Happy 10th Anniversary To Me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 10th Anniversary To Me!!!

I have been away from the Forum for a long time - which is probably the usual story for people who have their surgery, recover, and get on with daily life. I may have drifted away, but I've never stopped being grateful for this place.
    Ten years ago today, I was fused from T-3 to L-3, at the age of 48. My thoracic curve was 86* (no idea what it is now). Dr. Tribus (UW - Madison) was my surgeon. My post-op course was pretty uneventful, other than a hemethorax - and a couple days with a chest tube (at about 1 month post-op) took care of that, in short order.
    About a year post-op, I began to feel more uncomfortable. Dr. Tribus suspected a possible non-union. He removed all instrumentation (at least then, this was how he handled checking for a non-union - remove hardware, wait 6 months and do a CT. If the spine looks as smooth as a sheet of ice, you're fused). That first month was ok, but then my pain increased to a daily 9/10 (even with the crazy amount of narcotics that I needed to just barely make it through a sedentary day). Sooo...less than 4 months from the removal surgery, I was back in the OR. Three levels had not fused, and one vertebrae was moving about so freely that my pain level was explained. Dr. Tribus fused those levels. The first 2 weeks were rough, and then...I was pain-free. Seriously! I took what would be my last dose of oxycodone, in the night. When I woke up in the morning, I was fine. From early December until the end of February, I had required daily, around-the-clock Oxycodone, Oxycotin, and a muscle relaxer. I know that wisdom would have had me wean off these medications under a doctor's supervision...but I didn't. I kept "not taking any, at all" because I kept feeling fine. No withdrawals, at all, ever. Everyone else, don't do what I did - be smart.
    Through all of this, there was NEVER even a second that I regretted, nor questioned, having spinal fusion surgery.
    The absolute, NUMBER ONE thing that helped me pre-op AND post-op...every step of the way...is THIS FORUM. Thank you, Linda!

My life now: I'm fine. The sensations in my back, which began with my first fusion surgery have become my "normal", but I only notice them when I am tired. I notice them, but they don't bother me. I have taken several longer road trips, many domestic flights, and a few flights to/from Europe, with no problem at all. I suspect that I may need further surgery down the line, but until actual pain kicks in, why bother? My days are good!!!

Before I started typing this, I looked at some of my old posts. A trip down memory lane. Being here feels like a trip home.
    Good luck to everyone!!!
    Last edited by mgs; 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

So nice to hear that even with some problems you are doing well. Happy 10th anniversary
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Glad to hear you're doing well. Hope you never need more surgery.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Its been a long time....I had to look back at some of the old posts, its nice when some of the old members stop by....

Congratulations on 10 years!

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Congrats on 10 years! So glad to hear things are going well.
          Billy
          32 year old male from UK
          Fused at 25yrs
          62 degree thoratic curve
          45 degree lumbar curve
          Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

Happy 10th Anniversary! My 9th will be in January. This forum was so important to me before and after surgery. I feel guilty that I look at Facebook every night instead of the forum. I truly appreciate all who took the time to answer my questions and concerns.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
            X