worrying about timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worrying about timing

My son has a anterior congenital fusion on t8-t12 causing kyphosis. The doctors have told us that we should have surgery soon to stop the progression of the curve. They are not recommending any correction to the existing curve so whatever curve is present at the time of the surgery is the curve he will have to live with. Currently the Shriners hospital we hope to use is scheduling in July. At the earliest we likely could expect surgery in mid July. My son would very much like to postpone surgery until mid August so that he could attend a big Scout function. We saw a doctor yesterday for a second opinion and my son asked if he could wait until August. The doctor told him yes, but I am still concerned about any additional wait. It seems to me that every centimeter the curve progresses is a centimeter worse. The doctors have indicated that sooner is better, but how much difference would one month make? I'd like to have the surgery next week to stop the progression now but apparently that isn't possible. If one month really wouldn't make a difference I'd just as soon let him wait because his attitude would be better and because he really has had a positve opinion so far. On the other hand, I don't want to be foolish and want to do what's best for him in the long term. I also may be over thinking this decision since it is the only thing I have any control over Any thoughts?

Dawn,

I understand your frazzled thoughts on this. Unless your son is going to hit a rapid growth stage before August, putting off surgery for a month shouldn't make much difference. No one can predict when kids will have a growth spurt. If they could, you wouldn't be having this dilema right now. If you are questioning the surgeons plan or any part of his/her recommendations, get another opinion. You need to be 100% confident in the skills and recommendations given to you. Mid-August is only 3 months away. The statistics are on your son's side that he won't be going through a major growth spurt before then. Good luck!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X