No announcement yet.

from good to bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading all these mom posts has really got me thinking! I'm 15, and getting surgery on July 11th. Is my mom feeling like you guys? I'm worried that this is harder on her than I thought about before. Is there anything I can do to make it easier for her?
    ~Carole~
    Used to have an S curve of 55 and 55, but now I'm...
    STRAIGHT-SPINED AND HAPPY!!!
    Surgery July 11th went well, and I'm recovering now!
    Feel free to email me--I'm a bracing and surgery veteran and I love to talk!

Comment

Hi Carole,

You are so sweet to think of your mom! I can say from my point of view as a mom that it is hard on us, but it's our job to worry about our kids. It's what us moms do best! My advice is to keep the lines of communication open. Be honest with your mom, and talk to her. Let her help you get through this tough time. Let her be your advocate, your friend, and your champion. It will help her as much as it will help you! I feel so much closer to my daughter having gone through scoliosis surgery. The teens years can be really hard on us moms, and something major like surgery gives us a chance to reconnect with our daughters. Enjoy this chance to bond with your mom. You will remember this time forever. It can bring you and your mom closer, and hopefully you'll remember the special time you spend together as the best part of going through this tough surgery.
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

susannajon-- Thanks so much! You really helped. I'll make sure to keep communicating with my mom, and let her be involved. She and my dad are going to stay over the hill when I get my surgery so they can be with me all the time, and that's really nice of them, especially since they're going to be missing almost a week of work! Sometimes I just feel like so much of a burden with my back though, and I know I'm not in control of what my spine does, but some of this just puts my mom through the ringer.
        ~Carole~
        Used to have an S curve of 55 and 55, but now I'm...
        STRAIGHT-SPINED AND HAPPY!!!
        Surgery July 11th went well, and I'm recovering now!
        Feel free to email me--I'm a bracing and surgery veteran and I love to talk!

Comment

Hi Carole,

I have a really high stress job, and I travel 3 days a week, and sometimes it feels like I never see my daughter. I took two months off work to be with her while she recovered from surgery, and it was hard, but we really had a good time together. I got a much needed break from work, and she got a break from the stresses of school, and we got to just hang out and enjoy each other's company.

Please don't worry about being a burden. Our reason for living as parents is to give our kids the best possible life. I KNOW your parents feel the same way. We are just so grateful that we live in a country where we can get the best medical care for our kids. Keep those lines of communication open with Mom and Dad. Know that they couldn't possibly be anywhere but at your side while you have your surgery. I can tell in just the few lines I've read that you are a really special kid, and your parents have done a great job as parents, and they love you more than you know.

Enjoy this time with them! I wish you a quick and complete recovery!
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
          X