11 years out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
    Under clothing, my brace makes me look hunchbacked so I don't know if that would be an improvement.
    I'm guessing that your brace is not fitted properly.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      I'm guessing that your brace is not fitted properly.
      My surgeon has seen it on me and had no objections. I will say that I don't like the way it fits, it tends to slide down despite being a small size and a snug fit. I need to wear clingy material under it like a sweater. Other people have complained about this type of brace sliding from what my visiting nurse said.

Comment

Brace?

In the book on Scoliosis by a patient, I believe he talked about sometimes a doc will require you to wear a brace. To be fused probably at least mid-Thoracic to sacrum is it pretty common for you to wear a brace? If so how does it attach (hooks, etc.) ? Just curious- makes sense to wear 1 during initial recovery.

Comment

I had to wear a brace for the first spine surgery. The doctor said it was only to remind me not to bend or twist. It was easy to put on . I would say it was big snaps and velcro. It adjusted up the side to fit. It fit under most of my clothes and since I went back to work at 2 months out ,I still had the brace on.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
            In the book on Scoliosis by a patient, I believe he talked about sometimes a doc will require you to wear a brace. To be fused probably at least mid-Thoracic to sacrum is it pretty common for you to wear a brace? If so how does it attach (hooks, etc.) ? Just curious- makes sense to wear 1 during initial recovery.
            Nancy, you mean David Wolpert.

I had a split clamshell brace that was made "before" my surgeries that didnt fit too well after my surgeries, so I didnt wear it much. (About 3X) It has velcro straps on both sides of the brace for adjustment. They dont fit as tight as any corective type of brace, they offer a level of protection after our surgeries.

Full hard braces work great at bending and twisting prevention or limitation. We are not supposed to bend, lift, or twist for a long time. No BLT's.

I dont have a photo of this brace on my laptop, but the photo is posted on this forum someplace.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
              I had to wear a brace for the first spine surgery. The doctor said it was only to remind me not to bend or twist. It was easy to put on . I would say it was big snaps and velcro. It adjusted up the side to fit. It fit under most of my clothes and since I went back to work at 2 months out ,I still had the brace on.
              My brace was only as a reminder, too. For the first 6-weeks, I had it on anytime I was upright. I wore mine on the outside of my t-shirts. My surgery was June 24 so my initial recovery was in the heat & humidity of Minneapolis in July. When I walked outside I got super sweaty, and I was staying in my son's small apartment with only a window A/C in the living room. I don't think I could have had that brace on my skin, it would have been way too uncomfortable.

My brace was very easy to put on and adjust. I just wrapped it around me and it fastened with velcro - then I pulled a string on both sides that tightened it (or something like that). It was very easy.

When I got home after my first 6 weeks, I did wear my brace if I was walking outside - in case I tripped and started falling. Even if I went in public with it on, I wore it on the outside of my shirt. But like I said in my earlier post, I rarely went in public for quite awhile.

Kathy
              Decompression surgery L4/L5
              April 3, 2015
              Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
              Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
              June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
              Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
              Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
              After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
              2 inches taller

Comment

More and more surgeons have stopped prescribing postop braces. At one time, I think just about everyone with a long fusion wore postop braces. I got a soft brace after my last fusions, but was told I only needed to wear it if I felt better with it on. (I didn't.)

At UCSF, I used to see patients with really poorly fitted braces. It wasn't terribly obvious unless I'd see them walking, and from the side. I'd occasionally point those patients out to surgeons, at which time they'd typically tell the patients they could ditch their brace. Mostly, I think, patients are out of their braces when they're being examined, so I think the surgeons just aren't aware unless a patient (or someone else) calls it to their attention.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

More and more surgeons have stopped prescribing postop braces. At one time, I think just about everyone with a long fusion wore postop braces. I got a soft brace after my last fusions, but was told I only needed to wear it if I felt better with it on. (I didn't.)

At UCSF, I used to see patients with really poorly fitted braces. It wasn't terribly obvious unless I'd see them walking, and from the side. I'd occasionally point those patients out to surgeons, at which time they'd typically tell the patients they could ditch their brace. Mostly, I think, patients are out of their braces when they're being examined, so I think the surgeons just aren't aware unless a patient (or someone else) calls it to their attention.
                  I mentioned that my brace slides down. It happens especially when I walk. Maybe it's something about my body type. My upper body is kind of bony, not cushioned with flesh that might be more grippable.

Another thing I don't like is that the elliptical back section, constantly pressing on the small of my back, is irritating. I wonder if you can get a pinched nerve from your back brace. The surgeon says no. I wonder if surgeons are brace experts.

Yet I do feel more secure with mine on. I've gotten dependent on it. It even helps when I'm having pain, having it on and feeling its support distracts me from the pain. I've even worn it to bed when I'm in pain -- probably not a good idea.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
                    My surgeon has seen it on me and had no objections. I will say that I don't like the way it fits, it tends to slide down despite being a small size and a snug fit. I need to wear clingy material under it like a sweater. Other people have complained about this type of brace sliding from what my visiting nurse said.
                    Tina I tried to send a PM but apparently my inbox is too full-don’t know how to “archive “ ? But thanks for sending pic of Jewett brace -now know what folks are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
                      Tina I tried to send a PM but apparently my inbox is too full-don’t know how to “archive “ ? But thanks for sending pic of Jewett brace -now know what folks are talking about.
                      As far as I know, there's no way to archive messages. When my mailbox is full, I delete both my Sent and Received messages.

Comment

PM inbox

As far as I know, there's no way to archive messages. When my mailbox is full, I delete both my Sent and Received messages.
                        Linda I received email from the forum informing me my Inbox was full & stated I had option to “archive” messages. I tried calling last week to obtain info on how to do this but could not get thru.

Comment

Check all the messages that you want to save. At the bottom of the messages, click "selected messages" and you will have a choice of saving the messages in one of several formats. You can save one or all of them.

After you save the messages, delete one or more or all of them so you have room in your inbox.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                          X