14 yr old son surgery in june questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary lou,
    Could you tell me why they weren't able to use screws in Jamie's back? Was this something they knew ahead of time, or found this out once in surgery?
    Thanks.
    Linda

Comment

Linda,

The reason they weren't able to use screws in Jamie's back is that her pedicles were too small. Jamie is a small, petite 13 1/2 y.o. She is only about 4'10" and only weighs about 85#. Her doctor ordered both an MRI and a CAT scan before surgery to measure the size of her pedicles. Jamie's pedicles were too narrow to place screws in them. Pedicles are bones, I think, that they usually place screws into and then attach everything else to that. Does that make sense? Anyway, I've heard people who have screws are doing a lot more at three or four months post-op than Jamie is allowed to do. I think the screws really add a lot of stability to the rods and everything. Jamie's size seemed to cause other problems too. They really had a hard time starting I.V.'s and other lines they needed for her surgery. Her poor wrists looked horrible. She was black and blue and she counted like 15 holes in one wrist and about 8 in the other where they tried to start line. Thankfully she was asleep during all of this.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou
        Bless her heart! But, yes, it all makes sense. I was wondering because it had crossed my mind to whether they would find something other than expected once they got into surgery with Tara. (You know, a mom will find things to worry about). She's had several broken bones on falls in soccer. But her Dr. was so optimistic about the possibility of her returning to soccer within 4 months and it was because of the screws. However, I'm not sure I would even want her to take that risk. Tara is very small boned as well. It is not until college when they started working her so much on weights that she started to put muscle on those bones. She just had her CT two weeks ago, so we'll wait and see what he has to say. Thanks.
        Linda

Comment

Sorry just a typing out loud moment (as you do :-)

Just my worry, it always good to be optimistic, but at 4 months, a fusion isn't fully solid yet (hasn't completley fused) and is still very new. If the Soccer teams Down Under are any thing like one's in America, I'd be freaked out going back that early. I know Soccer's meant to be a non-contact sport. But it's all the accidental knocks and bumps that you get and that it's quite a spirited game where you get fully into it, its more what other people might do to you, then what you do yourself. I know the screws and stuff are pretty good, I'm just not sure whether they (the rods and stuff) could stand up to all the knocks before you're fully fused

I've come to realise that Docs in the US have very different views to Aussie Docs, especially when it comes what restrictions are in place how long and when after surgery. Our are more suggestive to some sport after six months and more contacty sports after a year once everything's fully fused. I know my Doc would have had Kittens if I had suggested Soccer as a possibility four months after surgery. :-)

Ok end of writing out loud

Alison

Comment

Hi Linda,

My little one was 5' tall and about 105 lbs. at the time of surgery, so she's bigger than Mary Lou's little peanut, but she's still pretty tiny. Our doc actually helped develop a brand of instrumentation with Johnson & Johnson. The system is called the Monarch 5.5 Ti Spine System, and it is specifically designed for people of small stature. All the componenets are made from Titanium, so we laugh that she's got a $25,000 spine.

Our doc said no sports for 6 months, and nothing where she had a high likelihood of falling or taking a hard hit for a year. My daughter is planning on being the assistant coach of her softball team when she goes back to school. That was her wonderful coach's idea so she won't feel left out. She is very good at supporting and encouraging people, so I think that will work out great.

Susanna
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

You know, when the Dr. first talked about the possibility of returning to soccer, Tara and I were both excited. When I started reading here what the kids were doing 3-4 months post op, I knew there was no way she would be even ready for practice in 4 months, much less game ready. You right Alison, it is a rough game, and I just don't want her out there knowing that fusion isn't complete for possibly a year. I've talked to her a lot about this and her body has taken so much abuse over the last couple of years, that although her goal is to get back out there, I really think she would be ok to let it go. I think it will be easier to ease into letting it go, rather than saying she's done, so the coach is holding her scholarship and maybe she'll end up being a sideline assistant this fall as well Susanna. That's a great idea of your daughter's coach. Thanks for your thoughts you guys.
              Linda

Comment

Linda,

I'm glad that what I told you about Jamie made sense and didn't just give you more to worry about. Our doctor was very prepared before surgery and didn't find any surprises once he got in there.

I am so happy that you and Tara are talking about holding off on soccer for more than 3 or 4 months. Jamie is 4 1/2 months post-op now, and even if she had screws in her back, I don't think I'd want her playing soccer yet. Soccer, like all other sports, is very competitive and gets very rough sometimes.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Mary Lou

Comment

Nikki: I did the bath thing tonight (no beverage, tho-work tomorrow!) and i feel better. Except I went through the new Nike women's catalogue and just mentally spent about $1000....It is amazing what stress can do to one physically, from headaches to tummy aches...Griff got sick after a track meet last Thursday, so I let him stay home on Friday. Our poor kids. How is school going for Crystal?

Mary Lou-your little one is indeed a little one! My almost 12 year old is 4'9" and about 80 some pounds and she is tired of being "short" I try to tell her she is petite, but she doesnt buy that one, either. Did the rods give her any more height? And what is Kyphosis?

Susanna: i hope you got a refund, or at least didn't have to pay! Thanks for the advice on precertifying. How is the PT hunt going?

Everyone's sports advice is great. I mentioned to Griff about hanging out on the bench, maybe being a ball boy for the varsity, and he said no right away. But I think hanging with the team is a good idea, so we will see. his older brother plays as well, so we will see if he can help. I also mentioned maybe coaching a 6th grade basketball team, and that one seemed to fly a bit better.

I have my steno pad, writing down questions for the dr.

By the way, did any of you deal with taking time off from work and Family Medical Leave issues?

Prayers to all (and a wish for a nice bubble bath like I just had!)

Gigi

Comment

Hi Gigi,

My surgeon pre-certified the procedure, including the hardware, through the insurance company to make sure we wouldn't have any problems with reimbursement. The insurance company paid 100% thank goodness!

My little one gained three inches from surgery, and she's now 5'3" tall. She is so thrilled. She's still petite, but she's the tallest woman in our family... LOL. What a thrill for her, a giant among Hobbits!

I am lucky in that I had tons of sick time saved up and my work has been wonderful. They assigned a couple of people to help cover my accounts while I'm home, and I'm working a few hours on the computer every day to keep things going. I am also traveling when needed, a few days here and there, and my family and husband are covering when I have to go.

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Gigi,

Yes, my daughter is a little one, but then again so is my 12 y.o. daughter who is about 4' 11" and weighs 72#. I keep telling them they don't have much chance of being tall when I am only 5' 1" and their dad is only 5' 6".

I'm sorry to say that Jamie did not get any height from her surgery. I think if they would have done her surgery differently, she would have grown several inches, but at least the doctor told us before surgery not to expect any height changes. Although it is hard for her now, I would gladly sacrifice height if it meant that the best procedure for her was done.

Kyphosis is a front-to-back curve. Some kids have just Scoliosis, some just Kyphosis and some, like Jamie have both.

Don't be too surprised if Griff doesn't want anything to do with basketball if he can't play. Jamie is having a hard time right now with her restrictions and has chosen to just not participate in certain activities instead of just watching her friends. I'm glad to hear that you left Griff take the day off on Friday. I figure these kids just need a day off once in awhile when going through surgery. I plan on keeping Jamie home for a day in May and probably taking her to a local Civil War museum. She missed the field trip to the Civil War museum because of surgery and the eighth graders who were on the honor roll all year get to go to our local amusement park for the day. I can't see sending her to school, and make her feel bad about not going to the park when all of her friends will be going.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou,

My poor daughter is missing her class field trip to Philly in two weeks. There's just no way I'm putting her on a two hour bus ride, and then walking all day, and sleeping in a hotel on a strange hard mattress. She cried a few tears when I told her she wasn't going, but she was realistic about it too. She knows that she isn't ready for that yet.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~

Comment

Susanna,

So where are you and your daughter going on the day of the Philly trip? I think you guys need to at least go out for lunch and maybe do a little shopping. I won't be the same as going to Philly, but it might help a little bit.

I agree with you and there is no way I would send her on that trip so soon. What if she would have pain? What if she got tired out and needed a break? I know we take our kids to Philly in fifth grade and we cram a lot into one day!

Jamie has had to miss out on so much this year because of her surgery. Don't you just feel terrible for them and wish you could make it all go away?

Hang in there.

Mary Lou
                          Last edited by ; 04-29-2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

It's a three day trip, so poor kid's going to be in school getting caught up on work.... I will plan something special with her. I am trying to focus on the positive, the fact that she's gotten such a great correction, and is 3 inches taller.

Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~

Comment

Gigi,
                              I am glad you did the bath thing. It does really help. Just to have piece and quiet and make everyone just leave you alone for a while. I do the same thing with the Rod's Western Wear Catalog. I show western pleasure horses, and am always looking for clothes or a new piece of tack that I like.

I have been fortunate with Crystal's surgery. I do transcription for our historial society here at home. So, my husband runs my tapes back and forth for me and I am able to stay home and take care of Crystal.

Crystal had her first post-op appointment yesterday. She is healing wonderfully. Doctor didn't release and restrictions yet. She goes back the middle of June for her next appointment. Crystal gained 2 1/4 inches from her kyphosis surgery. She went from 5'5" to 5'7 1/4". She's thrilled.

When is Griff's surgery? He's having it done at Emanuel in Portland isn't he?

Lots of love and prayers.

'til later,
                              Nikki

Comment

Hello! Too much testosterone in here right now...Griff and his brother Ben and one of Ben's friends... My husband took our daughter over to Sisters to visit Grandma and Grandpa so the only other female around is the dog!

Mary Lou; thanks for the info on kyphosis. I am sorry she is missed the field trip; Griff is in eighth grade, too. Taking her yourself will still be special. What museum? Do you live on the east coast or the south?

Susanna: I like Mary Lou's idea. I will have to try to do that with Griff when he misses out on some things. 3 inches is a lot; how bad was her curvature?

Nikki: how was Crystal's prom? Did you get lots of pictures? She sounds so pretty and I bet she looked beautiful. And yes, I bet, as a basketball player, she is thrilled about the height! Yes, Griff is having his surgery at Emanuel. It is scheduled for June 28. We have a preop on June 1. It seemed a far way away until I realized it is 8 weeks. When you are a kid, that is forever, but for us...

And to all as far as sports: the dr told us Griff could not play football ever again. He said that anything that was a real collision sport was out. Basketball is out for this next year, but after a year, he can play that again. I didn't ask about soccer or lacrosse. The hard hits are the concern. What have you been told?

Take care

Gigi

Comment

Working...
                                X