Thread: Trying to figure out tight sacral pain

Trying to figure out tight sacral pain

I am fused T1 to sacrum with pelvic fixation x 6 years ago with a few revisions. Of recent, especially after a lot of walking [I use crutches as I am a partial paraplegic.....long story], my sacral area has a progressive tight sensation which is especially painful to the point of tears. It seems to me that when I walk, my hips/butt "swish" back and forth for lack of a better description, kind of like the lumbar area and the sacrum are not solidly attached. So, all of you that have pelvic fixation, do your hips swing back and forth when you walk or does everything seem like it follows the same motion? Anyone know what I am talking about?
    Thanks
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw

Susan, There are times when I get really tight, but only after "sitting" in the same position for long periods of time....(Lack of movement) This morning getting out of bed, I had the gait of a bulldozer on big rocks (stiff pelvis with the exaggerated swinging or rotation of hips) for a few minutes. It almost seemed like it was caused by the hips....put it this way, its not smooth. Many times I will get up from sitting in my office chair and have to support myself with my arms on furniture. (desk, filing cabinet, credenza) for a few to make sure its all good before I continue out of the room. Once I am up and going for a bit, I am good to go. I don't know what is adjusting during this period? I am assuming its the nervous system.

My gait will change depending on pain, or muscle stiffness. Getting out of a car after a long drive I will be like this. It happened today after a 30 minute drive.

I don't think they really know what is happening with our soft tissues....especially after the effects of surgery or multiple spine surgeries. You know about the stripping, and possible metalosis related blackening from the rods after many years. You see this on revision photos...I would imagine that the only way they know this is by going back in on a revision. (smug face) Tightness, scar tissue related tightness, I have found seems to happen a lot with weather, or atmospheric pressure changes dropping. I am not looking forward to this winter.

Every day can present new challenges and new (Adult or Senior) pains are always scary. Overexercise is defined by each persons individual status, and it seems logical to believe that its gets set by pain signals. It is interesting having to go through all of this as scoliosis patients. The lucky ones get to resolve these issues by doing easy or easier remedies such as laying down etc. I hope you can resolve this issue easily.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 60, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

I'm fused T2 to sacrum plus my left SI joint is fused but I have no movement in that area.

However, I am suffering still and am currently considering the pros and cons of having my right SI joint fused and my loose pelvic bolt removed which my surgeon said he will do at the same time. However, he is unable to say whether i will get any relief from the surgery so it will be experimental from his point of view.......
    Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
    2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
    2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Hi Susan, I'm not sure but I know women in general seem to waddle when we walk. I think it comes from the fact our hips are wider to accommodate child birth. After having those sweet babies we get to blame them for our changes the rest of their lives.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16