Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: 11 years out

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina_R View Post
    Under clothing, my brace makes me look hunchbacked so I don't know if that would be an improvement.
    I'm guessing that your brace is not fitted properly.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    I'm guessing that your brace is not fitted properly.
    My surgeon has seen it on me and had no objections. I will say that I don't like the way it fits, it tends to slide down despite being a small size and a snug fit. I need to wear clingy material under it like a sweater. Other people have complained about this type of brace sliding from what my visiting nurse said.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    89

    Brace?

    In the book on Scoliosis by a patient, I believe he talked about sometimes a doc will require you to wear a brace. To be fused probably at least mid-Thoracic to sacrum is it pretty common for you to wear a brace? If so how does it attach (hooks, etc.) ? Just curious- makes sense to wear 1 during initial recovery.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    844
    I had to wear a brace for the first spine surgery. The doctor said it was only to remind me not to bend or twist. It was easy to put on . I would say it was big snaps and velcro. It adjusted up the side to fit. It fit under most of my clothes and since I went back to work at 2 months out ,I still had the brace on.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    4,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared View Post
    In the book on Scoliosis by a patient, I believe he talked about sometimes a doc will require you to wear a brace. To be fused probably at least mid-Thoracic to sacrum is it pretty common for you to wear a brace? If so how does it attach (hooks, etc.) ? Just curious- makes sense to wear 1 during initial recovery.
    Nancy, you mean David Wolpert.

    I had a split clamshell brace that was made "before" my surgeries that didnt fit too well after my surgeries, so I didnt wear it much. (About 3X) It has velcro straps on both sides of the brace for adjustment. They dont fit as tight as any corective type of brace, they offer a level of protection after our surgeries.

    Full hard braces work great at bending and twisting prevention or limitation. We are not supposed to bend, lift, or twist for a long time. No BLT's.

    I dont have a photo of this brace on my laptop, but the photo is posted on this forum someplace.

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by jackieg412 View Post
    I had to wear a brace for the first spine surgery. The doctor said it was only to remind me not to bend or twist. It was easy to put on . I would say it was big snaps and velcro. It adjusted up the side to fit. It fit under most of my clothes and since I went back to work at 2 months out ,I still had the brace on.
    My brace was only as a reminder, too. For the first 6-weeks, I had it on anytime I was upright. I wore mine on the outside of my t-shirts. My surgery was June 24 so my initial recovery was in the heat & humidity of Minneapolis in July. When I walked outside I got super sweaty, and I was staying in my son's small apartment with only a window A/C in the living room. I don't think I could have had that brace on my skin, it would have been way too uncomfortable.

    My brace was very easy to put on and adjust. I just wrapped it around me and it fastened with velcro - then I pulled a string on both sides that tightened it (or something like that). It was very easy.

    When I got home after my first 6 weeks, I did wear my brace if I was walking outside - in case I tripped and started falling. Even if I went in public with it on, I wore it on the outside of my shirt. But like I said in my earlier post, I rarely went in public for quite awhile.

    Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,104
    More and more surgeons have stopped prescribing postop braces. At one time, I think just about everyone with a long fusion wore postop braces. I got a soft brace after my last fusions, but was told I only needed to wear it if I felt better with it on. (I didn't.)

    At UCSF, I used to see patients with really poorly fitted braces. It wasn't terribly obvious unless I'd see them walking, and from the side. I'd occasionally point those patients out to surgeons, at which time they'd typically tell the patients they could ditch their brace. Mostly, I think, patients are out of their braces when they're being examined, so I think the surgeons just aren't aware unless a patient (or someone else) calls it to their attention.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    More and more surgeons have stopped prescribing postop braces. At one time, I think just about everyone with a long fusion wore postop braces. I got a soft brace after my last fusions, but was told I only needed to wear it if I felt better with it on. (I didn't.)

    At UCSF, I used to see patients with really poorly fitted braces. It wasn't terribly obvious unless I'd see them walking, and from the side. I'd occasionally point those patients out to surgeons, at which time they'd typically tell the patients they could ditch their brace. Mostly, I think, patients are out of their braces when they're being examined, so I think the surgeons just aren't aware unless a patient (or someone else) calls it to their attention.
    I mentioned that my brace slides down. It happens especially when I walk. Maybe it's something about my body type. My upper body is kind of bony, not cushioned with flesh that might be more grippable.

    Another thing I don't like is that the elliptical back section, constantly pressing on the small of my back, is irritating. I wonder if you can get a pinched nerve from your back brace. The surgeon says no. I wonder if surgeons are brace experts.

    Yet I do feel more secure with mine on. I've gotten dependent on it. It even helps when I'm having pain, having it on and feeling its support distracts me from the pain. I've even worn it to bed when I'm in pain -- probably not a good idea.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    89

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tina_R View Post
    My surgeon has seen it on me and had no objections. I will say that I don't like the way it fits, it tends to slide down despite being a small size and a snug fit. I need to wear clingy material under it like a sweater. Other people have complained about this type of brace sliding from what my visiting nurse said.
    Tina I tried to send a PM but apparently my inbox is too full-donít know how to ďarchive ď ? But thanks for sending pic of Jewett brace -now know what folks are talking about.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared View Post
    Tina I tried to send a PM but apparently my inbox is too full-donít know how to ďarchive ď ? But thanks for sending pic of Jewett brace -now know what folks are talking about.
    As far as I know, there's no way to archive messages. When my mailbox is full, I delete both my Sent and Received messages.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    89

    PM inbox

    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    As far as I know, there's no way to archive messages. When my mailbox is full, I delete both my Sent and Received messages.
    Linda I received email from the forum informing me my Inbox was full & stated I had option to ďarchiveĒ messages. I tried calling last week to obtain info on how to do this but could not get thru.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,317
    Check all the messages that you want to save. At the bottom of the messages, click "selected messages" and you will have a choice of saving the messages in one of several formats. You can save one or all of them.

    After you save the messages, delete one or more or all of them so you have room in your inbox.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •