Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Startling statistics regarding scoliosis surgery

Glad that you are doing well. One foot in front of the next. I am on a forum for Spinal Cord Injury survivors and some folks there are really struggling. Whenever I get down about my SCI, I read about an 18 year old quad who is trying to figure out what to do and my partial paraplegia doesn't seem so bad.

I have not seen my images yet.

My surgery is on March 11th, R posterior shoulder replacement with rotator cuff repair. I cannot imagine what postop repair life will be like since I barely manage with both wings working. I am looking forward to less pain and more mobility....in the future, but since I use forearm crutches and a wheelchair, the immediate postop picture won't be pretty. Oh well, just need to suck it up and get it over.

Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw

You Susan are a real trooper. Keep us updated when you can. March 11 th isn't far away.
    After I see my neurosurgeon on March 6 I may be able to move forward on my shoulder problem. Check out shoulder shirts on Amazon. They have some designs that can make dressing easier.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

Thanks Jackie for your encouragement. Not so sure that I am a trooper. I have some down times and discouraging times, especially when I am in pain [like now, I should go to bed]. I try to remain in the "mainstream of life", doing as many activities as I can and adapting to what I find challenging.
    I will check out shirts on Amazon....I need all of the help that I can get!
    Take care, sending you a virtual hug,
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw

I know it is hard not to get down on ourselves and life. I think we struggle most when we are tired of in pain. Do look at those shirts, we need everything that can make it just a little easier. I have a few of the shirts waiting for my shoulder fix. I also made some by putting snaps on the shoulders and underarms of other shirts. All I did was enter shoulder surgery shirts. I'll be in touch with you.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16