Post operative weight lifting restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post operative weight lifting restrictions

Hi, I am not scheduled for surgery because my curves are not significant yet, but i was very curious to find this out.
    For those of you (adult patients 21 years and older) who have had scoliosis fusion, what sort of restrictions did you have in lifting heavy weights? Could you go back to close to what you could lift pre-oper.?
    Are you advised to lift less than a certain amout for the rest of your life?

By weights i dont really mean going to a gym and lifting, but general lifting of boxes, suitcases etc

My son just had surgery and right now it is 10lbs or less... until he bone fuses, then I imagine all restrictions are lifted.
    SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

I had nothing over 5 lbs for the first three weeks. Went up to 10 lbs after that. At 3 months, it was "dont do it if it hurts". Which... I think my surgeon would frown on the fact that 50 lb bags of horse feed didn't hurt much... But, no long term restrictions...
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I haven't as yet had the surgery, but from what I understand, the initial restrictions would be around 10 lbs or a gallon of milk.

I'd be interested in finding out if upper body weight lifting (not to bulk up, but to maintain or improve strength) can be done after a year (when most things should be fused).

Lynn

Comment

My daughter was told to be careful for 18 months after her fusion (age 14). She has since done everything, gone backpacking etc. but lately I have heard that the vertebrae above and below the fusion take extra stress, so probably we should be a little bit careful for always.

Before my operation I found that lifting anything that felt heavy was the surest way to bring on pain. Must find out at my next hospital appointment the weight-bearing exercise advice, since it's so good for the bones,

Lavinia

Comment

I just had surgery 6 weeks ago, so I can only lift 10 lbs. or below. My friend had the surgery when she was 15, and when she was a senior in high school she was in my weight lifting class. The only things she couldn't do at all were the sit and reach, crunches, and the clean and jerk. I am sure there are a lot of other exercises that she couldn't do that I didn't notice. I love weight lifting, though, and I hope I can get back to doing some eventually.

Comment

Working...
            X