Claritin after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claritin after surgery

Just wondering if anyone can answer this for me. My nicole is 5 months post op and has her first cold since her surgery, i know she is not allowed to take advil for a year, but wanted to make sure it is all right if i give her claritin and some nasonex (nasal spray) for her cold or dayquil. I don't want to give her anything that i'm not sure about. So if anyone knows please let me know. It's sunday and the surgeons office is closed or else i would have called them
    thanks
    Jennifer
    Last edited by jc3; 04-17-2005, 10:30 AM.

Hi Jennifer

I Don't Know The Answer To Your ? Just Wanted To Say Hi. I'm So Worried About Nicole Getting Sick A Friend Came Over Yesterday And She Had A Little Cold. I Told Her SHE Couldn't Stay. It Was A Quick Hello And Goodbye. I Was Very Upset With Her Mother But I Guess People Don't Realize. Well Hope Nicole Feels Better Soon.
    Theresa
    THERESA

Comment

Jennifer, I took Benadryl after my surgery and Claritin D. My doctor had said no Iburpropen (sp) unless you really had to. Just make sure on the ingredients that it is tylenol and not iburpropen. Hope she gets to feeling better.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

hi theresa
        right after nicole's surgery as well as before the surgery, i was a freak about anyone getting her sick and i don't blame you for being annoyed about someone coming over that was sick. I was the same way and when nicole had her surgery it was wintertime so there were alot of germs going around. And before her friends would come to visit i would make her ask them if anyone had a cold. Thank goodness she hasn't gotten anything until now and she is going to be going on 6 months already. So like i said to my husband, at least it is now and not 3 months ago. I guess i will wait and call the dr. tomorrow. I don't want to take any chances on giving her anything that she isn't allowed to have.
        Jennifer

Comment

Thanks theresa
          I figured that the claritin was okay, but wasn't sure about the dayquil. I think there is tylenol in there, not Iburpropen but i will check.
          thanks - Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Claritin is fine, and so is Dayquil, but if she's still taking pain meds check the total acetaminaphen per day. She should have more than 4000 mg per day. Each of her percocets have 325 mg. A dose of Dayquil has 700 mg. Exceeding the max acetaminaphen dose per day can cause liver damage.

Susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi susanna
              thanks so much for replying. I thought if you saw my post you would know the answer. She suffered all day yesterday because i didn't want to give her anything without double checking. I thought it would be fine, but i didn't want to take any chances.
              She is not on any pain meds so the dayquil will be okay.
              How is grace doing? Hope all is well, thanks again for replying
              Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

The best thing to do before giving your kid anything over-the-counter is to check the label of the medicine for active ingredients. The only OTC pain reliever that's safe for our kids for the next 12 months is Acetaminophen, brand name Tylenol. Everything else is off-limits.

Examples of "bad stuff" include:

Aspirin: Brand names Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin

Ibuprofen: Brand names Advil, Motrin IB

Naproxen Sodium: Brand name Aleve

Ketoprofen: Brand name Orudis KT

One dose won't hurt her, but extended use should definitely be avoided. Hope this helps!
                Susanna
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                X