Hospital Bag: What to bring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Bag: What to bring

In preparation for my revision coming up I am trying to put together a list of items for my hospital bag that would be, mainly helpful, but also comforting to have with me but not items that are useless or not worth bringing. Surgery for me will be from T10-S1 with SI fixation. It will be happening about 3 hours away from home and they are projecting that I will spend anywhere from 7-10 days in the hospital. Feel free to add-to or amend either of these lists based on your experiences and opinions.

Personal Toiletries
    Dry or wet shampoo
    Face wash
    Lotion
    Hairbrush
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    Earplugs (an attempt to get good restful sleep w/o beeping of monitors and my husbands snoring)
    Toileting wand
    Raised toilet seat

Clothing (providing they let me be out of a gown at some point to feel more “human”
    Knee-length robe
    Button front shirts
    Bras (no underwire & front closing)
    Lounge pants
    Grippy socks or slip-on slippers
    Underwear

Creature Comforts
    Chargers (phone & kindle)
    Phone
    Kindle
    Body pillow (U or C shaped pregnancy body pillow)
    Headphones
    Embroidery project
    Grabby-stick/reaching assist
    Pictures of my kids

Am I missing anything? When I had my first surgery I was 12 so my mom instinctually handled packing everything.
    Feb 2003 - Diagnosed C (35) T (45) L (25)
    Dec 2003 - T2-T12 Fusion correcting to C (8), T (14), L (20)
    Oct 2019 - Lumbar curve progressed to 40
    Nov 2019 - Thoracic curve progressed to 31
    June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

Every hospital that I have been in has elevated toilets
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Here is an old thread you might glance through....

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...o+the+hospital

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I was in the hospital for fusion surgery in the past year. I will answer from my point of view, you might disagree on several points. I think you are overpacking.

Dry or wet shampoo, face wash – Not needed; did not take a bath, was sponge bathed by nurses. They did not wash my hair.

Lotion – Didn’t use it, they probably had it if I had asked.
            They confiscated some of the things I brought. Even saline nasal spray was considered a drug. They wanted to issue all drugs as needed and they kept records.
            I have prescription drugs I take regularly. They asked in advance what those were, I had to bring in the bottles in my pre-surgery interview. They issued these drugs to me themselves when I was in the hospital, I was not allowed to bring my own bottles with me.

Hairbrush – They probably have cheap ones, best to bring your own.

Toothbrush/toothpaste – They had cheap disposable brushes, good idea to bring your own.

Earplugs (an attempt to get good restful sleep w/o beeping of monitors and my husbands snoring) - OK

Raised toilet seat – hospital had high portable commode

Toileting wand – I was led to commode by nurses and wiped by them

Clothing (providing they let me be out of a gown at some point to feel more “human”

I spent the entire time in a johnnie without underwear (opaque johnnie, thank goodness). When I left my room for accompanied exercise the nurses were good about pinning the back closed. They didn’t want me to get dressed, it gets in the way of their procedures and slows them down. You'll have all kinds of wires and tubes sticking out of you: monitoring your functions, feeding you drugs, vitamins, etc. Johnnies are practical.
            So no Knee-length robe or lounge pants. I would have been unable to dress myself without help anyway.

Button front shirts – These are easier than pullover shirts with a sore back.

Bras (no underwire & front closing) – Good idea on both counts.

Grippy socks or slip-on slippers – Hospital provided grippy socks and did not permit other footwear. They want to see you walk in nearly bare feet after surgery.

The only clothes I had were the ones I wore in. Surgery was in early AM so these clothes were worn only a couple of hours. Clean enough to wear again when discharged with change of underwear and socks only.

From Marshall's I brought a pair of inexpensive (but good, and flat) shoes just for the hospital, and wore my oldest outerwear jacket. I was worried about things getting stolen. They warned us that that was a risk.

Creature Comforts
            Chargers (phone & kindle) – There were built-in charging ports but I did bring cords

Phone - I brought a temporary phone so that if it got lost or stolen no one would get my personal info.

Kindle, – I was in no shape to read.

Body pillow (U or C shaped pregnancy body pillow) – A good idea to bring whatever pillow you want. They had rubber bed pillows that were easily washable but not too soft.

Headphones – Audio entertainment is good to have.

Embroidery project – I was in no shape for anything like this. After surgery I was very fatigued and anxious and didn’t get much sleep.

Grabby-stick/reaching assist – Not needed, I did very little sitting up and watched TV when I did. Everything I wanted was within reach on my tray on wheels.

Pictures of my kids – Sure, why not?

Again for security, I did not keep my driver's license or insurance card in the hospital. My husband took them home. Once that hospital ID bracelet was on my wrist they knew who I was (nurses and attending doctors ask you your birth date incessantly and scan the bracelet with every procedure for positive ID). And don't wear any jewelry, no wedding rings, leave it home.
            Last edited by Tina_R; 01-25-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
              I was in the hospital for fusion surgery in the past year. I will answer from my point of view, you might disagree on several points. I think you are overpacking.

Dry or wet shampoo, face wash – Not needed; did not take a bath, was sponge bathed by nurses. They did not wash my hair.

Lotion – Didn’t use it, they probably had it if I had asked.
              They confiscated some of the things I brought. Even saline nasal spray was considered a drug. They wanted to issue all drugs as needed and they kept records.
              I have prescription drugs I take regularly. They asked in advance what those were, I had to bring in the bottles in my pre-surgery interview. They issued these drugs to me themselves when I was in the hospital, I was not allowed to bring my own bottles with me.

Hairbrush – They probably have cheap ones, best to bring your own.

Toothbrush/toothpaste – They had cheap disposable brushes, good idea to bring your own.

Earplugs (an attempt to get good restful sleep w/o beeping of monitors and my husbands snoring) - OK

Raised toilet seat – hospital had high portable commode

Toileting wand – I was led to commode by nurses and wiped by them

I spent the entire time in a johnnie without underwear (opaque johnnie, thank goodness). When I left my room for accompanied exercise the nurses were good about pinning the back closed. They didn’t want me to get dressed, it gets in the way of their procedures and slows them down.
              So no Knee-length robe or lounge pants. I would have been unable to dress myself without help anyway.

Button front shirts – These are easier than pullover shirts with a sore back.

Bras (no underwire & front closing) – Good idea on both counts.

Grippy socks or slip-on slippers – Hospital provided grippy socks and did not permit other footwear. They want to see you walk in nearly bare feet after surgery.

The only clothes I had were the ones I wore in. Surgery was in early AM so these clothes were worn only a couple of hours. Clean enough to wear again when discharged with change of underwear and socks only.

From Marshall's I brought a pair of inexpensive (but good, and flat) shoes just for the hospital, and wore my oldest outerwear jacket. I was worried about things getting stolen. They warned us that that was a risk.

Creature Comforts
              Chargers (phone & kindle) – There were built-in charging ports but I did bring cords

Phone - I brought a temporary phone so that if it got lost or stolen no one would get my personal info.

Kindle, – I was in no shape to read.

Body pillow (U or C shaped pregnancy body pillow) – A good idea to bring whatever pillow you want. They had rubber bed pillows that were easily washable but not too soft.

Headphones – Audio entertainment is good to have.

Embroidery project – I was in no shape for anything like this. After surgery I was very fatigued and anxious and didn’t get much sleep.

Grabby-stick/reaching assist – Not needed, I did very little sitting up and watched TV when I did. Everything I wanted was within reach on my tray on wheels.

Pictures of my kids – Sure, why not?

Again for security, I did not keep my driver's license or insurance card in the hospital. My husband took them home. Once that hospital ID bracelet was on my wrist they knew who I was (nurses and attending doctors ask you your birth date incessantly and scan the bracelet with every procedure for positive ID). And don't wear any jewelry, no wedding rings, leave it home.
              Tina, have a friend who’s planning to be w/ me day of surgery but won’t stay entire hospital stay + I’ suppose to go straight into on-campus rehab. Was trying to figure out what to do w/ my purse/phone like the personal items you don’t want to go MIA? I guess I’ll ask before admission. Good info given.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Here is an old thread you might glance through....

Ed
                Thanks so much for finding this thread-greatly appreciated-Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
                  Tina, have a friend who’s planning to be w/ me day of surgery but won’t stay entire hospital stay + I’ suppose to go straight into on-campus rehab. Was trying to figure out what to do w/ my purse/phone like the personal items you don’t want to go MIA? I guess I’ll ask before admission. Good info given.
                  I don't know what happens when you go from the hospital to rehab, Nancy, what happens to your stuff. I would agree you should find out in advance.

My things were stored in my unlocked closet all the time I was in the hospital. I had nothing that I would miss very much if it got lost. This is not hard to do. I had under $20 cash and didn't need money, there was nowhere to spend it confined to my room.

Comment

I would say bring the least amount of items that you can. Most of the equipment( like reachers) will be supplied to you. If you end up with an extra one you can use it in different parts of your house.
                    You will not be able to concentrate enough to read . But as you get better all hospitals I have been in have books and magazines you can borrow.
                    I just got out of another surgery, all they do with you stuff is place it all in a bag with your name on it and it comes with you where ever you are.
                    I would bring a few changes of clothes for rehab as you will get dressed every day you are there.
                    If you can pack it and have someone bring it later that would be best.
                    Any items forgotten that you need will be supplied.
                    You will be fine with the minimal amount of things.
                    Last edited by jackieg412; 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie

What happened?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hi Ed, I had a portion of my right thoracic hardware removed. I know the surgeon said he removed 4 screws and the rod in that area. This is in hope to get the wound to heal.
                        We used Ketamine and another drug for surgery and post up pain. I was on a trip there for awhile. I had to stay longer in the hospital because I was so dizzy. I just came home.
                        Hopefully this wound will heal now but they changed the treatment to include medihoney. Everyone has a different idea of treatment . I will go back to wound care this week.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

I hope you are you ok.... How is the pain?

The dizzies are a drag....and its so hard to say why they happen a lot of the times. Of course you just came out from surgery so I guess its something one can expect. Heck, I am dizzy right now. It comes and it goes. I need to lay down.

Ok, so if I remember correctly, you had a portion of thoracic hardware removed a few years ago. Is there a section now without hardware in your thoracic?

What did the docs say about the infection? Did things get cleaned up nicely?

I hope this passes quickly. You have been through a lot.

Sorry about deviating on this thread.... I am terrible about this lately.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Purchasing equipment...when and how through insurance?

Related to items needed for surgery, how is the best way to go about acquiring devices and items needed for the recovery period after surgery but doing it before surgery? If your insurance plan covers the costs is that something they only do after the procedure is done or can you be proactive about it at all? Would hate to go through surgery and come home needing gear and devices only to have to play the hurry up and wait game
                            Feb 2003 - Diagnosed C (35) T (45) L (25)
                            Dec 2003 - T2-T12 Fusion correcting to C (8), T (14), L (20)
                            Oct 2019 - Lumbar curve progressed to 40
                            Nov 2019 - Thoracic curve progressed to 31
                            June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                              Hi Ed, I had a portion of my right thoracic hardware removed. I know the surgeon said he removed 4 screws and the rod in that area. This is in hope to get the wound to heal.
                              We used Ketamine and another drug for surgery and post up pain. I was on a trip there for awhile. I had to stay longer in the hospital because I was so dizzy. I just came home.
                              Hopefully this wound will heal now but they changed the treatment to include medihoney. Everyone has a different idea of treatment . I will go back to wound care this week.

I was wondering why you had your hardware removed.
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                              X