Older Adults who are Single Having Surgery Prolonged Due To Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scared View Post
    I am a strong willed, logical thinker who has learned how to deal w/ & talk to drs esp. ortho docs who often present as having their frontal lobe (hypothalamus/amgydala) removed during residency.
    What are these parts of the brain for; empathy? social skills?

Originally posted by Scared View Post
    My career path lead me to achieving Joint Commission Accreditation for Behavioral Healthcare w/in 1 yr by myself. This experience educated me in learning many things re: how the medical world operates from infection control; Credentialing/Privileging of drs.; Developing drug formularies & doing training on progress notation among many other requirements.
    As a psychologist you achieved this accreditation for your practice? Tell us more about that.
    Last edited by Tina_R; 01-28-2020, 10:48 PM.

Comment

CNA = Certified Nursing Assistant...they provide basic care. They are not Registered Nurses. or RN's They report to a Registered nurse.

$22/hr sounds about right. There are many companies that offer these services.

I used her for around 2-3 hours in the morning. Mainly to get things and drive me to the doctor. I did not need any bathroom assistance, shower assistance or any assistance getting dressed. She did help with buying and setting up my foam topper on my bed after 2 weeks of struggling to sleep. Its hard to sleep and its hard to get comfortable after surgery. I could not change the sheets on the bed. Not in the first few weeks anyway....

You have learned a lot from this forum over the past few months, and there is a lot of valuable information here. I don't look back at past threads all that much anymore, but when I do I am amazed. I think you will be ok, and you know what to do.

There has been some activity recently on the preparation process for surgery, "what should I buy or do in advance?". With me being the Oscar Madison of scoliosis surgery, I didn't buy anything. Many guys don't plan or prep things unless they are going fishing. (smiley face) I figured with the CNA on standby, I could use her to go and get what I need.

Blast from the past
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMt_oBrFnjk

I was NPO (no food by mouth) but don't know if I had any pressed duck through my arm. (smiley face)

Ed
      Last edited by titaniumed; 01-28-2020, 11:14 PM.
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        CNA = Certified Nursing Assistant...they provide basic care. They are not Registered Nurses. or RN's They report to a Registered nurse.

$22/hr sounds about right. There are many companies that offer these services.

I used her for around 2-3 hours in the morning. Mainly to get things and drive me to the doctor. I did not need any bathroom assistance, shower assistance or any assistance getting dressed. She did help with buying and setting up my foam topper on my bed after 2 weeks of struggling to sleep. Its hard to sleep and its hard to get comfortable after surgery. I could not change the sheets on the bed. Not in the first few weeks anyway....

You have learned a lot from this forum over the past few months, and there is a lot of valuable information here. I don't look back at past threads all that much anymore, but when I do I am amazed. I think you will be ok, and you know what to do.

There has been some activity recently on the preparation process for surgery, "what should I buy or do in advance?". With me being the Oscar Madison of scoliosis surgery, I didn't buy anything. Many guys don't plan or prep things unless they are going fishing. (smiley face) I figured with the CNA on standby, I could use her to go and get what I need.

Blast from the past
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMt_oBrFnjk

I was NPO (no food by mouth) but don't know if I had any pressed duck through my arm. (smiley face)

Ed
        Actually there’s only 1 company that provides in-home health aides where I live & $22/hr is expensive living on disability. I’ had 4 major surgeries already so kinda of know the drill -HATE the NP tube-During 1st surgery RN inserted too large of a tube in ER which caused major complications for me. Again always enjoy your sense of humor Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
          What are these parts of the brain for; empathy? social skills?
          Hypothalamus is lobe that basically controls your emotions.

As a psychologist you achieved this accreditation for your practice? Tell us more about that.
          I have Masters degree in social work/minor psy. Did about everything from social work, therapist to mgt leading to the Joint Commission for Behavioral healthcare. Probably not appropriate to get into 2 much in this forum as it’s pretty lengthy. But all medical facilities like hospitals are required to be accredited by Joint Commission. This means the organizations are required to meet certain standards everything from patient education, plans of care, safety, performance improvement outcomes, etc. I’m sure they have changed since I was working. If you interested in more pm me Tina.

Comment

Scared a la Nancy: I tried to send you a reply message and the "administrator" replied that your inbox could not receive any more messages until space is created.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X