Thread: Surgeries in 1988 and 1990...now a third?

Woodbridge, Va (near Washington, D.C.) USA

Surgeries in 1988 and 1990...now a third?

This is my first post on this site. I wore a Milwaukee brace for 3 years, had Harrington rod/spinal fusion surgeries in 1988 and 1990 (at 16 and 18 years of age), and am now 33, married, with 2 young children (4 and 2). Over the last few months, I have developed pain in my upper back, around the top of my rod. Recently, I have been to the emergency room due to the pain, I've seen my family practitioner and received pain medication, and been to an orthopedic clinic in Northern Virginia. They took x-rays of my neck and reviewed the x-rays and CT scan from my ER visit, and determined that my neck is fine. They suspect that the pain is caused by my rod ("symptomatic hardware"), so I'm having a bone scan on Thursday, and a follow-up with the orthopedic surgeon on June 2. It has been suggested that my rod may need to be removed.
    That said, I'm terrified. My first surgery was a horrendous experience. And I had to have everything "hacked out" (my second surgeon's words) and replaced because it was done incorrectly and the rod remained loose in my spine for 2 years. That pain was bad enough, but now I have 2 little ones who rely on me. I feel like I "haven't got time for the pain" (isn't that a commercial??).
    So, I guess I'm just really nervous about this upcoming bone scan and what it may or may not reveal. I felt like I was going nuts after my first surgery because the surgeon said he'd never had a patient report so much pain following surgery. Well, the x-rays taken on the OR table showed that the rod was already out of the hook. I don't know how they missed that!
    It has been terribly helpful to read all of the shared experiences and support shown on this board. Thank you all for sharing. I look forward to seeing if anyone has had an experience like mine.
    Much love to all,
    Mylinda
    Virginia, USA
    Mylinda

Hi Mylinda...

I'd like to encourage you to find a surgeon who has a lot of experience treating people with prior scoliosis fusions. It's probably the only way you're going to get a correct diagnosis.

Disc problems above and below the fusion mass are pretty common, so it's possible that you might only need your fusion extended by one level, which should be a relatively easy surgery. Another possible explanation for your pain could be junctional kyphosis, which occurs when the spine falls forward at the top of the fusion.

Regards,
    Linda

Woodbridge, Va (near Washington, D.C.) USA

Thank you so much for the reply...

Linda,
    I'm a moderator on another scoliosis support discussion board, and have seen many recommendations for this board and, specifically, for you as a moderator and mentor. Thank you so much for your input and for the information. I will be having a bone scan later today (Thursday, May 19), which will, hopefully, show what exactly is going on with my rod. The orthopedic surgeon I will be following up with on June 2 has a very good reputation, but I will definitely keep your advice in mind to seek out a surgeon who has loads of experience with scoliosis and previous spinal fusions.
    Many thanks for your time and experience.
    Mylinda
    Mylinda

Mylinda...

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Linda