No announcement yet.

anyone hear from theresa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Theresa, Nicole's going to have all kinds of muscle pains as her body adjusts to it's new position. She might have pain in her shoulder, side, hips legs, etc. Everything has shifted a little, and this puts strain on those muscles until they get used to it.

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks Susanne

I Was Alittle Worried Because She Not Back To Regularly Going To The Bathroom. She Is Taking Colice Twice A Day And Drinking Water But Not As Much As I Would Like Her Too. Shes Not A Juice Drinker Her Shoulder Hurts Too. We See Dr. Boachie Again On Wed. I Guess He Will Put My Mind At Ease. We Need To Go Back To The City To Pick Up Her Brace. She Is Going To Be Wearing A Lso Brace. Hopefully All Goes Well And We Wont Have To Go Back For A While. Shes Very Uncomfortable Riding In The Car.
      Thanks Again
      Theresa
      THERESA

Comment

Theresa, try to make sure she has a BM at least every other day, as constipation is extremely painful at this stage of the game. If it's not happening with Colace, try glycerin suppositories. Poor kids, it's so tough, they feel like they have no dignity or privacy left at this point, but those nasty suppositories work every time!

I just told my daughter, "It's a suppository now, or an enema later... Take your pick!" She grudgingly chose the suppository, and within 20 minutes, she was back on track. I also used Benefiber, which I added to iced tea or lemonade. She couldn't tell it was there, and she stayed pretty regular. We only had to use the suppository twice.

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Theresa,
          Along with what Susanna said, you may try to get her to eat lots of fresh fruit. That should help some too. Has her appetite picked back up to normal yet? That can be a factor. Keep pushing the water. Crystal drinks about 8 32 ounce glasses of water a day. Not because we make her, but she likes water.

Keep us posted on Nicole.

Lots of prayers.
          'til later,
          Nikki

Comment

hey nikki

Nicole is a picker eater always was shes only 73 pounds now before surgery she was 79 so she a little skinny thing. I have been pushing the fruits apples and oranges thats all she likes. The meds shes is on is not helping i'm going to see if they can change them. She taking norco 10/325 mg. I'm going to gave her a suppository today.
            THERESA

Comment

Theresa,

Suppositories are not pleasant, but that's what worked for Jamie. We were supposed to go home from the hospital on a Saturday, but her bowels hadn't moved and they were insistant that they move before she could go home. They did the suppository (Saturday), and we were on our way home on Sunday. Luckily, she didn't have any problems after that. Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou
                What Kind Of Pain Meds Was Jamie Taking. I Really Think This Is Making Nicole Constipation.
                Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

Hey Theresa,
                  Is there a reason they still have her on Norco? Crystal was only on it a week to use for break through pain, but they also gave her a scrip for codiene. With the codiene, she very rarely even used the Norco.

I didn't realize Nicole was so tiny. She just a bit of a thing. A couple of pounds for her is major.

Hope things get to moving for her.

I am keeping you in my prayers.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Nikki
                    Called The Doc They Are Changing Her To Codiene.
                    Theresa
                    THERESA

Comment

Hi Theresa, the Dr. prescribed Miralax for Tara's constipation. It is a powder you mix with water or juice and drink it. There isn't a flavor so it hasn't been unpleasant. It's not addictive like a laxative, it just moves the fluid in your body to the bowels. It's worked so far, but she doesn't have the surgery and the pain meds working against her yet.
                      Linda

Comment

Hi Linda
                        Thanks I Will Ask The Doc About Miralax.

I Haven't Been Reading To Many Other Posts So Busy Taking Care Of My Nicole.
                        Just Read About Your Daughters Upcoming Surgery. These Moms On This Board Are Great And You Got The Best Information. They All Told Me About The Pain Meds. While In The Hospital Nicoles Pain Meds Got Off Track One Night. She Was In Alot Of Pain We Both Fell Asleep She Woke Up Screaming In Pain. The Nurses Were Great At First Bringing Her Pain Meds In Every 4 Hrs. When I Called For Help And Asked Why They Didn't Come Give Her The Pain Meds They Said To Me That I Needed To Like Them Know Went The 4 Hrs Mark Was Coming. I Was Very Upset Because I Just Assume They Would Come And Give Her The Meds At Lease Thats What They Were Doing The Day Before. So I Would Set My Alram On My Cell Phone So This Would Not Happen Again. All The Nurses Had There Own Way Of Caring For Nicole . Some Where The Best And Some Were The Pits. I Think All The Best Nurses At My Hospital Were On Vacation That Week. I Heard Nothing But The Best About The Hospital From Many People. So Keep You Eyes And Ears Wided Open For Your Daughters Sake.
                        Theresa
                        P.s. You And Your Daughter Will Be Fine I Was Nuts Three Weeks Before Nicoles Surgery. Its Been Two 1/2 Weeks And We Are Doing Great. Each Day Gets Better Me & My Baby Have Never Been So Close. I Was Loosing Her You Know Being 12 Going On 13 In A Rough Age.
                        THERESA

Comment

That's another good thing that has come out of this whole surgery experience other then now my daughter no longer has a rib hump and her back is straight, it is the bonding experience that goes on. They are so dependent on us in the beginning and it really brought my daughter and i alot closer. We spent so much time together that when she started going out with her friends and really feeling better i have to admit i was a little sad, because she wasn't needing me anymore.

Jennifer

Comment

Hey Jennifer
                            I Know That Day Will Come.
                            But You Know What We Pick The Brace Up Soon So We Will Be Fighting Again. Hopefully She Will Now Understand How Important It Is To Wear Her Brace.
                            Theresa
                            THERESA

Comment

Theresa,

Jamie was on Vicotin (?) and then Percocet.

Keep trying and you'll find something that will work for her. I think both of you will feel better once you get this taken care of.

Mary Lou

Comment

Theresa, thanks for your well wishes. I read your posts on how bad the pain control was for Nicole in hospital and I'm so glad you guys are doing so much better now. The moms have reinforced keeping up on the pain management, so I have that at the top of my list: "start tracking down the nurse at 3 1/2 hours". I hope you get the constipation worked out and she'll feel a lot better. Take care.
                                Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X