Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. ANAND - LA, CA - Mt. Sinai Center any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. ANAND - LA, CA - Mt. Sinai Center any info?

Hello All -
    My daughter has been diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis for 4 years . it started with a 10 degree curve and has now progressed to 35 degrees. I realize that this isn't much - however her pelvis is tilted and she does look deformed from the shoulder and the waist area.

We are from Michigan - and most of the doctors here that we have seen have only said to 'wait and see'.
    We went to Dr. Anand in California to get another opinion - and he has agreed that she should have surgery to correct the deformity -
    He does the Anterior Approach - and says that she will have L2-L5 fused.

1) Does Anyone have any prior experience with Dr. Anand at the Mt. Sinai Center in Los Angelos, California?

2) what about getting this many of the vetebrates fused - how will her mobility / flexability be?

-Any information would be very much appreciated & helpful
    -Thank you & God Bless.

(Please email at shagunshop@yahoo.com if you have time).

Hi...

I've always said that if one looks hard enough, one will find someone who is willing to do surgery. I don't know anything about Dr. Anand, but I would worry that he's doing the surgery simply because that's want you want.
    At 35 degrees, there is no guarantee that your daughter's curve will continue to increase. So, it's entirely possible that you'll be having her undergo surgery for no reason.

Is your daughter in a brace?

I'm not a medical professional, but I've read and/or heard things about ending fusions at L5 causing future problems with deterioration of the L5-S1 joint and potential "transition" problems. It might be a good idea to discuss the possibility of surgery with yet another surgeon who should be able to tell you what the future might hold if you go ahead with surgery to L5.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Slow down

I agree with Linda 100%. Have her "end plates" been x-rayed to see if she has stopped growing? If she has stopped growing there is a real possiblity that she won't need surgery and her back has stabilized. I would ask why he wants to do surgery so fast.....why not brace her first if she has not stopped growing. This is a HUGE surgery to undertake. There is plenty of time to take the LAST step,which is surgery, I would really question Dr.A why he didn't suggest bracing.
      SandyC
      SandyC

Comment

Thank you for the both of you that have repiled..

We will be having a telephone conference with Dr. Anand on Friday to discuss things that my daughter wants to ask about - and with what you have mentioned. I will keep you updated.

Thank you so much, I never considered these other things....

Comment

Working...
        X