Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haveing Kyphosis Surgery IN early summer

I have a few Questions
    How long do i need to stay in the Hospitol My Doc said only about 5 days.
    How long is the surgery my doc only said 6 hours
    How hard is it to sleep?
    Not that it really matters to me but how much does this surgery coast?
    Will I be able to Play Baseball in the Spring of 06?
    97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Witty300,
    There are several girls on here that have had kyphosis surgery and will probably share their stories with you.

Crystals surgery was about 6 1/2 hours. She was in the hospital for 6 days. She would of gone home at 5 days, however my husband had a 5 hour drive, one way, to pick us up, so she was discharged the next day. Sleeping at night might be difficult for you at first, but you will get to where the pain is getting easier to handle and find a comfort zone to sleep. Crystal slept through the night for the first time at about 2 1/2 weeks post op. As far as the cost of surgery, you are looking at anywhere from $80,000 and up. Crystal's estimates ranged from $175,000 - 250,000. We used Shriners hospital, so we don't know what the final bill was, as they provide their services to children under the age of 18 that need orthodic surgery for free.

Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions, just ask, ask, ask.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by nikyergen
      Witty300,
      There are several girls on here that have had kyphosis surgery and will probably share their stories with you.

Crystals surgery was about 6 1/2 hours. She was in the hospital for 6 days. She would of gone home at 5 days, however my husband had a 5 hour drive, one way, to pick us up, so she was discharged the next day. Sleeping at night might be difficult for you at first, but you will get to where the pain is getting easier to handle and find a comfort zone to sleep. Crystal slept through the night for the first time at about 2 1/2 weeks post op. As far as the cost of surgery, you are looking at anywhere from $80,000 and up. Crystal's estimates ranged from $175,000 - 250,000. We used Shriners hospital, so we don't know what the final bill was, as they provide their services to children under the age of 18 that need orthodic surgery for free.

Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions, just ask, ask, ask.

'til later,
      Nikki
      Thanks for the help. Like i said the coast does not matter beause the Insurance pays for i belive close to all of it. I just hope and can go out and play ball in the spring my baseball team needs me
      97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

I don't think you will be able to perform at the level after surgery especially if you're a pitcher. It is because baseball requires you to rotate your back alot during pitching, throwing and even batting.
        I use to play in a baseball league in my city. I was a right fielder/pitcher. I'm left handed and had a great arm that could throw from outfield to home base easily and with accuracy and around 90 mph fastball. At around age 15 i developed kyphosis+scoliosis. Mine was because i was born with it except i had a perfect back until onset of puberty. Right now i'm 18 and at about 16 years of age i had to quit baseball because my back problems made me developed constant muscle spasms that limit my arm range because you need to rotate your back if you want to make a powerful throw. I've not done the surgery yet but doctors say there will be a loss of flexibility.

Although many here have said, they have not notice a lot or any loss of flexibility, there's no guarantees and baseball is a game of upperbody strength so a little loss in flexibility or strength can affect alot especially playing defense.

My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Justin
          I don't think you will be able to perform at the level after surgery especially if you're a pitcher. It is because baseball requires you to rotate your back alot during pitching, throwing and even batting.
          I use to play in a baseball league in my city. I was a right fielder/pitcher. I'm left handed and had a great arm that could throw from outfield to home base easily and with accuracy and around 90 mph fastball. At around age 15 i developed kyphosis+scoliosis. Mine was because i was born with it except i had a perfect back until onset of puberty. Right now i'm 18 and at about 16 years of age i had to quit baseball because my back problems made me developed constant muscle spasms that limit my arm range because you need to rotate your back if you want to make a powerful throw. I've not done the surgery yet but doctors say there will be a loss of flexibility.

Although many here have said, they have not notice a lot or any loss of flexibility, there's no guarantees and baseball is a game of upperbody strength so a little loss in flexibility or strength can affect alot especially playing defense.

My 2 cents

Well Luckley I am not a Staring Pitcher more of a 3rd/2nd/SS and MRP Pitcher. I am walking 2-3 Miles a Day to get in great shape as well as The Baseball

Comment

Working...
          X