Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery looking imminent for my 14-year old son.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery looking imminent for my 14-year old son.....

Hello,

I have a 14-year old son with thoracic and lumbar scoliosis. His last dr. appointment in March showed he not only went through a major growth spurt (1 1/2 in. btwn Nov. & March) but his scoliosis had also progressed to 44 upper/42 lower. His ortho dr. feels bracing is not a realistic option and suggested he may need surgery by next summer or sooner. We are supposed to go back in September, but I am considering taking him sooner-I had him bend over so I could look at his back and it is starting to look so distorted I almost lost it (emotions) in front of him. I know it is not an emergency at this moment and I am torn between holding off as long possible so he can still enjoy his youth and wanting to get it over with so he can get on with his life. I'm really scared thinking about the surgery and still hoping to find another alternative. Are there any success stories out there using the STARS treatment, or through yoga and excercise. I recently purchased Elise Miller Brown's "Yoga for Scoliosis. I went through the video a couple of times and feel it will be helpful for my son and myself (also a scoliosis sufferer). Many of the excercises in the dvd/book are grouped together for specific curves. In fact, many of the excercises/stretches I was already doing occasionally. I would like to hear from anyone, particularly those who have experienced the surgery already. I really need to know what to ask the dr. I know there's many questions, but this is so overwhelming I can hardly think. Also how to help my son cope, he won't talk about it much but I know he's scared. Ok, enough for now. Take care everyone, and hope to hear from you soon!

Flowerpower

My Son also has an "S" Curve

Flowerpower --- I can relate to your experience. My 10 year old son has also been diagnosed with Scoliosis 26 deg top and bottom. We are in the waiting game and visiting the doctor every 4 months. How long ago was your son's Scoliosis diagnosed? Please keep me posted on your decision and how things progress.

John M

Comment

Working...
    X