Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limitations

I know I've read that someone has snow skiied after surgery and someone has done roller coasters, but Tara was asking me what she would absolutely not be able to do. Have your Dr.s indicated any total limitations like sky diving, water skiing, water tubing, bungee jumping, etc.?
    Have your Dr.s said long term what expectations there are for disc problems or hardware problems, or arthritis like 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years?
    Thanks for your help.
    Linda

Hi Linda...

It appears to me that most doctors of teen patients tell the patients that after 6 mos., they'll have few restrictions. I think that the only restriction I've ever heard named was skydiving.

What many doctors don't tell patients is that there can be problems above and below the fusion, especially for patients fused below L1 or L2.

If it were my kid, I think I'd try to discourage any activities in things that are traditionally bad for the spine (running, golf, skiing, etc.). I think that occasional activities like rollercoasters are probably OK, especially for kids not fused to the lower lumbar area.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Crystal's doctor has said no skydiving, bungy jumping, or anything that will snap that back. However, he is telling her she can go back to full activities at 9 months, that includes basketball, rodeo, and volleyball.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

And, I don't know any orthopod who approves of trampolines. Braydon is not allowed to be on a trampoline or take part in full-contact sports (ie. football). If Tara has snow skied before, and learns how to fall correctly, she may be able to do that again. I know some kids here in the mountains where we live who go back to snow skiing and actually do much better after surgery because their bodies are in better balance.

Each patient is very different and unique. An activity that is too risky for one, may be okay for another to try. The extreme things would be obvious, like skydiving. Everything else is probably on an individual basis.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hello I am actually new here but I may be able to help. I am 22 and had the surgery 10 years ago. I have been skydiving and tubing and skiing and everthing else you mentioned. I have absolutely no restrictions(except for a back bend) and have no other problems. I have no arthritis and is just as active now then ever, even though the surgery was far more invasive then than now.Dont worry you will be able to do everything that you did before. So good luck
          N.S.[

Comment

Hi Linda
            You mentioned problems above and below the fusion: is that just when taking part in wild activities or is it a typical experience - and what kind of problems. Genevieve is to be fused right down to her pelvis so you've got me worrying.

Lorrie

Comment

Hi Lorrie...

I honestly don't know how common it is, but it's definitely a problem for some. The discs above and below the fusion take the load of the fused areas, and over time degenerate. I've been relatively good about my activities, but still have complete degeneration of the first disc below my fusion, so it's hard to say whether risky activities are actually any more of a problem than non-risk activities.

The good news for Genevieve is that there are no discs below her fusion to degenerate. However, she may find that she has problems in her S-I joints, hips, knees, etc. as she ages.

I'm not a medical professional, but I'd recommend to anyone undergoing scoliosis surgery to stay active and fit, as I think they're the best defense.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

differing info

I would really like to know what all your drs said about sports in particular. If rodeo is okay, why wouldn't football? Is it the hitting?

I am asking because Griff is so passionate about football, and the dr said no more. Maybe it is because of the type of correction he is getting and where?

Sigh. I know there are bigger issues out there than playing football, but I figure all you moms know how it is when something is so important to your child.

Thanks

Gigi

Comment

Gigi,
                  With my girls, they run speed events at rodeo. They run barrels, poles, goat tying, team roping, and breakaway roping. However, if they were riding rough stock, I am totally sure that would be out. Yes, there is always the chance of a wreck on their horses, but their horses are pretty safe mounts. I guess I look at it as you can have a car accident or something like that too.

I have heard that the boys that have these surgeries can't go back to football because of the tackling that goes on.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Gigi,

I know exactly how you feel about Griff's football. My daughter loves to ride our 4-wheeler and of course she can't do that at this point. She also loves roller coasters and I don't know if she will be allowed to ride them in the future or not. I know the amusement parks all have signs posted at the beginning of the rides warning you if you have back problems, heart problems or are pregnant, that the ride may not be for you.

I know one of Jamie's first questions for her doctor in June will be can she start riding the 4-wheeler again. I doubt he will okay it for this year, but hopefully she will be allowed to do so in the future.

It is hard enough on these kids to go through surgery and everything, but it doesn't seem fair sometimes and I feel so bad for them when they have to give up something they really love.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou; I know exactly what you mean. It isn't fair. And I think one of the blessings of this board is we can tell each other that. We can cyber hug, and then support each other knowing it is better in the end. I ache for Griff; football is so important to him, and he is pretty darn good. But I also know that it is more important that in 20 years, he can lift up his own child without being in pain; that he will be able to play basketball and maybe find some other passion as well. But is still is so hard!

Nikki; your girls sound pretty impressive. We have been to the Sisters rodeo a number of times. I like the barrel racing, but my city (well town) girl heart cannot stand the calf roping! But I am also a girl who always wanted a horse, and even had a Jane West doll with Flame, the horse. Does that date me as well!? I can see how it is different from football, though, like basketball. there can be collisions, but not quite like football (or an ATV)

thanks as always Gigi

Comment

Gigi,

If it weren't for this board I would have lost it a long time ago! My Mom, who I love dearly and is always there for me, sometimes would drive me nuts thoughout all of this. When Jamie wouldn't wear her brace, my Mom would say that we just have to force her to wear it. Easy for her to say that, because she wasn't the one crying and fighting with Jamie to get her into the brace. I know she meant well and I don't know how I would have gotten through Jamie's hospital stay without her, but unless you have gone through what we are with our kids, people just don't understand. Even now, people make comments that it has been almost five months since Jamie's surgery, let her grow up and get on with her life! Those people, I'd just like to smack them in the face and I'm not a violent person! Thank God for this board and people who understand.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                          i agree that people just don't understand. We went through the brace issue, where people would say just make her wear it. Easier said then done!!! I couldn't literally throw her down and strap the brace on her. They didn't live with the screaming and fighting and crying about wearing it. Also, now since the surgery people don't understand that she still has limitations and cannot do alot of things. I am finding it harder and harder everyday since the nice weather is here also, that there are so many things that she wants to do and isn't allowed. And she is getting jealous that her friends can do all these things that she can't do. I am looking forward to her next appointment and hopefully more restrictions will be lifted. She was hitting a volleyball against the house the other day, i don't even know if she is allowed to do that. I told her she can't. I am still nervous about her doing anything. Everything she does i tell her "you can't do that", she is getting annoyed. For everything that we've been through i just don't want anything to go wrong.
                          Jennifer

Comment

Hi Linda
                            Thanks for the info - it's good to know what to worry about!
                            We'll just have to take things as they come as Genevieve ages - she can't really do fit and active though I work hard on her physio to try to maintain her range of movement and posture.

Regards

Lorrie

Comment

Working...
                            X