Thread: Measurement of Vertebral Rotation

Measurement of Vertebral Rotation

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out how to calculate vertebral rotation by simply looking at an x-ray. You might wonder why I wouldn't just simply ask my doctor ? I have, but he never gives me a straight answer When my daughter's curve was 60 degrees, her vertebral rotation was 25 ??? Today her curve is much lower ( 10 degrees ) and I'm trying to calculate her rotation. According to the article they do it by measuring pedicles. Here is a website I came across. I don't see how they could have measured 25 to begin with when the measuring system seems to go from 0 to 4.

http://www.rad.washington.edu/mskbook/scoliosis.html

I appreciate any insights on this.

Celia
    Last edited by Celia; 03-23-2005 at 02:12 PM.

celia,

i went to your link and read through the article. i was curious whether or not you could e-mail the webmaster - michael l. richardson, m.d. and ask him to measure deirdre's rotation . . . just a thought.

deshea

Celia...

There are at least two methods for measuring rotation. One is in degrees, which is what I believe your daughter's doctor was quoting to you.

--Linda

Thanks !

Deshea,

I guess I could do that. I got the articles you sent me and I'll be looking up the other one at the library. It's probably not that complicated since the pedicles are in full view - I just want to be able to calculate it myself without having to go to medical school

Linda,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for letting me know.