Rib prominence returns after removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib prominence returns after removal

How common is it for a rib hump to return a couple of years after the surgery to remove the rib hip? I have met a couple of people, and seen quite a few people posting that this happened to them after surgery.

Central...

While I've heard from quite a few people whose rib humps returned after spinal fusion, I don't think I've heard from a single person who had a rib hump return after thoracoplasty. Is that what you're referring to?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I meant thoracoplasty. I guess in that case that these people did not have thoracoplasty, but just a couple of ribs removed from the front as part of the anterior surgery.

Comment

Central...

Removal of pieces of ribs, in whatever form, is a thoracoplasty. Did both of the people that you met have the same surgeon?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I had an entire rib removed...does that count? Obviously it never grew back:-P But I have had a few people tell me that when they had just pieces of the rib removed that eventually it does grow back. Maybe my information is incorrect? I'm interested in knowing just for the sake of information anyhow.
          Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

LittleOne...

Having one rib removed for access to the front of the spine isn't a thoracoplasty. If, when ribs are cut, the sheath on the outside of the rib is retained, the rib will grow back. In thoracoplasty, the point is for the ribs to grow back in a flattened position.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

I dont think the two people i have met were operated upon by the same surgeon. One lives in chicago, the other in Florida. I have no idea who either of their surgeons were.

Comment

oh, thanks. Good to know :-)
                Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Working...
                X