Yoga for scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga for scoliosis

I'm investigating the Elise Miller Yoga for Scoliosis programme to help with when I can finally begin getting out of my brace. I have heard of people with and without fusion who have found it helpful, sometimes dramatically so. It is designed for those with scoliosis but, I emailed her to ask which people with fused backs should avoid. Obviously everyone should check with their consultant, but this is her reply:

Dear Lavinia,
    Thank you for your interest in my video.
    You can definitely use my video alone by being very conscious of
    good bodily alignment. In other words, this video will teach you to fold
    from the hip rather than the waist so the spine stays in
    a relatively neutral position. The only pose you should not do with a fused
    spine is lying over the bolster. You may also be a little limited in the
    chair twist and you will feel how far you can go. You may first consult with
    your doctor and then find a yoga center in your area where a class may help
    you exercise the poses with proper alignment.
    All the best,
    Elise

yoga

I purchased the video several months ago and while I have practiced yoga since the 70s it was benneficial in working with my specific curve and also made me rethink certain postures that I love but right now are irritating a disk that is bulging and quite painful. I just gave a copy of the video to my Ortho. for consideration with other patients.

Comment

Yoga

Where would I purchase a video by Ms. Miller? Kathleens rose

Comment

http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com/
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Word of warning - do get your consultant to go through with you to see which you can and can't do - I shall be doing this when I see my medic in a couple of weeks. And don't overdo it - I got the OK to start swimming last week, thought I had started gently and have been in a great deal of pain ever since. It is so difficult not to overdo things. I'm trying to find an experienced yoga teacher to make sure I do the yoga properly and don't push myself.

Best,

Lavinia

Comment

Working...
          X