Pre-Op Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Op Pain

Living with chronic back pain for 30 years. Now age 63 with pain level 7/10 spiking to 9 regularly. No longer on pain meds. ANY activity increases pain resulting in having to lay down with heating pad & some Tylenol which barely touches it. I only have 4 months left until I have my appt with Scoliosis doc who will not do surgery unless I am physically fit. Very frustrating. Can’t walk my dog, keep house clean, etc. Over the years I think I’v tried about everything except wearing garlic around my neck & smearing ashes over body (laugh). Would appreciate any wisdom or thoughts. Thanks Nancy

Originally posted by Scared View Post
    Living with chronic back pain for 30 years. Now age 63 with pain level 7/10 spiking to 9 regularly. No longer on pain meds. ANY activity increases pain resulting in having to lay down with heating pad & some Tylenol which barely touches it. I only have 4 months left until I have my appt with Scoliosis doc who will not do surgery unless I am physically fit. Very frustrating. Can’t walk my dog, keep house clean, etc. Over the years I think I’v tried about everything except wearing garlic around my neck & smearing ashes over body (laugh). Would appreciate any wisdom or thoughts. Thanks Nancy
    It's possible that an injection might be helpful. Dr. Gupta will almost certainly refer you if he thinks it will help.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Is it possible for you to do much movement while you are laying down? There are a number of exercises that a person can do while on your back for your upper body and core strength, as well as stretching movements. While it isn't as effective for weight loss as walking and doing "normal" daily activities upright might be, it can still be helpful. I found that ANY type of exercise/movement was beneficial for me, even if I was doing it flat on my back.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. It's not fun.....

Kathy
      Decompression surgery L4/L5
      April 3, 2015
      Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
      Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
      June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
      Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
      Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
      After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
      2 inches taller

Comment

Nancy, You have done a lot of weaning lately which is painful. That's not an easy thing to do, your body is going through some major biochemical changes....I take it you are now off the Zanaflex? I cant comment on that since I never took it and its not talked about much around here. ALS patients take Zanaflex for muscle twitching.

I would eat as healthy as possible. Replace meds with nutrients. Yogurt is good food. I have read that blueberries are just about the healthiest thing you can eat. Are you having trouble eating?

Sipping water all day long is important. Dehydration causes all sorts of problems. Water with lemon juice will help with your immune system.

Walking is really important. After surgery, its one step at a time....you stop, rest, then continue, then when the pain hits, you lay down again. Repeat for 1 year.

I remember before my surgeries (2006) being in major pain out in Hawaii. Every 2 hours, I was in a hot tub struggling with pain. At 4 in the morning, I was coming back and got stuck in the rain in a parking lot. It didn't matter since the rain out there is so comfortable, but was worried about people waking up seeing me wondering what the heck I was doing standing out there. I was probably not taking NSAID's since I was diving....and you just don't dive on med's.... I ended up getting a real Lomi Lomi massage from a Hawaiian master..... In a gazebo, in the jungle during a rain storm, hot rocks, some sort of leaves, smoke and chanting.....about a 3 hour process. I was dying and she saved me. Man-o-man. Just some of the battles I went through leading up to my surgeries....

(With diving, I always did water launches and exits. I would NEVER stand up with all that gear on)

Sleeping is also so hard in pain. In the past, I never took any sleep aids for this. It took a lot of effort getting into a comfortable position. I would eat something small, and try to go to bed again....

I would be a good idea to call Dr Gupta's office and let them know where you are at. E-mail his nurse or assistant. E-mail is the best form of communication. Keep e-mail's short, just a few questions. Ask them if there is anything you can do for pain.

Hang in there, your a tough one.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

There's always swimming and gentle water aerobics. Before my initial surgery, I did water aerobics about 5 times a week. While I could barely stand for more than a few minutes, I had no problem in the water. I found that the warmer the water, the better it felt.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Water therapy saved me....I started diving for my scoliosis, and didn't know if it would really work, but scoliosis sure is a good excuse to dive! Ha ha

I will never forget being on the dive boat in major pain with the divemaster explaining the dive profiles with each group. I was with Mike and Mike, and Steve and Steve, all dressed in black rubber looking the same under water. I went down and grouped up with the wrong guys, and then about 15 minutes later I could hear the box wrench rapping on the tank as they were wondering where I was at. Ha ha That dive did not help....Traction or de-weighting is funny, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't for trying to retract discs. Its worth a try though, since I managed to get off Celebrex using water therapy. The pain would simply go away.

Its so shocking what happened to the divers down by the Channel Islands. I have been on live aboard scuba ships and usually the sleeping quarters are down on the lowest level with only one staircase leading up. They were trapped by fire.....If they could get out, it would be no problem hopping into the ocean without gear since many divers are into night diving. I will miss a day dive over a night dive. I was invited to go on that ship many years ago by one of my instructors. Around 34 divers died.
            https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/us/ca...day/index.html

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post
              Is it possible for you to do much movement while you are laying down? There are a number of exercises that a person can do while on your back for your upper body and core strength, as well as stretching movements. While it isn't as effective for weight loss as walking and doing "normal" daily activities upright might be, it can still be helpful. I found that ANY type of exercise/movement was beneficial for me, even if I was doing it flat on my back.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. It's not fun.....

Kathy
              Weight loss not an issue. I go to PT 2x week & depending upon my pain level I make myself do strength barring (sp?) exercises. He also has me doing stretches laying down on table with bands around legs + pelvic tilts. Had PT today & am in pain (a lot). 1 of my docs told me about a dr specializing in pain, physiologist/rehabilitation which I am considering getting a appt with. I use to be a gym rat until my mid 40s-always stretched out before/afterwards. What was your pain level like before your surgery? & afterwards? Thanks for your suggestions. Nancy p.s. error in my post pain level is 8/10 not 7/10. Can’ imagine pain post-opt

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                There's always swimming and gentle water aerobics. Before my initial surgery, I did water aerobics about 5 times a week. While I could barely stand for more than a few minutes, I had no problem in the water. I found that the warmer the water, the better it felt.

--Linda
                After my PT appt today I went to YMCA & got a Silver Sneakers membership (free w/ my health insurance) so I could use the pool. So I can utilize aquatic exercises (hopefully) in between PT appts. Thanks Nancy

Comment

Weight loss not an issue. I go to PT 2x week & depending upon my pain level I make myself do strength barring (sp?) exercises. He also has me doing stretches laying down on table with bands around legs + pelvic tilts. Had PT today & am in pain (a lot). 1 of my docs told me about a dr specializing in pain, physiologist/rehabilitation which I am considering getting a appt with. I use to be a gym rat until my mid 40s-always stretched out before/afterwards. What was your pain level like before your surgery? & afterwards? Thanks for your suggestions. Nancy p.s. error in my post pain level is 8/10 not 7/10. Can’ imagine pain post-opt
                  Nancy...

I've been told that pelvic tilts are not appropriate for scoliosis prehab/rehab, so you might consider that your PT is making things worse instead of better. Just a thought.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    Nancy, You have done a lot of weaning lately which is painful. That's not an easy thing to do, your body is going through some major biochemical changes....I take it you are now off the Zanaflex? I cant comment on that since I never took it and its not talked about much around here. ALS patients take Zanaflex for muscle twitching.

I would eat as healthy as possible. Replace meds with nutrients. Yogurt is good food. I have read that blueberries are just about the healthiest thing you can eat. Are you having trouble eating?

Sipping water all day long is important. Dehydration causes all sorts of problems. Water with lemon juice will help with your immune system.

Walking is really important. After surgery, its one step at a time....you stop, rest, then continue, then when the pain hits, you lay down again. Repeat for 1 year.

I remember before my surgeries (2006) being in major pain out in Hawaii. Every 2 hours, I was in a hot tub struggling with pain. At 4 in the morning, I was coming back and got stuck in the rain in a parking lot. It didn't matter since the rain out there is so comfortable, but was worried about people waking up seeing me wondering what the heck I was doing standing out there. I was probably not taking NSAID's since I was diving....and you just don't dive on med's.... I ended up getting a real Lomi Lomi massage from a Hawaiian master..... In a gazebo, in the jungle during a rain storm, hot rocks, some sort of leaves, smoke and chanting.....about a 3 hour process. I was dying and she saved me. Man-o-man. Just some of the battles I went through leading up to my surgeries....

(With diving, I always did water launches and exits. I would NEVER stand up with all that gear on)

Sleeping is also so hard in pain. In the past, I never took any sleep aids for this. It took a lot of effort getting into a comfortable position. I would eat something small, and try to go to bed again....

I would be a good idea to call Dr Gupta's office and let them know where you are at. E-mail his nurse or assistant. E-mail is the best form of communication. Keep e-mail's short, just a few questions. Ask them if there is anything you can do for pain. I am trying to eat well + vitamins

Hang in there, your a tough one.

Ed
                    I haven’t been able to titrate off the stupid Zanaflex. I was prescribed this muscle relaxer at the pain Mgt center. So sorry if I’ repeating myself but nobody told me about the adverse side effects. It’s only meant to be used on short term basis. I’v been taking it for 7? yes & can’t sleep w/o it. Have experienced insomnia for past 6 yrs & still cannot get more than 4-5 hrs uninterrupted sleep even w/ 2 insomnia meds! I entered a new post regarding Zanaflex. It’s not an controlled substance or narcotic. Previously took soma & flexaril (sp?). Have been off meth 3/18. No problems but worried what Dr Gupta will say regarding this muscle relaxer problem. I don’t know if Dr Gupta will do anything as I only saw him 12/17 & Spine is much worse. I1 of my docs told me about a dr who specializes in pain Mgt + physiology/rehabilitation. Am considering getting appt & check him out. Trying to eat well + vitamins/supplements. Read your other thread today regarding the scuba diving accident & thought about you- it’s so sad for those people who were trapped in that boat. Thanks Nancy

Comment

Nancy...

I've been told that pelvic tilts are not appropriate for scoliosis prehab/rehab, so you might consider that your PT is making things worse instead of better. Just a thought.

--Linda
                      Thanks for info- my PT has never had an adult Scoliosis patient but 1 adolescent. I made multiple phone calls trying to hook him up with a PT at the on campus rehabilitation center in order to get advise/more specifics regarding exercises to prepare me. I will have to make another attempt to accomplish this. The last call was to Dr Bridwell (retired) but does a clinic where PTs are involved. They didn’t understand my “specific” voicemail & re-routed back to Dr G’s medical assistant who in turn called me 🤨. Thanks Nancy

Comment

It's possible that an injection might be helpful. Dr. Gupta will almost certainly refer you if he thinks it will help.
                        Linda What type of injections? Over the years I had steroid injections which later I learned are not good for you. Haven’t had facet injections-have you? Or what about nerve blocks? I tried a spinal cord simulator trial but it failed. Today I am in a lot of pain from L side of neck down to shoulder therefore stuck to heating pad. From my research on the Radioligist’s report I have serious problems from C-3-7. The C/6-7 effects your left shoulder, arm, hand. My Neurologist told me back in May I had 1-1 1/2 years to get surgery before it effects my brain. You can also become paralyzed if condition worsens. Such happy thoughts... thanks Nancy

Comment

--Linda
                          Did your doctor tell you to do strength baring exercises? Dr G told me I had to (2017). I have found a doctor (physiology/rehab/ interventional pain Mgt which I requested my primary care to make referral. Nancy

Comment

Did your doctor tell you to do strength baring exercises? Dr G told me I had to (2017). I have found a doctor (physiology/rehab/ interventional pain Mgt which I requested my primary care to make referral. Nancy
                            No. I'm not even sure what strength baring is.

I think it's a good idea to see the pain management doc. S/he almost certainly will want to try injections. They're not helpful for everyone, but when they are, they can be miraculous.

Comment

No. I'm not even sure what strength baring is.

I think it's a good idea to see the pain management doc. S/he almost certainly will want to try injections. They're not helpful for everyone, but when they are, they can be miraculous.
                              The exercises are meant to build up strength (legs, arms, core)- use of stretch bands, balls, hand weights, basic gym equipment but baby steps-I always let PR know if I am able to do the exercise or not. Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X