What are you supposed to bring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you supposed to bring

My name is Roxie and I am new and I am wondering is what do you have to bring in the hospital and this goes for people who was in the hospital how is th ICU i never have been in the hospital

Hi Roxie...

The really great thing about ICU is that the nurses take excellent care of the patients. When you wake up, you'll probably find that you have all sorts of things attached to your body. It can be pretty intimidating, but you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress.

I have a list of things you might find helpful at the hospital and afterward at home here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Roxie,

My daughter was never in ICU, she spent the night of surgery in what was called "Intermediate Care". I don't think she even remembers that night! The most she remembers of the Intermediate Care is the fact they removed her heart monitor, and they moved her to another bed before transferring her to a regular room.

I've always suggested you take the minimum to the hospital. Slippers with non-slip soles are a must for the hospital and at home. Take your toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush and something to pull your hair back if it is long. Comfortable pj's or lounging clothes. My daughter put on a t-shirt and pj bottoms as soon as the catheter came out. At home we made very few adjustments for her. We did bring her bed downstairs since we have a two story house to give her somewhere comfortable to rest. She sat in a high back hard rocking chair with pillows and still chooses that as her favorite chair. A shower chair is very helpful for the first week or so of showers. I know others will offer other suggestions as well.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mary Lou

Comment

thanks that really helped me and I am new to going to the hospital so I am clueless i am really more happy i was devesated when I found out now i am happy i am going because i am in pain

Originally posted by LindaRacine
        Hi Roxie...

The really great thing about ICU is that the nurses take excellent care of the patients. When you wake up, you'll probably find that you have all sorts of things attached to your body. It can be pretty intimidating, but you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress.

I have a list of things you might find helpful at the hospital and afterward at home here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Good luck!

Regards,
        Linda

Comment

I don't really remember bringing much to the hospital. Of course the essentials are necessary.....pyjamas, toothpaste/brush, socks, slippers.

The weirdest part of the experience was being in the ICU. They keep you fairly drugged up...I hallucinated about disney movies quite a bit, and imagined playing with this little girl.

You won't want to be doing much while your in the hospital, sleeping will be an enjoyment. Maybe bring some magazines or a book, but the most important thing is to just take care of yourself and relax.
          Jill

Diagnosed in 1998
          55 Degree S Curve
          Idiopathic Scoliosis surgery in 2000 in Vancouver, BC
          Performed by Dr. Stephen Tredwell

Comment

Working...
          X