced. She is going to be 21 and her curve is under 20 degrees. I am the only one in my family (and I have very large family, cousins, etc.) that has scoliosis. My parents and sisters have no back issues. I am grateful for Dr. Keim though as I did have 16 years of no pain. Prior to that, I had pain from 12 years old until my surgery at 26. Take care, LYNN
                      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                      2000 Partial Rod Removal
                      2001 Right Scapular Resection
                      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Your statements just prove that doctors do not have all the answers. I’m not sure about the generational thing either. Other than me, no one in my family tree that I’m aware of from my grandparents on both sides to parents, siblings, aunts, cousins has or has had scoliosis. Most of them don’t even know what it is. I would be curious to know though if anyone has decided not to have children because they felt they might pass the gene on to their children. I never had children but often wonder if I would have passed it on to my offspring.

Chris

Comment

former pt dr keim , reply to brendiane

hello i read your profile and would like to say i was operated by keim nov 1980 and i am now 41 years old. recently i had a bone density done on left hip because the rt hip was grafted , taking 1500 mg of calcium a day i still had bone loss,, though my arm showed no bone loss. the most i can do is get active and build muscle, you mentioned that you took a dexascan? did it show any osteoporosis too? if any one else has had this who is in their 40's do reply . thank you , christine p.
                          also as a 6th grader i too felt terrified to visit dr. keim. although i was in a brace for 2 1/2 years and went to see dr.zamoski in monsey ny for that . he had wonderful bedside manners. but after a while i did not progress and was scheduled for surgey in the 9th grade. i must say i went to visit keim 11 yrs later for pain which was muscle spasms and what a difference. he wasnt doing surgey just consulting. when a dr is not under stress with wall to wall patients, he / she is so much more nicer? i dont know but i read lots of the horrors the former patients felt and you were not alone, but truly he didnt seem the same when i saw him last. plus i also work with them!
                          feel free to contact me. thanks
                          Last edited by paisano; 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I am a former patient of Dr. Keim too

I am new to this forum as well. And when I scrolled down to see this thread I was interested to see what everyone had written.

I was a former Dr. Keim patient. I had a Harrington Rod fusion in April 1981. Was in the hospital for a month then I did not have to wear a cast. I feel for the person who had to wear one for nine months. I was the 2nd patient for wearing a brace for the nine months. It was a very hard and difficult time for me I was only 13. Regarding Dr. Keim's bedside manner. Yes he did not have one but he was always direct and to the point. I like that in a doctor. I still need some hand holding but just give it to me straight. I always thought his secretary at his office was the worst of the two. Oh she was mean.

But that was 26 years ago. Now in the present, I have severe back pain, more than I can deal with on my own. Growing up I had pain but I was just glad to be alive. Now I cannot deal with it. I have had the worst experience of doctors trying to figure out what is wrong with me since May 07 when I actually said I had enough and something is wrong here. I have every test known unto man done. Seen orthos and neuros but the kicker here is that I went to The Rothman Center a big hospital in Phila that braggs that they are the best. I saw the top doctor there only to be humiliated and left crying after a 5 minute appointment. His little lackys who follow him around could not even find the X-ray that I had broght when asked. And you know it's bad when I get up off of the table and pull it out with no problem. To make a long story short, He wanted to send me to a neuro doc. And when I called to make an appt. they laughed at me and told me it would be a usless appointment because they would just send me back to Rothman. So calling the doc at Rothman and told them what the neuro said I got and this is a quote "I don't want to take your case because I feel uncomfortable" Wow what a blow to the gut.

The only good thing that came out of this is the fact that I found this forum and some people were boasting how Dr. Boachie is with re-visions. So I called and mad an appt w/ him, That was in October and I had to wait till 2/11/08. to see him and I am glad I did because he was thorough, and patient and empthatic and to the point.

The harrington rod that was installed in my back, the bottom part never fused to my back in 26 years. I also lost 3 inches due to the discs below the fusion are crushed so bad. And now I have an anterior fusion (ALIF?) and posterior fusion (either PLIF OR TLIF?) The only doctor who I seen before Dr. Boachie, that was right on the money was my pain management doctor. Everyone else was so wrong or not willing. I am very fortunate to have found and seen Dr. Boachie (thanks to the members who loved him which made me make an appt.) I don't know when the surgery will be but it better be soon. You would think that Dr. Keim would have seen it since we traveled 2 hours to see him for post-op appts. in which they took X-rays. That is where I am mad because I was also told the same thing that I will never have any problems for the rest of my life. Now look at me. And there is no responsiblity for the promises that were made long ago. That part makes me mad. He should donate (which Dr. Keim is very generous) to the patients he had that need to be repaired for the portion of what ever the insurance will not pay and have to come up out of my pocket. I am an average Joe here and cannot afford 40-100k out of my pocket. I am angry about that. So I am venting. I apologize if I offended any one. But this is the way I see it. This pain and suffering I have had and now have to have surgery has affected every part of my life. My marriage, my kids, and my new job i just got are all hanging on a thread. I think I paid my dues and I just want a break.

Comment

re: your 'war story' with dr. keim

oh my God! i'm so sorry you went thru that! but i am hoping that you are much better now, your spine i mean... i honestly never had ANY problems with dr. keim and his bedside manner. he'd been my scoliosis specialist since right before turning 13. he came highly recommended by an orthopedic specialist in brooklyn that my mom took me too after my original orthopedist was using MY x-rays for his students saying, "this is progressive scoliosis" but NOT TELLING US! my mom had a feeling that something was wrong 'cause of how my back looked, long story there... anyway i'm so sorry you didn't have a good experience with dr. keim. duh on my part--> sorry, i'm stasi (pronounced 'stacy') (tersieface2). i was 17 when dr. keim did my surgery in 1975. how old were you that year? we might have even been in the waiting room at the same time! LOL! ya never know! how are you now?! i recently (december 1st/08) 'celebrated' the 33rd 'birthday' of my spine! so far, my rod is still good, thank GOD that is... you must've been in a cast for 9 months as well since we had our surgeries the same year. you had yours way before mine in that year... i'm hoping you are NOT having any problems at all..
                              sorry i must make this a short note (laaa and/or do re mi) but i must.. you can e-mail me directly at: tersieface2@aol.com if you like...
                              healthy happy holidays to you!
                              God bless, stasi
                              stasi

Comment

Working...
                              X