Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification?

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
    I have always preferred to shower and wash my hair at the same time with the overhead stream of water.

Since my surgery I have had to change things. By trial and error you work out a routine.

I couldn't stand for long, too weak and had poor balance. So I got a portable chair for the shower. And I couldn't reach my feet so I got a basin to fill with liquid body wash and soak them in. When my chair is close enough I can (barely) reach the lower faucets to turn them on and adjust the temperature.

I, too, have a hand held shower head. It has a hose which is attached to the overhead built-in shower head. I sit and soak my feet and soap as much of my body as I can reach, then rinse with the shower head in my hand.

Then I overturn the basin with my feet, grab the basin, stand up (using a grab bar on the side of the tub), place the basin on the seat, kick the seat back a bit with one foot to get it out of the way, and I have room to finish up with a conventional shower (I have hooked the shower head above me by now). I stand and reach those places I couldn't reach while seated, but I'm not standing for long.

I drop soap and sponges all the time, so I have extras around the tub. They are conveniently located on wall mounts.

In the beginning I needed help in the shower because I was weak and clumsy. You should have help at first, too. Even today when I don't need somebody by my side to help me shower I feel better that someone is in the house.

It might be worth it to have a plumber alter your bathroom, or just somebody handy that you know. It doesn't necessarily require drilling into porcelain fixtures or wall tiles for these adjustments.
    Thanks for the details!
    I have just a basic bathroom tub/shower w/ tile; Is the basin like a rectangular, tubber ware container? I was also thinking about installing handles on wall of bathtub- Since dr wants me to stay min. of 2 weeks on-campus rehab I am guessing I'll be able to shower upon return home - Plan to use dry shampoo but use it now & HAVE to wash hair 1x week at least. Still concerned about reaching out to the faucet since you can't bend? Also, from book I read re: this surgery, you won't be able to pull clothing items like sweaters over your head- is this so? what about bras? Front hook only I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Tina, Every once in a while they will tingle and I am going to wait on the neck. I probably will never have my neck done unless it gets intense. My surgeon and I talked about a 2 level ACDF. From the front only.

I also get the strange electrical zaps in my legs every once in a blue moon....Its no biggie.

I did score some Diclofenac in Colombia, 100Mg 16 capsules, $3.50 US I use this for my neck if it flares up. This is cheap.

Fax? That's incredible. I threw mine out around 20 years ago.

Ed
      Why not have your neck done? What are some reasons? You can't turn your head, then, right? Driving will be difficult among other things.

As for the zaps, I can see that there are some things that will never get totally better with some patients. I feel weird sensations in my back and they have been unchanged after 5 months. I think I might have to live with them.
      Last edited by Tina_R; 11-05-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
        Thanks for the details!
        I have just a basic bathroom tub/shower w/ tile; Is the basin like a rectangular, tubber ware container? I was also thinking about installing handles on wall of bathtub- Since dr wants me to stay min. of 2 weeks on-campus rehab I am guessing I'll be able to shower upon return home - Plan to use dry shampoo but use it now & HAVE to wash hair 1x week at least. Still concerned about reaching out to the faucet since you can't bend? Also, from book I read re: this surgery, you won't be able to pull clothing items like sweaters over your head- is this so? what about bras? Front hook only I assume?
        Yes, it's a rectangular basin, maybe 14" by 12". Material like tupperware. I'm glad to hear you will be in rehab for two weeks. They will show you how to do things and it will prepare you for when you get home.

Handle(s) on wall are great, and for when you are seated a handle that clamps to the side of the tub is a good idea.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/McKesson-...iABEgKps_D_BwE

I have never tried dry shampoo, is it a foam that comes in a canister?

It's funny, I remember not being to pull slip-on shirts over my head those first few days (or was it weeks?) and I used button-front shirts. But I don't remember having any trouble with a back-hooking bra. That doesn't make much sense - front-hook is probably best.
        Last edited by Tina_R; 11-05-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Why not have your neck done? What are some reasons? You can't turn your head, then, right? Driving will be difficult among other things.

As for the zaps, I can see that there are some things that will never get totally better with some patients. I feel weird sensations in my back and they have been unchanged after 5 months. I think I might have to live with them.
          I guess you could start with surgery being the last ditch effort. There is no rushing into what we do as adult scoliosis patients....Funny how I waited 34 years for my surgeries, and with the neck its the same thing, another long wait. I can hang.

Most of your head turning ability happens up high in the neck. The Atlas and the Axis. C1 and C2. Right below the skull. There are several patients fused up high here and they can turn their heads. You lose a little bit of mobility, its not a Tin Man situation.

Use your mirrors when you drive and do slow lane changes. This is the way you drive an RV or a bus. No fast moves and use blinkers. You never look back driving an RV.

There will be strange sensations....Its a rare thing when one of us comes out perfect, its always going to be something. Many of us have the bear traps in the thoracic, that the gripping sensation in the 5" wide surgical zone. Gripping doesn't hurt, but hold it all day long and its really tiring. Laying down solves that problem.

I never had any problems in the shower or on the toilet. None at all. The chair is a good idea....I also never use my sink because that involves bending. Everything gets done in the shower. Full fusion is a vertical existence. Its perfect posture. People comment to me on it, there is no slouching, its impossible.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I guess you could start with surgery being the last ditch effort. There is no rushing into what we do as adult scoliosis patients....Funny how I waited 34 years for my surgeries, and with the neck its the same thing, another long wait. I can hang.

Most of your head turning ability happens up high in the neck. The Atlas and the Axis. C1 and C2. Right below the skull. There are several patients fused up high here and they can turn their heads. You lose a little bit of mobility, its not a Tin Man situation.

Use your mirrors when you drive and do slow lane changes. This is the way you drive an RV or a bus. No fast moves and use blinkers. You never look back driving an RV.

There will be strange sensations....Its a rare thing when one of us comes out perfect, its always going to be something. Many of us have the bear traps in the thoracic, that the gripping sensation in the 5" wide surgical zone. Gripping doesn't hurt, but hold it all day long and its really tiring. Laying down solves that problem.

I never had any problems in the shower or on the toilet. None at all. The chair is a good idea....I also never use my sink because that involves bending. Everything gets done in the shower. Full fusion is a vertical existence. Its perfect posture. People comment to me on it, there is no slouching, its impossible.

Ed
            I always thought there were inevitable blind spots when you use mirrors driving. Not if you position the mirrors properly?

Can you put socks on without a sock aid with a full fusion? Can you tie your shoes or are all your shoes slip-on? Can you do sit-ups?

Comment

I always thought there were inevitable blind spots when you use mirrors driving. Not if you position the mirrors properly?

Can you put socks on without a sock aid with a full fusion? Can you tie your shoes or are all your shoes slip-on? Can you do sit-ups?
              Probably so, depends on the vehicle. My neighbor crashed her Prius on a regular basis, (every 3 months) and yes the insurance company dropped her after 25 years. She changed vehicles and has not crashed in the last 10 years.

I do not have problems with socks or shoes. I have photos here on this forum someplace, I am currently overseas using my laptop and do not have these photos. I tie my own shoelaces on the floor. Its a long reach and position has to be exact.

For immediate surgical recovery, get some open backed shoes. I used mine for around a year.

Yes, I can sit up. Its not an easy sort of thing, and usually I do it quickly with a deliberate thrust.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Probably so, depends on the vehicle. My neighbor crashed her Prius on a regular basis, (every 3 months) and yes the insurance company dropped her after 25 years. She changed vehicles and has not crashed in the last 10 years.

I do not have problems with socks or shoes. I have photos here on this forum someplace, I am currently overseas using my laptop and do not have these photos. I tie my own shoelaces on the floor. Its a long reach and position has to be exact.

For immediate surgical recovery, get some open backed shoes. I used mine for around a year.

Yes, I can sit up. Its not an easy sort of thing, and usually I do it quickly with a deliberate thrust.

Ed
                Linda Racine said when I queried her that she has trouble with tie shoes, especially keeping the tongue where it belongs when putting one on. I believe she doesn't bother with them. It's different for everyone, I guess.

I have lots of open backed shoes but I don't think they are the best thing right after surgical recovery unless your feet are really stable in them. It's easy to inadvertently slip out of them. Open toed, open backed shoes that slap your feet as you walk are a hazard. I fell going upstairs when the edge of the stair got caught between my toes and the footbed. I landed on my knees, so I didn't fall far and didn't twist my back, fortunately.

I have this idea that a fused spine will come apart if you do something like sit-ups, but that's just me and my irrational fears, isn't it?

Comment

Linda Racine said when I queried her that she has trouble with tie shoes, especially keeping the tongue where it belongs when putting one on. I believe she doesn't bother with them. It's different for everyone, I guess.

I have lots of open backed shoes but I don't think they are the best thing right after surgical recovery unless your feet are really stable in them. It's easy to inadvertently slip out of them. Open toed, open backed shoes that slap your feet as you walk are a hazard. I fell going upstairs when the edge of the stair got caught between my toes and the footbed. I landed on my knees, so I didn't fall far and didn't twist my back, fortunately.

I have this idea that a fused spine will come apart if you do something like sit-ups, but that's just me and my irrational fears, isn't it?
                  Yup, don’t do that (sit-ups).

Slip in shoes would be a disaster for me. I can’t keep my feet in them, in the best of times.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Yup, don’t do that (sit-ups).
                    So you shouldn't do sit-ups even after you've reached full recovery from full spinal fusion?

Comment

So you shouldn't do sit-ups even after you've reached full recovery from full spinal fusion?
                      You should ask your surgeon. If you're at least 6 months postop and your fusion is solid, it's unlikely that sit-ups will cause any implant issues. But, it seems to me that you might cause soft tissue injury.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes, it's a rectangular basin, maybe 14" by 12". Material like tupperware. I'm glad to hear you will be in rehab for two weeks. They will show you how to do things and it will prepare you for when you get home.

Handle(s) on wall are great, and for when you are seated a handle that clamps to the side of the tub is a good idea.

[URL="https://www.walmart.com/ip/McKesson-White-Steel-Bathtub-Mount-Bathtub-Grab-Bar-14-5-Inch"]https://www.walmart.com/ip/McKesson-White-Steel-Bathtub-Mount-Bathtub-Grab-Bar-14-5-Inch

I have never tried dry shampoo, is it a foam that comes in a canister?

It's funny, I remember not being to pull slip-on shirts over my head those first few days (or was it weeks?) and I used button-front shirts. But I don't remember having any trouble with a back-hooking bra. That doesn't make much sense - front-hook is probably best.
                        Thanks for info- Ithey have various dry shampoo- I use Dove- it’s a dry spray that you spray on the roots of hair (I section my hair 1st spray & work it in- stay away from the foam ones - they are like a foam volumizer that makes your hair wet (defeats the purpose) - Guess I ‘m trying to get my act together before I am discharged & find out I have multiple items to buy.

Comment

Shoes

I live in comfort shoes depends on size, etc but I wear 8 1/2 & like Jambu - tried Sketchers but they were 2 small. www.hammacher.com has pair of house shoes that provides the back support I/we need (item #TT-95442 (I will be purchasing soon). Still have some high heels I just can’t get rid of knowing I’ll never wear them (sad)

Comment

Full fusion vs not?

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                            Hi Tina...

It's a valid concern. I'm guessing if Nancy's problem could be resolved less invasively, Dr. Gupta would hopefully mention it. With that said, I think it's always a good idea to investigate the most minimal solution. Dr. Berven at UCSF has been investigating this issue for many years. Prior to my retirement, we had 15-20 adult scoliosis patients who were qualified for a full scoliosis fusion, but who opted for a smaller surgery. They had an average of 2-3 levels done (usually L4-S1 or L5-S1). I think there were 3 who ended up needing more surgery. The remainder were doing well. Those who did well may all need more surgery in the future, but as far as I know, there's no indication at this point, that they'll have more trouble.

When I had my original scoliosis surgery in 1992, I was offered the option of fusing only my lumbar curve vs. fusing both curves. At that time, I was pretty certain that I wouldn't want two surgeries if the thoracic curve became a problem, so opted for the bigger surgery. I would absolutely make a different decision today.

I doubt that a neurosurgeon would be more conservative. In my experience, neurosurgeons don't turn patients away.

--Linda
                            Don't know how old you were esp in 1998 but given I'm 63 I think it would be wise to go forward w/ full fusion as I do not want to be facing another surgery at age 66 +? Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
                              Don't know how old you were esp in 1998 but given I'm 63 I think it would be wise to go forward w/ full fusion as I do not want to be facing another surgery at age 66 +? Nancy
                              You're the only one who knows how much pain you have and who can therefore make the decision to have surgery. I always tell people to think of whether they can live with their current pain/dysfunction, and what it might be like if, after the initial recovery period, you find you have more or different pain, or if you have less function. That happens sometimes. Make sure you've tried everything you can, to reduce or eliminate your current level of pain.

--Linda

Comment

Cooking food and doing housework after surgery

I described my shower routine in detail. Let me now talk about cooking and housework. For me, after fusion surgery, it is impossible to do normal cooking without help. So many things I can't do on my own yet with a 5-pound lifting limit. I used to love my heavy stoneware dishes, now they are my enemy. Meat pans are on a low level shelf and I am not allowed to bend down. The oven door is too low and too heavy, likewise the freezer door (mine is on the bottom, actually a massive drawer you pull out.) A pot full of pasta and water is too heavy, I can't drain it. I can't load the bottom shelf of the dishwasher, it is too low.

I can slide a chair over and sometimes open the freezer door from a sitting position when I really need to, but I can't search it to the bottom because that requires bending. Moving a chair up to the oven does not help, I can't reach across the open door to insert or remove pans, it will compromise my back. Can't get to it from the side, either.

The microwave is one of the few things I can handle on my own. For the rest I am lucky to have help.

I would say have meals prepared in advance the first few days if possible. Use the microwave a lot. Use paper plates so you don't have to put plates on the lower level of the dishwasher. Get help from anyone you can.

As for housework? Forget it. There's very little housework you can do. I'm too weak to clean the top of my flat top stove right now, scraping and scouring the burnt stuff hurts my back - that's another problem with cooking. Impossible to lift the mattress to change the sheets. Laundry is difficult because of the angle of the doors on my front load washer and dryer, wet clothes weigh a ton, and you have to bend down to get them or pick them out one by one with a grabber tool.

The only housework I can do is clean counters with Lysol and light, limited sweeping. And maybe wash a few dishes by hand.

I just want you to be ready for this, Nancy. It's good to know what to expect.
                                Last edited by Tina_R; 11-27-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X