Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement of Vertebral Rotation

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out how to calculate vertebral rotation by simply looking at an x-ray. You might wonder why I wouldn't just simply ask my doctor ? I have, but he never gives me a straight answer When my daughter's curve was 60 degrees, her vertebral rotation was 25 ??? Today her curve is much lower ( 10 degrees ) and I'm trying to calculate her rotation. According to the article they do it by measuring pedicles. Here is a website I came across. I don't see how they could have measured 25 to begin with when the measuring system seems to go from 0 to 4.

http://www.rad.washington.edu/mskbook/scoliosis.html

I appreciate any insights on this.

Celia
    Last edited by Celia; 03-23-2005, 01:12 PM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

celia,

i went to your link and read through the article. i was curious whether or not you could e-mail the webmaster - michael l. richardson, m.d. and ask him to measure deirdre's rotation . . . just a thought.

deshea
    mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
    spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
    tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
    serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
    now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
    and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
    north of boston, ma

Comment

Celia...

There are at least two methods for measuring rotation. One is in degrees, which is what I believe your daughter's doctor was quoting to you.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks !

Deshea,

I guess I could do that. I got the articles you sent me and I'll be looking up the other one at the library. It's probably not that complicated since the pedicles are in full view - I just want to be able to calculate it myself without having to go to medical school

Linda,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for letting me know.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
        X