No announcement yet.

1st Scoliosis Surgery at age 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have come close to trees for sure.....and yes I do miss it. I get invites all the time and have to say no because of my neck, not my back. It hasnt been easy. All my ski partners are way younger than me, and I tell them I am now 61 (today), and the age process really sucks. The last 5 years have been hard. Like I said, you have to be in tip top shape to ski pow like that. Just doing a heli out of 3 feet of powder off a pillow takes a fair amount of strength and acute balance. I learned to do heli's when I was 9.

We see the dolphins in front of the dive boats but usually they stay away from divers. We hear them quite a bit clicking, but dont usually see them underwater much.

I have done several night manta dives in Kona off of the airport. They set up lights to attract food, krill etc, and they circle above the lights feeding. They are like big dogs with big brains. I have video of one missing my head by an inch. They know exactly where you are underwater. They dont want you touching them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuwO29zVkA

Go through those links and also google blood tests for surgery. Some diseases do not show up in blood work, ALS is one of them. They look at your white blood cells for infection and red for clotting etc.

The material is complicated. I have looked at the mid term USMLE tests that my Goddaughter took online years ago, and you can forget trying to figure anything out unless your a biochemist.

I always went in to my surgeries clean. Talk to Dr G about this. If you can terminate a few days prior and go through a 5 day hell, will that help? I dont know if you can walk in in a withdrawl state??? This is a good question.

My neck is recovering.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Travel for Blood Work

Nancy, I can't find the post, but somewhere you asked if you had to travel to your doctor's location, St. Louis, to have blood work done for him in advance of the surgery.

Is that really necessary? Can't that be done locally with the results sent to the surgeon?
      Last edited by Tina_R; 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Happy Birthday Ed. I hope it is great. When will you be returning to the U.S.?
        It is really difficult to give up things you like to so. I am sure even with your close calls , there isn't anything like the things that bring us joy and happiness.
        I love to fly, and haven't been able to lately. Today I was on the expressway by the major Chicago airport and watching the jets come in to land was incredible. ( my flying fix)
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

Happy Birthday!!!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          I have come close to trees for sure.....and yes I do miss it. I get invites all the time and have to say no because of my neck, not my back. It hasnt been easy. All my ski partners are way younger than me, and I tell them I am now 61 (today), and the age process really sucks. The last 5 years have been hard. Like I said, you have to be in tip top shape to ski pow like that. Just doing a heli out of 3 feet of powder off a pillow takes a fair amount of strength and acute balance. I learned to do heli's when I was 9.

We see the dolphins in front of the dive boats but usually they stay away from divers. We hear them quite a bit clicking, but dont usually see them underwater much.

I have done several night manta dives in Kona off of the airport. They set up lights to attract food, krill etc, and they circle above the lights feeding. They are like big dogs with big brains. I have video of one missing my head by an inch. They know exactly where you are underwater. They dont want you touching them.

Go through those links and also google blood tests for surgery. Some diseases do not show up in blood work, ALS is one of them. They look at your white blood cells for infection and red for clotting etc.

The material is complicated. I have looked at the mid term USMLE tests that my Goddaughter took online years ago, and you can forget trying to figure anything out unless your a biochemist.

I always went in to my surgeries clean. Talk to Dr G about this. If you can terminate a few days prior and go through a 5 day hell, will that help? I dont know if you can walk in in a withdrawl state??? This is a good question.

My neck is recovering.

Ed
          Thanks for the info-you know I almost started off my thread w/ “you have to be a Sagittarius..” because you’re so athletic & like to travel (long distances), etc. Yes I’m an Astrologer - now be nice (smile)- I use to have paying customers until pain stole my life. Hope you’re enjoying your holiday. Nancy

Comment

Forgot

Ed It’s known that dolphins esp the wild 1s have an energy that benefits autism & children w/ development delays- I looked into the possibility a couple of months ago to go to Kona (before surgery) but apparently they don’t show up in the “colder” times in Hawaii. I spent 2 weeks at 4 of the Hawaiian islands in my late 30s. It was 2/14 & in the 60s - everyone was talking about how cold it was (laugh). Do you think after fusion recovery one can learn to swim & snorkel w/o damaging yourself?

Comment

Good Question

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
              Nancy, I can't find the post, but somewhere you asked if you had to travel to your doctor's location, St. Louis, to have blood work done for him in advance of the surgery.

Is that really necessary? Can't that be done locally with the results sent to the surgeon?
              Yes I posted about this. From what I read about it appears that you have to get lab work, etc at least 1 day prior to surgery? So don’t know if that can be arranged where I live or at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis. I am assuming it’s the dr’s call. Just trying to find out the most I can. I tend to do better when I have a general idea of what to expect.

Comment

Titrating

My neck is recovering.

Ed
                Since I have tried 4x to titration off muscle relaxer w/o success, am now titrating off 1 of insomnia meds - I’m well aware that the anesthesiologist will have concerns regarding muscle relaxer (which is only way I get ANY sleep) & 2 insomnia meds (which don’t help at all). But I just can’t go w/o any sleep- have doctor appts, go to pool 3x week & have to take care of dog & life in general. There are serious withdrawal problems with Zanaflex. So just can’t stop taking it have to titrate. Really sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
                  Yes I posted about this. From what I read about it appears that you have to get lab work, etc at least 1 day prior to surgery? So don’t know if that can be arranged where I live or at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis. I am assuming it’s the dr’s call. Just trying to find out the most I can. I tend to do better when I have a general idea of what to expect.
                  At least one day? And at most how many days? Find out what the blood work is for. That will help decide where and when to have it done. The surgeon's office should be on top of things like this and be able to advise you.

If the blood work might result in the surgery being put off for some reason, you don't want to travel to St. Louis for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scared View Post
                    Do you think after fusion recovery one can learn to swim & snorkel w/o damaging yourself?
                    Once your surgeon approves it, you should be able to do just about anything, as long as it doesn't cause pain. We had a patient at UCSF who was snow skiing 8 weeks after surgery. Swimming and snorkeling, as long as it's not done in heavy surf, would probably be approved within a month of surgery, but you should definitely check with your own surgeon. Because I was able to get in to have an incision check, I was approved for swimming within 2 weeks of surgery.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      Once your surgeon approves it, you should be able to do just about anything, as long as it doesn't cause pain. We had a patient at UCSF who was snow skiing 8 weeks after surgery. Swimming and snorkeling, as long as it's not done in heavy surf, would probably be approved within a month of surgery, but you should definitely check with your own surgeon. Because I was able to get in to have an incision check, I was approved for swimming within 2 weeks of surgery.
                      Are you kidding? I'm finding these quick recovery stories hard to believe. This isn't my experience at all. After 6 months I am not close to resuming normal activities. I still can't lift much, can't bend down or twist. It hurts to do these things, my body is saying Don't do it. How can you do swimming strokes if you can't twist your body? Doesn't swimming require use of the back muscles like almost every other activity? Two weeks, are you kidding me? The wound isn't even safely healed then, is it? This is major surgery.

I do hear more talk of resuming things like sports from younger people who have had the surgery. Reddit has a scoliosis forum and their users are mostly young. Maybe it's heavily influenced by age?

Sorry if I sound so negative and doubtful. But ..are you kidding??
                      Last edited by Tina_R; 12-12-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
                        Are you kidding? I'm finding these quick recovery stories hard to believe. This isn't my experience at all. After 6 months I am not close to resuming normal activities. I still can't lift much, can't bend down or twist. It hurts to do these things, my body is saying Don't do it. How can you do swimming strokes if you can't twist your body? Doesn't swimming require use of the back muscles like almost every other activity? Two weeks, are you kidding me? The wound isn't even safely healed then, is it? This is major surgery.

I do hear more talk of resuming things like sports from younger people who have had the surgery. Reddit has a scoliosis forum and their users are mostly young. Maybe it's heavily influenced by age?

Sorry if I sound so negative and doubtful. But ..are you kidding??
                        Nope, not kidding. My wound was examined closely and seemed to be sealed. Since I didn't have any wound complications, it seems to have been fine in my case.

When I swam, I mostly did a calm breast stroke and a side stroke. I was definitely not aggressively swimming. The pool I swam in was a warm water pool, and it felt absolutely incredible to get in the water.

We all heal at different rates. It's hard to know why some recover so quickly while others take a lot longer. I've known quite a few adults who got off all pain medication within a few weeks of surgery. My recovery after my revision surgeries was much quicker than my primary surgeries. There are probably a lot of reasons for that difference, but I'm fairly certain that one of the factors that I was pretty sedate (at my surgeon's instruction) after my primary surgeries, and got active much faster after my revision.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Nope, not kidding. My wound was examined closely and seemed to be sealed. Since I didn't have any wound complications, it seems to have been fine in my case.

When I swam, I mostly did a calm breast stroke and a side stroke. I was definitely not aggressively swimming. The pool I swam in was a warm water pool, and it felt absolutely incredible to get in the water.

We all heal at different rates. It's hard to know why some recover so quickly while others take a lot longer. I've known quite a few adults who got off all pain medication within a few weeks of surgery. My recovery after my revision surgeries was much quicker than my primary surgeries. There are probably a lot of reasons for that difference, but I'm fairly certain that one of the factors that I was pretty sedate (at my surgeon's instruction) after my primary surgeries, and got active much faster after my revision.

--Linda
                          But even non-aggressive swimming requires use of the back muscles. That didn't hurt? Did you have a 5 pound lifting limit?

Yes. everyone heals differently. I think you were 10 years younger than me when you had your surgeries, but that doesn't sound like that much of a difference. I'm jealous.

I do think activity is good and I want to be more active, but so far it's just walking. A lot of walking is my goal. And sometimes just flexing of muscles in arms and legs without involving the back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
                            But even non-aggressive swimming requires use of the back muscles. That didn't hurt? Did you have a 5 pound lifting limit?

Yes. everyone heals differently. I think you were 10 years younger than me when you had your surgeries, but that doesn't sound like that much of a difference. I'm jealous.

I do think activity is good and I want to be more active, but so far it's just walking. A lot of walking is my goal. And sometimes just flexing of muscles in arms and legs without involving the back.
                            I had a 5 pound limit, but only for a few months I think. With newer implants, it actually takes a significant amount of pull to cause any issues. I think everything is relative now. A little bending isn't going to hurt you, but trying to touch your toes for the first 3 months or so is probably foolish. Lifting 10-15 pounds isn't likely to cause too much harm, but 50 pounds is probably ill advised.

Swimming definitely was not painful. The warm water relaxed all the back muscles and it truly felt heavenly.

I was 43 when I had my first surgeries, and 62 when I had my second surgeries.

--Linda

Comment

• Originally posted by Scared View Post
                              Since I have tried 4x to titration off muscle relaxer w/o success, am now titrating off 1 of insomnia meds - I’m well aware that the anesthesiologist will have concerns regarding muscle relaxer (which is only way I get ANY sleep) & 2 insomnia meds (which don’t help at all). But I just can’t go w/o any sleep- have doctor appts, go to pool 3x week & have to take care of dog & life in general. There are serious withdrawal problems with Zanaflex. So just can’t stop taking it have to titrate. Really sucks
                              Nancy, I would communicate with them to find out what they want, and what you have to do instead of going in and hitting a road block. Its really hard to sleep in pain, and lack of sleep is no good. I myself have had some minor issues with sleeping, but this all seems to be in relation to my diet and what I eat and when. Cheeze in the evening is a total disaster without a gall bladder, I have to drink copious amounts of water to deal with it. Perhaps a little baking soda if there is heartburn.

ALS patients take Zanaflex. I have never seen anyone posting about Zanaflex here which is strange, maybe a few Robaxin and Flexeril testimonials, I took Robaxin once and thought it was weak. With Orals there never is anything thats strong enough in my opinion.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Zanaflex/Tizanidine

Nancy, I would communicate with them to find out what they want, and what you have to do instead of going in and hitting a road block. Its really hard to sleep in pain, and lack of sleep is no good. I myself have had some minor issues with sleeping, but this all seems to be in relation to my diet and what I eat and when. Cheeze in the evening is a total disaster without a gall bladder, I have to drink copious amounts of water to deal with it. Perhaps a little baking soda if there is heartburn.

ALS patients take Zanaflex. I have never seen anyone posting about Zanaflex here which is strange, maybe a few Robaxin and Flexeril testimonials, I took Robaxin once and thought it was weak. With Orals there never is anything thats strong enough in my opinion.

Ed
                                Presently my concern w/ trying to do a major decrease of Zanaflex is serious side effects. Just google patient reviews on it. FINALLY found 1medical article about this Med & researcher only found 2 patients who experienced problems. Guess I’m 1 of the few. I am hoping Dr G will be willing to go ahead & discuss the surgeries w/ me on my return appt instead of requiring me to make another long trip & thus delaying both surgeries. Really can’t take the pain any longer. I will be titrating off 2nd insomnia Med beginning 1/1. So I hope he’ll proceed. It’s also a financial problem for me (all the required trips). Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X