Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My life with scoliosis

Celia

Yes i have had a number of removable casts, these can either be done up at the back or at the front, which are great especially when your growing up and at High school becasue you get to leave it a home until you go to bed. I found these to be more comfortable than permanent braces because they are easier to sleep in. I was treated my Ms Mehta since I was 2 months old and have an excellent doctor patient relationship with her. I am still going to have checkups and the last time my curve was at 14 degrees, and i am due for another checkup with Mr Tucker (Miss Mehta's successor) i'll get an x-ray from when i was younger to older and you'll be able to see the difference. If you ever need more information about the types of casts i had then just email me at: maos16@aol.com, and I will give you all the information i can.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc H; 05-18-2005, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Marc,

Thank-you so much for writing back to me. I don't know if you read about Deirdre ( my daughter ) but she is also being treated with serial casts. She is due for her last cast change in a couple of months and after that she will be fitted with a removable brace. Were you routinely put under anesthetic for the casts/removable casts ? Deirdre has had a lot of trouble with the anesthetic and I don't know if she will ever go back into casts - I'm quite fearful of the reactions she has had to the anesthetic. On the other hand, I don't want her curve to progress to the point where she will require surgery and anesthesia will definitely be required. Her doctor seems to think that she is ready to come out of the cast, so we'll see. They are all very happy with her development. She is quite famous in the orthopaedic department at the hospital.

I read on another post that you have only had 27 x-rays ? That's very good ! Deirdre is only 4 1/2 and she is already up to about 40 x-rays - this really worries me. The doctors don't seem to be very concerned about x-ray exposure. I read about P/A standing x-rays reducing the amount of radiation targeted at organs rather than A/P and they STILL insist on A/P x-rays. I feel like I'm against a brick wall - no one is listening.

Did treatment with casts and braces stop when you were 13 or 14 years old ? What kind of brace did you wear, was it a milwaukee ? Did Miss Mehta prescribe any exercises ?

I'm so glad that you posted, I need to hear more happy endings. Oh, you should start your own thread - I feel like we've hijacked this one.

Celia
      Last edited by Celia; 05-19-2005, 07:57 AM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Casts

Celia

Hi! Yes when I was younger I was put under anesthetic, but only to stop me moving. The last time I had anesthetic was when I was five becasue thats when I had my last serial cast until I was 13, but in between them I have a few removable braces. Also I when I went for X-rays up until the age of six or seven I had to lay down for X-rays after that I did stand. If Deirdre does need anesthetic but she reacts strangely to it then your doctor should find another way of fitting the cast even if you have to hold her on your lap.

I can understand what you mean about the x-rays, 40 at only 4 1/2 is a bit much I only had 9 or 10 when I was that age. What is your doctor like when you go to see him, does he explain things and does he listen?. If not then you need to see if you can find someone for a second opinion. The removable brace is a lot better than the permanent one as it gives you more freedom to move and as time goes on you can make the cast tighter or looser. And it can be taken off during bath time.

My last serial cast (not sure of the name it goes round the torso and over the shoulders) I had for 6 months when I was 14 and for 6 months after that I had a removable cast, which i only wore at night.

There are exercises which can help i.e. Sitting with your torso curved the opposite way to the spinal curve, and sitting with good posture and I know it may be difficult with a 4 1/2 year old but doctors don't usually start exercises until the age of 7 or 8.

Oh i have started a new post if you look under need help? on the main menu for this thread. Or you can email me at: maos16@aol.com

Hope to hear from you soon.
        Last edited by Marc H; 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X