what to expect after discectomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to expect after discectomy

I am only 32 & getting a discectomy for a large herniated disc. I was a dancer, jogger... very active. I hurt my back a few months ago -- this Friday I get surgery. I am really nervous. What shoul I expect after discectomy? Will I need someone to help me out around my apartment for a few weeks? Will I be in bed a lot??

P/S -- am I on the right forum... if not, I noticed a lot of threads about surgery. Maybe someone can lend me advice. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zyablik; 03-29-2005, 01:58 PM.

Sorry to hear about your disk! I haven't seen many disk questions around here, but I'm sure somebody will know something. Are you having fusion? (Forgive me, I'm not sure what the discectomy entails.)

An old PT of mine had fusion for a low-back disk injury surgery and she had an amazing outcome. Let me know how it goes - I have disk degeneration myself and would love to know your outcome. I will be thinking of you!!

Good luck!!
    Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Heyy

I cant answer your question either, but do keep us informed during your recovery period.
      Good luck with your surgery.

Comment

I had discectomies. I can't really tell you anything because it sounds like that is all you are having. I had mine with my fusion surgeries. Have you looked at http://www.spineuniverse.com There's alot of good information there.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
        X