new mom preparing for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda,
    We took Crystal's body pillow to the hospital with us. It was certainly handy to have. As the time came that I was able to turn her in her bed and it was so nice to only have to deal with one pillow. The nurses really liked it too.

I am so glad you checked with the doctor's on the pill. I didn't have a clue what the answer would be. But, now we know. Crystal didn't start her period until the day we came home. So, I am hoping for the same for Tara.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Hiii, I know I'm not a parent but I'm a kid who had two very supportive parents to help me through my surgery so I can give you a few pointers if you'd like *g*.

Basically, I was just a really big emotional mess after my surgery. I was going through a lot of stress because I was in a lot of pain and all of that. Basically, just be sure that you're there to support her. I wouldn't really allow people to come by and visit for at least the first week. When people came to visit me, I was okay for about 10 minutes and then it all became too much for me to handle and my parents had to ask them to leave. Be sure that she has some means to get to you, even in the middle of the night. My dad slept on the couch in a room adjacent to mine with the door open. I had a little bell and would ring it whenever I needed him and he'd come running hehe. Muscle spasms and nerves reconnecting might give her some trouble, I had a lot of trouble sleeping the first few nights after surgery because I couldn't find a comfortable position. One thing that really helped me -- my parents got me an actual hospital bed for the first two or three weeks after surgery. That way I didn't have to climb the stairs in our house to get to my bed at night. That helped a LOT.

I think everyone here has pretty much covered everything else. You seem like an awesome mom already, coming here and finding out all this stuff, so I'm sure you'll have no problems being supportive . Good luck to your daughter!

Comment

Hi Linda,

We took a smaller body pillow to the hospital, but found we really didn't use it. They really came in handy once we got home. I would suggest you go ahead and take it, and if she needs it great, if not, no big deal, right? Everyone is different with what makes them feel more comfortable, so better to be prepared.

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks Guacamoleoly, your comments are definitely welcome. You went through it, so you have the first hand experience as to what you needed. Funny story about a bell. Tara had a bell when she had her wisdom teeth extracted last summer. On about the 4th day when she really didn't need it anymore, she rang it, and I came running. She said she just wanted to see if it still worked! Hehe.
          Thanks Susanna and Nikki. The body pillow I got for her seems huge. I might try to find a little smaller one for the hospital. What about those (Moushi)? pillows. I saw one of those in a body pillow style and thought that might be a nice idea? Did anyone use those?
          Linda

Comment

Linda,

I can't believe I forgot the mooshie pillows! Absolutely, they are great! They are wonderful comfort objects, because they're familiar and personal, and their soft shape means they can be tucked anywhere she needs a little soft support. She can tuck them under her elbows, under her head, or behind her knees. We had two little ones and one long body pillow in the hospital and we used them every day.

Susanna
            Last edited by susannajon; 04-18-2005, 08:33 AM.
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

OK Great! Tara already has 3 and like I said, I saw the bodypillow, so I think I'll pick that up to take to the hospital.
              Thanks.
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X