Baylor Drs.- any input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baylor Drs.- any input?

I haven’t been on here much at all lately. Horrific disabling pain in multiple places now has sidelined me and totally zapped my will to do anything. I have seen and/or sent my records to no less than 9 drs since December of ‘18, and cannot find a dr to help me. At the end of my rope now! Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Richard Hostin? I tried to get in with Dr. Michael O’Brien
    but he has retired apparently. I know this forum is the place to go for answers... the experts
    are the patients! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Pamela Berry
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Iliac screw removal and postoperative pain is the same

Hi, I am 74 yr old who had t3-s1 surgery on 2/6/18. I have had excruciating pain on the right low back for 16 months. I had a diagnostic iliac screw injection in March 2019 and got relief in the injection area for a couple hours. I had removal of screw on May 30 with exploration of l5-s1 to see if I was fused. My surgeon said I was solidly fused at t3-s1. It is now 6 days since surgery to remove iliac screw and my pain is no better. I am so disappointed and stressed about this outcome that I can’t think about anything else. I have pain on right low back that is still at the t3-s1 level and glute, piriformis, and hip burning with pain at times moving down to the sit bones and low sacrum area. The pain is constantly moving among all those areas all through the day and I just try to manage it as best I can with pain pills, Tylenol, flexeril, ice. Can not resume my Celebrex for at least 6 weeks. My surgeon said the recovery for the screw removal would be about a week. Has anyone else gone through this kind of recovery from surgeries. I’m wondering if my pain could be si joint related. I feel like my pain is so much like Pam’s recovery and pain. This is my first time to reply to a thread so I hope I have replied correctly. Thank you

Comment

Baylor Doctors Update

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
      I haven’t been on here much at all lately. Horrific disabling pain in multiple places now has sidelined me and totally zapped my will to do anything. I have seen and/or sent my records to no less than 9 drs since December of ‘18, and cannot find a dr to help me. At the end of my rope now! Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Richard Hostin? I tried to get in with Dr. Michael O’Brien
      but he has retired apparently. I know this forum is the place to go for answers... the experts
      are the patients! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Pamela Berry
      Dr. Hostin is with Southwest Scoliosis Institute in Plano with two other physicians that were formerly with Baylor Scoliosis Center. I had follow up care only with Dr. Hostin as my surgeon there passed away. Dr. Hostin was fine, but I don’t know anything about the other two. There are three doctors now with Baylor Scoliosis Center and I don’t know anything about them, they must be new. I will say that recovery after surgery was awesome at Baylor Scott and White Plano and rehab at Baylor Scott and White Dallas. Not sure where recovery is for SW Scoliosis surgeries. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you JudyK

Thank you for your response JudyK. I’m glad that you had a smooth
        recovery. I’ve been in an endless search to find a dr that will do
        exploratory surgery as I am now convinced that is what it will take to
        locate this problem. In Jan if this year, my pain got 5 times worse, now
        I can feel something in the middle part of my spine, almost like a piece of hardware
        or bone spur, metalosis or something is definitely there yet every X-ray or CT
        SCAN, bone scan reads “ normal”. This is maddening! I cannot continue
        like this and it’s so very depressing that I cannot find a dr willing to dig
        deep enough, beyond a scan or X-ray, to actually find the problem. I
        will not live my life in bed at 55 yrs old, cannot drive myself to dr,
        do grocery shopping or basically even leave the house. It’s so depressing.

To the other person that responded about SI removal and pain. I’m so very
        Sorry that you did not get any relief from screw removal. Maybe you will given
        more time? Hopefully!
        Pam, age 49
        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Originally posted by Lougirl View Post
          Hi, I am 74 yr old who had t3-s1 surgery on 2/6/18. I have had excruciating pain on the right low back for 16 months. I had a diagnostic iliac screw injection in March 2019 and got relief in the injection area for a couple hours. I had removal of screw on May 30 with exploration of l5-s1 to see if I was fused. My surgeon said I was solidly fused at t3-s1. It is now 6 days since surgery to remove iliac screw and my pain is no better. I am so disappointed and stressed about this outcome that I can’t think about anything else. I have pain on right low back that is still at the t3-s1 level and glute, piriformis, and hip burning with pain at times moving down to the sit bones and low sacrum area. The pain is constantly moving among all those areas all through the day and I just try to manage it as best I can with pain pills, Tylenol, flexeril, ice. Can not resume my Celebrex for at least 6 weeks. My surgeon said the recovery for the screw removal would be about a week. Has anyone else gone through this kind of recovery from surgeries. I’m wondering if my pain could be si joint related. I feel like my pain is so much like Pam’s recovery and pain. This is my first time to reply to a thread so I hope I have replied correctly. Thank you
          Hi,

I just had both of my iliac screws removed, one week ago today. Yes, I also still have pain and am on the pain meds from the surgery. I am hoping once I wean off of them, which should be next week, that I will feel better. My surgeon told me that it would take a couple of weeks before I could tell a difference. Keeping my fingers crossed the he is correct. Wish I could give you more hope but I am in the same boat as you are in right now. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
            Thank you for your response JudyK. I’m glad that you had a smooth
            recovery. I’ve been in an endless search to find a dr that will do
            exploratory surgery as I am now convinced that is what it will take to
            locate this problem. In Jan if this year, my pain got 5 times worse, now
            I can feel something in the middle part of my spine, almost like a piece of hardware
            or bone spur, metalosis or something is definitely there yet every X-ray or CT
            SCAN, bone scan reads “ normal”. This is maddening! I cannot continue
            like this and it’s so very depressing that I cannot find a dr willing to dig
            deep enough, beyond a scan or X-ray, to actually find the problem. I
            will not live my life in bed at 55 yrs old, cannot drive myself to dr,
            do grocery shopping or basically even leave the house. It’s so depressing.

To the other person that responded about SI removal and pain. I’m so very
            Sorry that you did not get any relief from screw removal. Maybe you will given
            more time? Hopefully!
            Have you seen a physiatrist or Pain Management doc? Maybe she/he could help pinoint the problem with procedures?????

Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X