Years after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi N.S....

For the record, many surgeons still take bone from the hip (which is called autograft, and the bone is actually the iliac crest). I wouldn't even bother correcting you, but didn't want anyone whose surgeon is still using autograft to think that the surgeon is in the dark ages. I think it's more common to use to use cadaver bone (allograft) in kids than it is in adults, and hopefully we'll see more and more surgeons feeling OK about moving away from autograft.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

NS
      thanks for writing and sharing and it's nice to hear success stories like yours.
      Jennifer

Comment

Not alone.

Just would like to add my two cents to this forum, first I never had a rod placed for support, if my surgery would have been done at a much later date instead of in 1954 and as an experimental surgery. I'm sure they would have used at least one and possibly two, my fusion was complete from T1, T2, S1, S2, L3-L5. Even today at 55 years of age, my Scoliosis is progressive and of course with the average, normal and expected side impressions that most of us at are age and with severe scoliosis experience. Anyway, I also have a daughter 24, (surgery at 8) with Scoliosis and a rod, sure I do worry because of what I do hear daily regarding the rod. But presently, she is working full time and enjoying life, I let tomorrow worries take care of itself. I do one day at a time, if and when her rod does give her a problem, it will be removed I hope and not replaced. But that is then, today is now. Most people within this great forum, know what and how I feel about surgery, I'm not a fan of it, unless of course it is a life situation, and not cosmetic.
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

I have a question Linda, what is allograft? I had autograft.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Allograft

Allograft is a transfer of one's own tissue from one location to another (eg, a bone graft to stabilize a fracture). AN allograft (homograft) is a graft between genetically dissimilar members of the same species an Xenografts (heterografts) are transplants between members of different species. With rare exceptions, clinical transplants are thus allografts from either living relatives or cadaveric donors.
            Hope this helps....God Bless.
            Live long and prosper!

Comment

Thank you for the info and responding to my post
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Years after surgery

Born October 1951
                Scoliosis detected in 8th grade.Was told that it would be okay.Four years
                later,trouble breathing,pain,slumped shoulder,one leg shorter a S curve,
                about 60.Had surgery in 1971,rods,fussion,body cast from shoulders down
                to the hip.On a stryker bed for 1 month in the hospital.Sent home and in bed
                for 5 months could not get up.About a year after operation a rod broke
                are came loose in the lower part of my back.They removed both rods.
                Doctor told me he never wanted to see me again,i know he was joking,but
                guess what i never saw him again.I wanted to be a good scoliosis patient.
                I have worked over 29years as a service tech installing and troubleshooting
                printing equipment.Spent a lot of on my feet,crawling,climbing,bending etc.
                My workday ended in pain and sleepless nights.Probably a lot of things in
                the workday i should have said can't do but it was work.Now 53 and my
                company downsized.Tried to find several jobs but my age and back could
                be the downfall.I have applied for SSI and SSID.
                In 1971 5'11 176lbs
                In 2005 5'7 186lbs
                Fussion from T-4 to L-4
                Pronounced rotoscoliosis convexed to the right in the lumbar area.
                The apex is at the L-2 and 3
                Pronounced S shape scoliosis in the dorsal and lumbosacral

Comment

Alan...

I see that you're in St. Louis. If you decide you're ready to see another doctor, I recommend that you see Drs. Keith Bridwell or Lawrence Lenke. Both have experience in treating people with prior scoliosis fusions.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X