scoliosis screening in school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No screening here

i live in a school district in WI and just talked to the school nurse about why we don't screen. She is the only nurse in a district of 6 elementary, 1 middle and 1 high school. Apparently they didn't find it worth their time to check all kids at middle school given the small percentage of kids with scoliosis. So, no screening whatsoever here. (Although I remember a time when we screened every year. I thought I'd get a chuckle because I already knew I had scoliosis so for once others could be uncomfortable being screened - and wouldn't you know...the teachers all asked me to go first so they knew what to look for! Go figure! )

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

New Jersey school screenings

The school nurse checks in 6th & 8th grades. In my daughter's case, nothing was found in 6th grade. Since they skip 7th grade, she wasn't checked again until 8th grade & by then she had a 45 degree S-curve (the other curve is 27). Could it have gotten that bad that fast?? It's all my fault (we moms always take the blame, don't we?) because I never took her to the pediatrician for a regular physical between 6th & 8th grades. Otherwise, it would have been found sooner.
      Martha
      Mother of Laura, Age 19
      Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
      Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
      Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
      Fused T2-L2
      Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
      Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
      Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
      OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

malka,

Don't beat yourself up, you're not the only parent who didn't notice their child's Scoliosis. I did take (and still do) both of my daughters for a yearly check-up and my daughter's Scoli wasn't found until it was 36*. Just because you didn't take her for a physical in 7th grade, doesn't mean it would have been found sooner. Like I said, Jamie was checked every year by the same doctor and it was never found until she was 12 y.o. so, like you I beat myself up for not noticing it, but no you know what, it doesn't do any good to blame yourself! I know, we all go through that faze in the beginning, but we can't change anything now, so my advice would be to focus on the here and now. Good luck.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

And they should also check why scoliosis is developing? There is always a reason for it... most of them could be prevented. But they never check that.

Comment

Im 16 and live in the channel islands in the UK and the schools here don't do any checks at all. Im havin surgery in 3 weeks, which makes me angry cos no1 noticed my curve until it was 2late 4 a brace
            Becki
            16y/o girl
            42" thorocolumbar curve + rotation
            Had anterior surgery on 9th sept 2006
            www.myspace.com/curvesarecool

Comment

Originally posted by x-becki-x
              Im 16 and live in the channel islands in the UK and the schools here don't do any checks at all. Im havin surgery in 3 weeks, which makes me angry cos no1 noticed my curve until it was 2late 4 a brace
              A brace is not an answer. The answer would be to correct that problem what is causing the scoliosis.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEUPFNBXTNE

Comment

We live in North Dakota. Screening is done in 6th and 8th grade for girls and 8th grade only for boys. When I was in school it was done only in 7th grade, and since my sister's growth spurt was in 8th grade her scoli wasn't caught. Interestingly, both my mother and mother-in-law (in their 70's) also were screened for scoliosis in 7th grade.

Comment

I was checked in middle school, twice I believe, but I could be wrong. I think it was 6th and 7th grade. It was not caught either time and by the time I had my physical before entering 9th grade I had a 47 degree curve. How did they not catch it? I have a bad lumbar which may be a little harder to detect, but it is very visible when I bend over. Do they even know what to look for?
                  April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
                  Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
                  Now 18 years old
                  Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Comment

Working...
                  X