10 years post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years post-op

Hi everyone. It been 10 years in March since my scoliosis surgery. During those past 10 years a lot has happened in my life. I was appointed by the California governor to the California state council on Developmental Disabilities, had reconstructive foot surgery on my right foot. My grandma passed away of natural causes. I traveled to South Dakota to visit family and go to Mount Rushmore
    Kara
    Boston Brace 4.15.05 to 5.25.06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3.10.10
    T4-L2

Kara, Congratulations on 10 years!

Cane we assume that your back is fine?

And how is your foot?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes my back is doing fine.
      It’s doing better but its now prefect.
      Kara
      Boston Brace 4.15.05 to 5.25.06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3.10.10
      T4-L2

Comment

Kara! Thanks for coming back here and letting us know how you are doing. I think about you and how much you have contributed to the forum.

I am sorry bout the loss of your grandma.

It sounds like you are keeping busy and traveling. You are a fusion success story like both my daughters.

I hope you come back here from time to time to let us know how you are doing.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi, Kara,
          I know this is late, but congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! I just celebrated my 10th year anniversary on January 5. There aren't many names on the forum that I recognize. Best of luck!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            Hi, Kara,
            I know this is late, but congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! I just celebrated my 10th year anniversary on January 5. There aren't many names on the forum that I recognize. Best of luck!
            If you stick around you might make new forum friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
              If you stick around you might make new forum friends.
              That made me smile! For the year before my surgery and several years afterwards, I never missed a day of checking the forum. It seemed like most of the people on the forum at that time also checked in daily to either ask or answer questions. Now, it seems like many of the posts are several months old and there is not as much activity with questions and replies. I honestly don't know how I could have made it through the surgery without the support of people on the forum. I am going to make an effort to check in more frequently instead of wasting so much time on Facebook!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                That made me smile! For the year before my surgery and several years afterwards, I never missed a day of checking the forum. It seemed like most of the people on the forum at that time also checked in daily to either ask or answer questions. Now, it seems like many of the posts are several months old and there is not as much activity with questions and replies. I honestly don't know how I could have made it through the surgery without the support of people on the forum. I am going to make an effort to check in more frequently instead of wasting so much time on Facebook!
                Activity or the lack thereof is contagious. If a forum is active people come back, if it's not, most give up. And of course they initially show up when they need support the most and slack off when they are doing well and don't need the support. I can't blame them. They probably don't want scoliosis to define their lives forever.

This is a good forum, or could be, I wish it were busier. There's another very active forum I know of, but it's mostly juveniles who just discovered they have scoliosis.

You were lucky to have a lot of people going through the same thing you were at the same time. It's good to see people check back in now and then and report, whether anything changed for them or not. Data is data. I can't even imagine how I'm going to feel at 10 years.

I should read more of the older threads here.

Comment

NSF was quite active years ago.....and we sure have seen a lot of different cases over the years.....mostly adults over 40. We had a few Brits, Kiwi's, and a few Aussies posting also.....Macky from Launceston, Tasmania, the first Harrington done in Australia, and Jen from the Brisbane area are just a few from down under.

The British Scoliosis Support forum was also quite active back in the day. My user name was Rod Stewart on that one. They had a lot of serious cases, and many of them were kyphosis cases. Tonibunny was very active, along with Mark, Spinals, Bendy Bill, and Jaymoe.... They had a few European members also. I am having trouble remembering everyone these days.

Around the time Golfnut was getting ready, Elisa had her son Elias delayed by the BC Canadian system, and was done by Shriners. He had a 115 degree T curve in which his Chiropractor said nothing.... They sent a bus up to Vancouver right away and put him in halo traction in Portland for about 2 months. He came out great after surgery....It sure would be nice if we knew how he was doing......maybe at some point he will chime in. He has to be about 26 now.

In the old threads there is a MOUNTAIN of material....It's unfortunate that many of the links and photos were lost due to software updates on the server.

We have had posters from: UAE, Oman, Moldova, India, Corfu (Greece) Argentina, Israel, UK, Australia, Singapore. I can't remember any other countries, maybe Linda or Sharon might remember more. We had Dr Anand chime in once who is a Minimally Invasive Scoliosis surgeon from LA. We even had an actress from Hollywood! She admitted this to me by e-mail, not on the forum. I don't watch television so not really in tune with that sort of thing....No, it wasn't Zsa Zsa.....(smiley face)

We also have had a few seniors post that were done back before hardware, before the Harrington era (1962) spending a year in plaster casts. Karen Ocker being one of them was actually operated on by Dr Cobb around 1957....Dr Cobb established the angular system for spinal curves that we use today.

I have always tried to help out as a scoliosis can be daunting....Years ago before the forum, we had to forge our own paths alone. The older members know what I am talking about....there was nobody to talk to, and non scolis just don't understand.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    NSF was quite active years ago.....and we sure have seen a lot of different cases over the years.....mostly adults over 40. We had a few Brits, Kiwi's, and a few Aussies posting also.....Macky from Launceston, Tasmania, the first Harrington done in Australia, and Jen from the Brisbane area are just a few from down under.

The British Scoliosis Support forum was also quite active back in the day. My user name was Rod Stewart on that one. They had a lot of serious cases, and many of them were kyphosis cases. Tonibunny was very active, along with Mark, Spinals, Bendy Bill, and Jaymoe.... They had a few European members also. I am having trouble remembering everyone these days.

Around the time Golfnut was getting ready, Elisa had her son Elias delayed by the BC Canadian system, and was done by Shriners. He had a 115 degree T curve in which his Chiropractor said nothing.... They sent a bus up to Vancouver right away and put him in halo traction in Portland for about 2 months. He came out great after surgery....It sure would be nice if we knew how he was doing......maybe at some point he will chime in. He has to be about 26 now.

In the old threads there is a MOUNTAIN of material....It's unfortunate that many of the links and photos were lost due to software updates on the server.

We have had posters from: UAE, Oman, Moldova, India, Corfu (Greece) Argentina, Israel, UK, Australia, Singapore. I can't remember any other countries, maybe Linda or Sharon might remember more. We had Dr Anand chime in once who is a Minimally Invasive Scoliosis surgeon from LA. We even had an actress from Hollywood! She admitted this to me by e-mail, not on the forum. I don't watch television so not really in tune with that sort of thing....No, it wasn't Zsa Zsa.....(smiley face)

We also have had a few seniors post that were done back before hardware, before the Harrington era (1962) spending a year in plaster casts. Karen Ocker being one of them was actually operated on by Dr Cobb around 1957....Dr Cobb established the angular system for spinal curves that we use today.

I have always tried to help out as a scoliosis can be daunting....Years ago before the forum, we had to forge our own paths alone. The older members know what I am talking about....there was nobody to talk to, and non scolis just don't understand.

Ed
                    When I had my surgery, there were 3 women all having surgery within days of each other. Mine was at Twin Cities Spine Center, another gal was in Minneapolis as well - but she was at a different facility. Jana was in Southern California - Ed was getting us confused!! I remember you making a comment like "I have to think about who I'm talking to - there's so many just out of surgery right now!" I received some really great advice from this forum and had many, many questions answered. It got me through the days!!
                    Decompression surgery L4/L5
                    April 3, 2015
                    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                    2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post
                      When I had my surgery, there were 3 women all having surgery within days of each other. Mine was at Twin Cities Spine Center, another gal was in Minneapolis as well - but she was at a different facility. Jana was in Southern California - Ed was getting us confused!! I remember you making a comment like "I have to think about who I'm talking to - there's so many just out of surgery right now!" I received some really great advice from this forum and had many, many questions answered. It got me through the days!!
                      SuzieBee used to keep a list of people scheduled for surgery (2007 to 2012) It usually had about 10-15 people on it at any given point. You would have to look way back in the archives.

Here is the 101 days post or thread from Jana
                      https://www.scoliosis.org/forum/show...highlight=jana

I wasn't getting Jana confused since she had some rare (Eye) problems. (3rd cranial nerve infarction)

But I do remember quite a few members posting and having trouble keeping them straight. (smiley face)

I will be 13 years post this Friday....We are in the middle of a blizzard right now and there also was a huge snowstorm the days I was operated on.

We are looking at around 7-8 feet of snow on this storm at the ridge tops. Our snowpack is so low right now. When the Sierras average 41 feet plus, this 7-8 feet is not enough. We need this to happen about 6 more times this season.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I hope everyone is doing well. I remember reading most of these posts years ago. It was so very helpful.
                        Scoliosis is just something we have to deal with.
                        It is so nice that most people do really well or at least better.
                        I am at 3 months after my last surgery. I'm walking better but still a little off balance. Now if we can get to less pain in my hand it would be great.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          SuzieBee used to keep a list of people scheduled for surgery (2007 to 2012) It usually had about 10-15 people on it at any given point. You would have to look way back in the archives.

Here is the 101 days post or thread from Jana
                          https://www.scoliosis.org/forum/show...highlight=jana

I wasn't getting Jana confused since she had some rare (Eye) problems. (3rd cranial nerve infarction)

But I do remember quite a few members posting and having trouble keeping them straight. (smiley face)

I will be 13 years post this Friday....We are in the middle of a blizzard right now and there also was a huge snowstorm the days I was operated on.

We are looking at around 7-8 feet of snow on this storm at the ridge tops. Our snowpack is so low right now. When the Sierras average 41 feet plus, this 7-8 feet is not enough. We need this to happen about 6 more times this season.

Ed
                          It's bad enough to be having surgery but it's nerve-wracking to have to drive to the hospital on the day in a blizzard. I had to drive my husband for a heart procedure in a storm. It was early morning and very few cars were out, a good thing, but there wasn't much plowing done, so it was slippery. And of course one of the few vehicles that were out, a big truck, had to pull out and cut us off just as we were about to pass him.

Comment

Working...
                          X