anyone hear from theresa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa,

I am so sorry to about the problems you had while in the hospital. Like everyone says, you must control the pain! I know it is a little late now, but maybe it'll help someone else, why didn't you ask for a shot of pain meds when her I.V. was pulled out or did you? I would imagine they could have given her something.

We had one bad pain med experience. Jamie was on oral meds, and I asked the nurse about ten minutes before they were due just to remind her. I know they are busy and it takes a while sometimes, so I asked early. She came right away and checked her chart and said she would be back with them in ten minutes when they were due. Jamie and I were exhausted and fell asleep. Jamie woke up two hours later in extreme pain and she never complained about pain before. I called the nurse and she came in and I told her she was to bring it two hours ago and she said she got busy with a difficult patient. She got the pains quickly, but it was too late. The pain was too far gone. I told her I wanted a shot of Morphine now and she argued with me that she was off the Morphine drip and was only to take her oral meds. I told her again to get us a shot of Morphine or I would be paging the doctor. She came back quickly with the shot. It still didn't take the edge off of the pain for the oral meds to work. I told her to get another shot and she gave me an evil look but did it anyway. That finally worked and she got settled down. This was all the night before we were supposed to go home! We had a very nice talk with the doctor the next morning and he of course asked about her pain control, as we had already switched her oral meds twice during her stay. I told him the events of the night before and knowing the doctor, someone got a serious lecture, because we heard part of it, and he would not accept any excuses from the nurse. Needless to say, we ended up staying an extra day to make sure her pain would be controlled at home and the nurses were always there about three minutes before her next meds were due to tell me they were on their way to get her pills and we never had a problem again.

All parents need to speak up for their children. I know for some that is hard, but we never asked the nurses for much. I turned Jamie, I bathed Jamie, I dressed Jamie, I transferred her in and out of bed, took her to the bathroom, for walks, etc. The only things I asked of the nurses was to bring her meds. and wash her hair once before we went home. They wouldn't even wash her hair for me until the doctor offered to write an order (which he did) for them to wash her hair! Speak up for your kids, no matter what.

Mary Lou

Comment

Theresa,
      I am so very sorry Nicole and you had such a horrible experience in the hospital. Even though it is over, I think I would be jumping one doctor about it still. There was no reason for that to happen, other than someone's lack of caring.

I certainly hope things are better now. At least at home, you can stay right on top of her pain.

Our experience in Shriners Hospital was very good. Crystal's pain meds were always on time and the nurses were very receptive when I asked when she could have her next one. I only had one nurse that was a problem, got very assertive with her once, and it never happened again. The pain med was only about 15 minutes late. So, we didn't get to far behind on the pain.

I am praying for you both as Nicole recovers. Hopefully, she is better now that she is home.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

Marylou
        I Did All I Could At The Hospital For My Daughter And The Doctor Did Get An Earfull From Me. The Night Staff Was The Worst Of The Bunch. During The Day I Was Happy With Everything. She Did Got A Shot About 40 Minutes It Took Pain Managrment To Respond.

I Cancelled Today Appointment To Get The Brace I Just Couldn't Put Her In The Car. We Needed To Leave About 8;00 Am To Hopefully Be In The City By 10;00 Am.[with The Traffic] We Are Going On Tue Instead At 1:15 Pm.
        I Was Thinking Of Changing The Pain Meds Within Three Hrs Her Pain Is Back And She Needs To Wait 1 Hr Before The Next Dose.
        Nikki
        Nicole Is Very Happy To Be Home. With Each Day I See Her Getting Better Today She Walked Down The Block And Back. Just Having A Problem With Going To The Bathroom Shes Afraid To Push. She Taking Colice Twice A Day. May Try Prune Juice Tommorrow.
        Theresa
        Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

Theresa,
          Crystal has found that putting a regular sized bed pillow behind her when she has to have a bowel movement helps a lot. It gives her something padded to lean against. I sure wish the stool softener would work. It really helped Crystal within a couple of days. You may want to try a suppository for her too. Does she drink plenty of fluids? We are big water drinkers at our house, so we are always pushing water on everyone in the world. Try the pillow trick.

When Crystal heads to the bathroom with the pillow, I know what she is up too. lol!

I don't blame you for not taking Nicole to the doctor today for her appointment. I am glad to see she is walking so far. Our weather has been terrible here, so Crystal hasn't been out for a walk yet, but she is wearing a path in the carpet.

Just to let you know you are always in my prayers.

Love and lots of prayers.

'til later,
          Nikki

Comment

Theresa,

We Moms can sure relate to our daugthers when it comes to moving their bowels. Remember the first time you had to go to the bathroom after giving birth and still having stitches? Yeah, we know how they feel. Is your daughter drinking LOTS of water? Is she avoiding things that might work against her, not speaking of iron pills and pain, meds, but maybe foods like too much cheese, etc.? It sounds like I don't need to remind her to move around, because she is doing great if she is walking around outside. That should help.

I am so sorry about the problems with the night staff at the hospital. There is no reason for that, but I am glad you took charge.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Theresa
              If Nicole can stand it, it might help to massage her stomach. This was something our continence nurse taught me to do for Genevieve (who has chroninc difficulties in that direction). It's important to make sure you go in a clockwise direction across the top of her abdomen from her right to her left andthen down the left hand side and back across the bottom, left to right. This means you are massaging in the 'direction of travel'. You need to use a fairly firm pressure and it helps to use some olive oil to make your hands flow easily.
              Good luck,

Lorrie

Comment

Well It Happened I Think The Prune Juice Did It. Nikki The Pillow Was A Great Idea And Nicole Is Using One . She Is Drinking A Little More Water Today But Not As Much As I Would Like Her To. Well I Guess One Day At A Time.
                I Had To Cut Down On Her Pain Meds. On Tue I Had 60 Pills Filled. Taking 2 Pills Every 4rs. On Monday At 8pm I Will Be Out Of Pills And They Won't Fill The Prescription Till Tues. Because In Nys Fda Allows You To Take 8 Pills A Day That = 4 Grams Of Acetaminophen A Day.
                [they Say It's Not Good For Your Liver] So They Won't Fill It. So I'm Cutting One Pill In Half And Giving Her 1 1/2 Every 4hrs. Do You Believe That I Wish Someone Told Us. I Guess I Should Start To Wean Her Off The Meds Anywhy.
                So Heres The ????? When Did Everyone Else Start To Wean They Kids Off The Meds Given For Pain. I Spoke To The Doctor And He Didn't Want To Change The Meds Or Give Something Else. He Said Try Cutting One Pill In Half.
                Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

Theresa,
                  I am so glad things are getting better for Nicole. Really keep pushing the fluids, and any kind of fruit juice will help her a lot. Prune Juice isn't the kind of tasty a kid would like. Maybe apple juice would be more to her liking. I am glad the pillow worked for her.

Crystal hasn't been really heavy on her pain meds. Her first perscription of 45 codience (300mg) lasted 7 days. Her second one of 30 pills at 500mg lasted her 2 1/2 weeks. Her third one I just picked up yesterday and she took her first one out of it this morning. She has been able to get by for the most part during the day on tylenol. She usually only takes her pres.pain med at bedtime now. We are going to start cutting that one in half next week. She doesn't like taking them because she become the ______ from you know where and she doesn't like that feeling. If you give her an OTC during the day only use tylenol (or its generic mate). The reason for this is because Advil (ibuprofene) and Aleve (naproxine) slow down the bone healing process.

Keep in mind as you go through the weaning process that Nicole had a horrible experience with pain in the hospital. She is probably scared to death that will happen again. Do everything you can to keep her comfortable, which I am sure you are already doing. It is so much nicer to do these things at home, than in the hospital. Also, keep her on the stool softener for a while. Crystal took it for about two weeks after we got home. That way she didn't have to push as hard and it wasn't as painful.

So glad things are looking up. Nicole will be up and driving you nuts soon. Crystal is really driving me nuts. Going stir crazy because they can't go do anything on their own.

Love and lots of prayers to you.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by jc3
                    Has anyone heard from Theresa. I think her daughter Nikki was having surgery March 30 at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan yesterday and i know there are computers there. I'm surprised she hasn't posted.
                    Jennifer
                    Hi! Jennifer this is Fran....I can not believe I come on this site and yours is the first message I read. Thank you for sending me this site...I will write you back soon.

Comment

hi fran
                      That is so funny that you found me on here LOL. I'm glad you came on here to check it out the people on here are really helpful. Talk to you soon.
                      Jen
                      Last edited by jc3; 04-10-2005, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Theresa,

I'm glad to hear things are "working" for your daughter now. Keep pushing the fluids!

When to wean kids off pain meds.....that's a good question. I think only you can really answer that. Everyone seems to have a very different experience with that one. The reason I say you should answer that is because you know your daughter best. Is she really needing the pain meds every four hours around the clock or is it a case of habit? If you didn't offer them to her right at the four hour mark, do you think she could go longer without them? Those are things you need to work out, but remember, you don't want the pain to get too far ahead of her or it will be harder on her.

We were lucky. Jamie has a very high tolerance for pain. I was concerned when we left the hospital and they only gave us a prescription for one week's worth of meds. I was told that they would prescribe something else after that, but they didn't want her on the strong drugs for too long. I shouldn't have worried....Jamie never even finished that week's worth of meds. So, less than two weeks after surgery, Jamie was totally off pain meds totally, including Tylenol.

Mary Lou

Comment

Theresa,

How is Nicole doing? Alex is walking a bit crooked so I called and they aren't worried (I guess I'm a worry wort). He has also had some light headedness, and being the absent-minded person I've become (thanks to the stress of surgery), I haven't been giving him his vitamin with iron, so hopefully now that I'm on top of this it will improve! I was so concerned with the surgery, that I didn't stop to think of what it would be like at home afterward, seems just as stressful in a different way. How is the sleep for you? Alex isn't on pain meds, but still up in the middle of the night, so I have yet to sleep all night! Could be much worse, so I won't complain too loudly!

Let me know how you are!

Lura

Comment

HI LURA
                            SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU. I CANT'T BELIEVE ALEX IS NOT ON PAIN MEDS THATS GREAT!. NICOLE IS STILL ON THE PAIN MEDS AND HAS VERY LITTLE TOLERANCE WITH THE PAIN. SHE HAD 5 RIBS CUT FOR THE RIB HUMP AND BONE GRAPH. SHE IS IN ALOT OF PAIN FROM THAT. I''M ALWAYS PUTTING ICE ON HER RIBS AND BACK. SHE GETS UP EVERY 5 HRS FOR PAIN MEDS AND I'M TRYING TO WEEN HER OFF OF THEM. THEY CHANGED HER MEDS SO I THINK THATS OUR PROBLEM. I'M GOING BACK TO THE CITY TOMORROW SHE IS BEING FITTED FOR A BRACE. I'M GLAD WE ARE GOING I JUST NEED TO ASK A WHOLE LOT OF ????????s. I'M A WORRY WORT TOO. I KNOW THE CAR RIDE IS GOING TO KILL HER BUT WE HAVE TO GO. I TOOK HER TO BLOCKBUSTER TODAY. SHE WAS WIPED OUT WHEN WE GOT BACK HOME. WE WERE ONLY GONE FOR ABOUT 10 MIN. SHE HAS BEEN WALKING UP ARE BLOCK AND BACK ONCE A DAY. HER TEACHERS ARE COMING ON THRUSDAY TO START HOME SCHOOLING. I'M STILL TRIED AND MY HUSBAND WOULD HELP HER BUT ALL SHE WANTS IS ME. HE GETS UPSET BUT UNDERSTANDS SO HES BEEN DOING EVERYTHING ELSE AROUND THE HOUSE. I FEEL LIKE I HAD A NEW BORN BABY. BUT THIS IS OK MY NICOLE MAKES MY HEART SHINE
                            THERESA
                            THERESA

Comment

HI Theresa!

Thought about you today and your trip into the city, hoping all went well! Alex gets very tired easily still, too. I hadn't been giving him his vitamins with iron until Sunday, and they seem to be helping (he lost quite a bit of blood so I am thinking his may have been slightly anemic (sp).) Anyway, our big trip the other day was also to Blockbuster, this is Alex's favorite place! I am a single mom, so I totally identify with your being tired from being the primary care giver, and your husband sounds wonderful. My family helps out as does Alex's dad when he has time, but Alex wants mom-mom to do most everything. Anyway, nice to see your thread, take good care of Nicole and yourself!

Lura

Comment

Theresa,
                                How did Nicole handle the trip to be fitted for her brace? I hope she did well. Crystal is getting around handily now. The only thing we do for her is pick something up if she dropped it and help her get her shoes tied. She does the rest on her own. Do keep an eye on Nicole to make sure she gets some deep breathing done in her brace each day. Crystal has come down with bronchitis. The doctor thinks it is from having the brace on and not being able to really fill her lungs when breathing. She is on antibiotics and on the road to recovery. Shooting for school again on Monday. She is pretty current on her school work though.

Let us know how the brace and Nicole are doing. Still praying for you guys.

Love and prayers.
                                'til later,
                                Nikki

Comment

Working...
                                X