Blood chemistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood chemistry

It's been awhile since I posted, but the old saying 'no news is good news' may have a certain amount of credibility at some times Something I never thought about until my Primary Care Manager raised a concern was abnormal blood chemistry reports. She has been following it carefully, orders a blood workup each month since surgery (6 months post-op). My surgeon said that from his experience the counts should be back to normal. My WBC has been consistently very low, the Alkaline Phosphate number is extremely high. Has anyone had any experience with this condition? The elevated alkaline phosphate can be attributed to bone replacement involved with the fusion; however, she has no explanation for the abnormally low white blood cell count. I felt her concern and knew right where to go, to all you professionals.....:>) out there. She has referred me to the internal medicine clinic for follow-up: But I am open to any info any one of you might have. I will certainly also keep you posted on the subject as I receive it.
    Regards,
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Hi Gayle...

I found this by doing a web search:
    Leukopenia (a white count decreased to less than 4,000/µL) is seen in some viral infections or severe bacterial infections, and conditions that affect the bone marrow such as dietary deficiencies, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and autoimmune diseases.

I bet it can also mean nothing. I've had abnormally high platelets and white blood cells, and usually abnormally high red blood cells as well, for at least 15 years. There's a name for it (essential thrombocytosis), but for the most part, I'm asymptomatic. It was pretty alarming for the first year or two, but eventually we all stopped worrying about it (although I have blood tests every 6 months). Hope that's the case for you as well.

Regards,
    Linda

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey SkiAnn, Haven't heard from you in a while! I also had low WBC a year after surgery. You will also have a low WBC due to inflammation. I think due to the extent of our surgeries we will have some inflammation for awhile. It's been a little over a year for me now and I still get swelling. I'm going back in next Thursday, June 2nd, to have an osteotomy to correct my balance. Take care and try not to worry.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa...

I thought it was the opposite... that HIGH WBC counts were an indication of inflammation. No?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks alot guys, I can always depend on you! Have been fretting for awhile, nothing slow about me Will keep you posted if I learn anything additional. My research basically turned up the same info. so I guess we are on the same track.

Later,
          Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
          Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Linda, The nurse at school also researched it and confirmed that a LOW WBC can be from inflammation, also my surgeon said the same thing. My count was down to a 3.6 and when they checked it again a few weeks later it was a 3.4. HIGH WBC usually means an infection. Also a low wbc can be an after effect of an infection.
            Last edited by Theresa; 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
            X