Thoracoplasty ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracoplasty ONLY

Can you have Thoracoplasty surgery, that is ONLY to remove the rib hump, WITHOUT having any additional scoliosis surgery (i.e. spinal fusion)?

Billz...

Yes, I believe that's possible. However, I'm not sure if an insurance company would approve it, or whether any surgeon would recommend it.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm also not sure any surgeon would perform it without a spinal fusion, because it probably won't help reduce the hump. If you don't first correct the spinal curvature before throacoplasty, your ribs will grow back deformed again, and your hump will probably look just as it did previously.

Comment

I've heard some surgeons are unwilling to perform thoracoplasty without fusion because sometimes it can completely unstabilise unfused curves and make them increase.

Comment

Hi Jonny

That's a very good point ! I think the ribs act as an internal brace and when the offending ribs are cut off in a thoracoplasty, there is no support for the vertebrae that are curving.

Celia

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
          X