Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Full Fusion and Cars

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    829
    My spine surgeon was very strict about no treadmills. It leads to tripping and possibly falling. If you are just walking you can adjust your step better. Less risk. Of course once you are healed you can do what you want.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    4,024
    Same here. My surgeon had "No Treadmills" in 1/2" BOLD letters

    Again, I took another bumpy stop and go local trip in a Toyota Pick up that completely wiped my neck out. My forearm also hurt like the dickens, never had that happen before. The weather has been great, the car rides are wiping me out. In the US, I have a very smooth 1 mile ride to the grocery store, and have not been driving much over the last year.

    It is looking like I have to be careful with these car rides from now on.

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    829
    Hi Ed, oh those car rides. I avoid all that I can.
    Also the pain down the arm. That is my lasting pain from the broken neck. I think it is impossible to deal with. I will go Thursday for the year follow up to Rush in Chicago. Another long day in the car.
    Also to discuss this wound on my back that is beginning to heal but thought to be a pressure ulcer. If that is so they may need to look at the hardware. It can also be a lack of muscle because of the failed muscle there.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    4,024
    Quote Originally Posted by jackieg412 View Post
    Also the pain down the arm. That is my lasting pain from the broken neck.
    Still happening? Its been over a year since your crash.

    Its so bizarre to have this pain when you know its not the arm....You can also have more arm and hand pain than neck pain.

    Its like sciatica pain, only in the arms.

    "In spine we trust" If I had to pick a tattoo for my back, that would be it.....

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Its like sciatica pain, only in the arms.
    That's because the proper medical diagnosis is actually radiculopathy for both conditions.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    26
    I had a slipped disc at C6-C7 that was causing nerve pain in my arm a year or two ago and it was excruciating. I could lay on my right side OK, but any other position and it would be so painful. I would wake up screaming in pain in the middle of the night. When we first saw a neurosurgeon my spouse wanted him to operate (I would have gotten an artificial disc because the rest of my spine was OK so I wouldn't need fusion) ASAP because the pain was making *her* miserable, but he wanted to wait a couple of months because *usually* that sort of pain goes away. It started to get better about a month later. I still get mild pain and "crunchiness" down my left arm if I sit too long in the same position.

    One medication he prescribed that seemed to work reasonably well was gabapentin.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    71

    Gabapentin/Neurontin

    I have been on Gabapentin aka Neurontin for about 11 years. It was prescribed after bi-lateral hip replacement. I donít recall if it helped in the early stages but now no relief. It was prescribed for neuropathy pain. Hopefully it will help with The Cervical pain.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    4,024
    Still surviving down here.....dont have the excruciating pain, but still pretty strong. Trying to lay a low as possible.

    No more pickup truck rides for me....

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by jackieg412 View Post
    My spine surgeon was very strict about no treadmills. It leads to tripping and possibly falling. If you are just walking you can adjust your step better. Less risk. Of course once you are healed you can do what you want.
    My visiting physical therapist recommended the treadmill. It's possible my surgeon would have been less enthusiastic about it, but this therapist was from his network.

    Exercise is important, helps you heal. I agree that it is riskier to be on a treadmill than to walk when it comes to falling and that falling can be disastrous. But you can reduce the risk by going slow, paying attention (no TV or distractions), and having a treadmill that stops if you lose your footing.

    I would risk an occasional treadmill run over no exercise when I have few other options for walking. It's winter and right now there is still snow in my driveway, so that's out.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina_R View Post
    My visiting physical therapist recommended the treadmill. It's possible my surgeon would have been less enthusiastic about it, but this therapist was from his network.

    Exercise is important, helps you heal. I agree that it is riskier to be on a treadmill than to walk when it comes to falling and that falling can be disastrous. But you can reduce the risk by going slow, paying attention (no TV or distractions), and having a treadmill that stops if you lose your footing.

    I would risk an occasional treadmill run over no exercise when I have few other options for walking. It's winter and right now there is still snow in my driveway, so that's out.
    I've always wondered why some surgeons recommend against the treadmill. To me, it seems a lot safer, as long as there are arms on which to hold. While I think that getting outside and experiencing the world is good for recovery, when the weather is less than optimal, I think the treadmill is a great option.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    I've always wondered why some surgeons recommend against the treadmill. To me, it seems a lot safer, as long as there are arms on which to hold. While I think that getting outside and experiencing the world is good for recovery, when the weather is less than optimal, I think the treadmill is a great option.
    Yes, I don't love treadmills at all. I much prefer to see the world go by and the view change when I walk. And breathe fresh air. But you can't always.
    Last edited by Tina_R; 12-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •