No announcement yet.

Medical Costs - Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori, my son just had anterior surgery. I was surprised to find that the incision and the rib removal causes him more pain than the actual fusion. I assumed he would have terrible back pain as he healed but actually, he has had minor pain in his back and the worst as I said was from the incision and the ribs. The first days of recovery, it hurt him to just take a deep breath and now since he's been home (he's a week and 4 days post-op) it hurts mostly when he sneezes or coughs. He still has some mobility issues and is sleeping in a recliner in the livingroom since its hard for him to get out of bed once he's in it. Other than that, he's doing well.

The first few days after the surgery are the hardest and it gets progressively easier after that. Be prepared for the first and second days post-op. I was so worried about the actual surgery that I was totally unprepared for the initial recovery period and I found that pretty traumatic. We were assured by his medical team that everything he experienced was perfectly normal for after surgery (out of it from the pain meds, low oxygen levels from his system being so depressed from all the medication, getting sick from the medication), but being so unprepared caused me some pretty anxious moments.

I was also worried about our drive home (about 20 minutes from the hospital) but it was pretty easy on him. He took some pain medication prior to being discharged and I drove slow and very carefully, trying to avoid as many bumps as I could. I've heard its good to take a lot of pillows but he didn't use any. He sat in the front seat with his seatbelt on and said it was only minorly uncomfortable.

Your daughter's curves sound similar to my son's. His primary curve was lower and the discs below the curve were starting to shift and that was our primary reason for having the surgery sooner rather than later. We were concerned that the longer we waited, the worse the disc shifting would get and then we would be looking at surgery to correct the discs as well as the curve. He also wanted to get the surgery done and out of the way. I was terrified but his attitude was and is great and that's what has gotten him through the worst of it.

He also donated two pints of blood which they didn't need from blood loss due to the surgery but they returned to him anyway when he was in ICU.

I have to repeat what many on this site have said - our kids are just amazing. They are stronger than we give them credit for.

Please keep us posted on your journey - I wish you and your daughter only the best. Carol

Comment

Lori
      Nicole Goes For Pt 3 Times A Week She Started Going The First Week In June So He Didn't Want Her To Start Right Away. She Goes To This Place That Has A Pool. So Twice A Week Shes In The Pool And Then Once A Week With The Therapists. Its Good You Live Close Just Drive Slow Watch The Bumps In The Road She Will Be Fine. Your In Good Hands With Dr. Boachie. Nicole Had Bone Taken From Her Rib Also And Her Hump Is Gone. How Old Is Your Daughter?
      Theresa
      THERESA

Comment

well i know is that with DR.Donald the bill is about $166,000
        97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

Witty, you poor thing! I would talk to the hospital and your surgeon to see if there's any opportunity to write soem of that off.

Lori, I hope this helps. Here's my LONG list of suggestions:

Before surgery:

Don’t stop exercising. The stronger you are the faster you will heal. If you’re having muscle spasms and getting out of breath doing your normal sports, try a stationary bike or an elliptical for cardio, and do some strength training. You need to stretch your hamstrings and strengthen your core muscles (the ones that support your belly and back. Pilates is excellent for strengthening the core muscles, and yoga is great for stretching.

Try your best to get enough sleep before surgery, although it is really tough because you’re nervous. Make sure you take your iron and multi-vitamin. DO stop iron supplements a day or two before surgery and have light meals the last day so you don’t have problems with constipation after surgery.

Make sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially right before surgery. That first BM can be brutal, and if you have been good about getting your fiber before surgery, and minimizing red meat and dairy, it can make your first few days after surgery much more pleasant.

Don’t take any aspirin, Nuprin, Aleve or ibuprofen for two weeks before surgery. Also, stop St. John’s Wort, vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, or anything else that thins the blood.

Bring to the Hospital (for the patient):

I-pod or portable music device
          A couple of mushy familiar pillows
          Laptop or portable DVD player
          A couple of photos of friends and family
          Comfort object like a childhood bear (you're never too old!)
          Soft familiar pillows
          Slipper socks (the fuzzy ones with sticky bumps on the bottom, try Target, Wal-Mart)
          Plastic cup with a lid and straw
          Rinse free soap like Cetaphil. The soap the hospital has can be nasty.
          Body lotion
          Face care stuff (wipes, lotion, zit cream)
          Toothbrush and favorite toothpaste
          Feminine supplies (even if you just got your period, you'll probably get it again. This always happens to women/girls after surgery)
          Soft loose PJ's or sweats for after the catheter comes out and for the ride home
          Lots and lots of pillows for the ride home

The hospital will give you these lemon glycerin swabs to wipe your mouth when you aren't allowed to drink. Don't use them, they feel good for a minute, but then they make your mouth feel sticky. Wet a paper towel, and wipe your lips and tongue and suck on it a little. It's enough moisture to make your mouth feel better, and wet your mouth and throat a little, but not so much water it will hurt you.

If your hair is long, put it in two braids (like Pippy Longstocking) and get your family to brush it out every day when PT makes you sit up. Bring covered bands to fasten the braids. If your hair is short, consider trimming it even shorter to minimize the birds nest.

For your Caregiver:

A Journal is absolutely essential! It helps your caregiver stay on top of the nurses as far as when to administer pain meds. It will also help them to remember the names of doctors and nurses who administer care. Keeping a journal is also nice, because as a patient, you will forget most everything from the first few days because of all the drugs. It’s nice to be able to look back and realize what you have overcome.

Your caregiver will need to have some loose soft clothes or pajamas for sleeping in the room with you. They should bring sweats as well as a t-shirt and boxers, as the temperature in the room could vary quite a bit. They should also bring slippers and basic toiletries.

Your caregiver should bring several books, maybe a craft like knitting, and music or movies to watch. There will be lots of time when you the patient will be sleeping, and your caregiver will be bored.

Bring bottled water (the hospital air is VERY dry) and healthy “high energy” snacks like trail mix, nuts, and dried fruit. The whole hospital experience is extremely stressful for your caregiver, and they need to take care of themselves and take in enough healthy calories to maintain their energy and keep their immune system strong.

Your caregiver MUST have a respite plan. They can not sit by your bed 24/7. It is critical that they plan regular breaks to take a walk, step outside, eat a meal outside the hospital, etc. Your caregiver must take care of themselves so they can take care of you. Tell friends you don’t need flowers, you need visits so your primary caregiver can take a break.

Pain Management: If you start to feel anything other than mild discomfort (3-4 out of 10) insist on paging the pain management team, day or night. Even if you’re on the pump, they can come and give you a little extra zap. There is always a way to make you comfortable, so don't take "No" for answer. Pain slows healing and there is no reason for you to suffer.

Stuff for Homecoming:

A raised toilet seat with arms so you can get yourself up off the potty by yourself. VERY important for your self esteem.

A chair for the shower, because it's hard for you to stand for long periods in the beginning, and the combination of low blood volume, pain meds and heat can make you dizzy.

A comfy chair. Some people like a straight rocker with pillows. Many prefer a recliner. I got a LaFuma recliner, which is meant as a deck chair. It is small and light, and easy to move, not to mention you can get them on line for about $150. We put a couple of pillows in it, and my daughter lives in it right now.

A memory foam bed topper, at least three inches thick.

One or two body pillows. They are easier to position than a bunch of bed pillows, and they make you feel safe and supported.

A grabber so you can get things off the floor, or pull up a sock

Lots of DVD's (we belong to Netflix which was great because I didn't have to leave the house to get movies)

You might want to rent a hospital style table for a month or so.

Walkie Talkies or a baby monitor so you can "page" without screaming. Our portable phones have a pager feature, so we used them instead. You can also use a bell.
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi all and thank you so much for your responses. All this information has been and will be so helpful. This last week has been extremely hectic with all the pre-op medical appointments, and I haven't had a chance to visit this site until now. My daughter's surgery is scheduled for this wednesday 7/20 and when we were at Dr. Boachie's office on Thursday we met a young girl who is actually having the same surgery right after my daughter. I think they will be roomates. I went ahead and rented a hospital bed and got a raised toilet seat with arms. We really don't have room for a recliner so hopefully the hospital bed will make it possible for her to find a comfortable position.

Carol, I hope your son is continuing to make steady progress. I heard before that the worst part of the procedure is the pain in the ribs and the anterior incision. The fact that your son's procedure was so similar to my daughter's has helped me to prepare for what's to come.

Theresa, my daughter is 15 and I agree that Dr. Boachie has a wonderful reputation. It has also been a pleasure dealing with his office.

Susanna, I am going to refer to your list as we pack for our week at the hospital. I have already printed it out. We will also try to follow your dietary suggestions and avoid the pain of post-op constipation. My daughter also read over the suggestions and she really liked the idea of a bell.

We are actually in the process of adopting a kitten, so when my daughter comes home from the hospital she will have someone to keep her company.
            Thanks again for all your advice! I will keep you posted on how my daughter is doing and please keep me posted about your children as well.

Lori

Comment

hi lori
              my daughter had surgery with dr. boachie and when we went for her check up on thursday and as we were leaving his office we bumped into this girl my daughter knows from high school who is having surgery with dr. boachie on wednesday. I guess it is the girl that will be rooming with your daughter. I can't believe that.
              we'll be thinking of you guys on wednesday
              Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
                How is your daughter doing? I'm the Lori whose mother lives in Florida. Thanks for recommending this site, it's really helped us to prepare. My daughter has been reading the posts as well. The girl we met is from Wantaugh and I think her name was Lauren...or something like that. She was with her mom. It's a small world! Hope you are having a nice summer. We just finished redecorating my daughter's room and we are just about ready for Wednesday. Still have to pack our bag. My mom is going to fly up for two days to stay with me. Lori

Comment

hi lori
                  oh you are the one that i e-mailed with! How funny is that. I didn't realize that, i'm sorry. I told you how great this website is. I don't know what i would have done without it. So you were at boachie's office on thursday? I wish i would have known we were there also and as we left we bumped into that girl who is having surgery the same day as your daughter. What a small world. That girl goes to high school with my daughter and used to be a cheerleader in middle school with my daughter.
                  It will be great if they are roommates. When my daughter had surgery there weren't any other scoli patients or kids on the floor. You'll probably have a nurse "richard" he was great.
                  My nicole is doing great if you look under the post "nicole's 8 month check up" you can see how great everything is going. Dr. boachie lifted alot of restrictions so she is really happy.
                  well good luck and keep in touch and let us know how the surgery goes. When nicole got put in a room they wheeled in a computer for her, she really wasn't up to going on it, but it kept me busy all day and night long. You can ask them for the computer if they don't bring it to you.
                  Jennifer

Comment

Hi Lori,

We'll be thinking of you and your daughter over the next few days. These days before the surgery are the hardest. Try to get plenty of sleep, although you might not feel like you can. It sounds like you're really prepared. That's good. That should help you feel more relaxed.

Jennifer's right about the computer. Your daughter might not be up to it until maybe the last day or so, but it's a great distraction for mom.

The hospital can get really hot, so don't forget to take really light PJ's for sleeping, and maybe a little portable fan. They're technically not permitted, but the nurses won't say anything if you are discreet. Also sweats in case the A/C kicks into high gear.

Please give Richard a big hug from us, and again, our thoughts are with you!

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Lori,

I'm glad to hear everything is moving along. I was on high anxiety those last few days before the surgery. Its hard, I know, but try to get some rest as the days in the hospital are pretty tiring for everyone.

I'm so glad I was able to help you. Please be sure to post as soon as you can to let us all know how your daughter is doing.

My son is doing great in his recovery. He has been out with his friends here and there although he seems to prefer staying inside for the most part. He is very conscious of his incision and is nervous about getting bumped.

I have a question for all you moms who are on the other side of this surgery...how long did it take for your kids to get back in a regular bed? My son is still in the recliner. He says it hurts his back to get out of bed and after the fiasco we had the first night he came home from the hospital (got in the bed, had an awful time getting out due to pain and mobility issues) he is not anxious to try. I guess it doesn't much matter but I'm concerned he isn't getting solid sleep in the recliner. He sleeps for an hour or so, wakes up, sleeps for an hour so all through the night.

Lori, I think its excellent that you went a head with renting the hospital bed. I am thinking we should have done that as he did really well in the hospital bed in the hospital. The way the back goes up and the whole bed goes lower was very helpful in getting out of bed while he was there.

Comment

Hey Lori
                        Wanted To Wish You Well For Wednesday. Richard Is A Great Nurse One Of The Best We Had Him Only For 1/2 Day. We Had A Nurse Named Kim She Was Also Very Good And Nicole Liked Her Better Than Richard Sorry Richard If Your Reading. I Turned Him Onto This Site While I Was In The Hospital.
                        Keep Us Posted Lori.
                        It Will Be Over Before You Know It.
                        In My Prayers
                        Theresa
                        THERESA

Comment

Many thanks to all of you for the support and the suggestions. I will definitely ask if we can get a computer in the room; I was wondering how I was going to live without it!
                          Tonight was difficult. Suddenly my daughter Madelaine seemed to realize that she is really going to have this procedure done and she is starting to panic. For some reason she is focused on wanting to know exactly how they are going to put her to sleep before the surgery. She's worried about the I.V. and about them putting a mask on her face. Does anyone out there remember that final procedure before you're out? Last night she slept very little and tonight she had a bit of a melt down. I'm divorced and on my own here and feeling very helpless. I still have so much to do to prepare ....it's always the most difficult when we are both stressed out. Some how we will make it through the next 30 hours.....I hope! I'll keep you posted, Lori

Comment

preop prep

My prayers go out for you during this time!

Griff went into the first room, where they weighed him and got him into a gown. They put an iv in and started him on some glucose. It wasn't painful. After a bit, they wheeled him into the real prep area. They gave him some valium because he was starting to stress out. I wanted some, too! The spine monitor doc came in and hooked Griff up to the monitor;lots of little leads glued to his head and a couple to his collar bone area. The anesthesiologist gave him some drugs to help with nausea. He started getting very sleepy. The nurses came by, the dr came by, so we knew everyone who would be with him in the operating room. He was out by the time they wheeled him in.

They take them to recovery after the surgery, and then you can see them once they get them to their rooms. Griff was groggy and a bit sick that first day. The second day they kept him in bed, and he did pretty well. He had the catheter and pain pump. The third day was the worst. They tried to get him up and he almost passed out the first time, and puked the second. He didn't feel so well on day 4 until the evening, when he got up and around and did so well, we went home day 5.

Wet washcloths on the forehead!

Comment

Thanks for sharing that information about your son's surgery. It makes me weak in the knees just reading your description. How old is your son? How long ago was his surgery? How is he doing now? Lori

Comment

surgery costs

I was just wondering much it costs in the U.S to have surgery for scoliosis including having metal rods put in? I live in Canada and had my surgery here so there was no costs involved but I was just curious?

Comment

Working...
                                X