Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perihardware lucency

Greetings All!
    My 2013 fusion surgery by Dr. Keith Bridwell in St. Louis went well (T-3 to L-4). However, about 2 weeks ago I hurt myself trying to give myself a foot rub due to plantar faciitis. While sitting, I had put one foot on opposite knee in order to rub my foot (of course one foot at a time). Well, the next morning after doing this my left scapula area is on fire and feels like a knife is stabbing me! I called Bridwell's office and they suggested an x-ray. The x-ray report states that I have perihardware lucency (loosening). Bad news. I'm not quite certain where the "loosening" is, but it doesn't sound good. I've sent x-ray and report to Bridwell and am waiting on what he has to say. I live in Atlanta, but had my fusion in St. Louis by Bridwell because he had the best reputation and I know of two others in the Atlanta area that also made that trip for their spinal fusions. If Bridwell says that I need additional surgery I'm stuck. I can't afford to go to St. Louis again, and Bridwell no longer does surgeries. Sigh. I'M LOOKING FOR AN EXCELLENT SPINAL SURGEON IN THE ATLANTA AREA THAT FOCUSES ON SCOLIOSIS FUSION AND REVISIONS. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by betternow View Post
    Greetings All!
    My 2013 fusion surgery by Dr. Keith Bridwell in St. Louis went well (T-3 to L-4). However, about 2 weeks ago I hurt myself trying to give myself a foot rub due to plantar faciitis. While sitting, I had put one foot on opposite knee in order to rub my foot (of course one foot at a time). Well, the next morning after doing this my left scapula area is on fire and feels like a knife is stabbing me! I called Bridwell's office and they suggested an x-ray. The x-ray report states that I have perihardware lucency (loosening). Bad news. I'm not quite certain where the "loosening" is, but it doesn't sound good. I've sent x-ray and report to Bridwell and am waiting on what he has to say. I live in Atlanta, but had my fusion in St. Louis by Bridwell because he had the best reputation and I know of two others in the Atlanta area that also made that trip for their spinal fusions. If Bridwell says that I need additional surgery I'm stuck. I can't afford to go to St. Louis again, and Bridwell no longer does surgeries. Sigh. I'M LOOKING FOR AN EXCELLENT SPINAL SURGEON IN THE ATLANTA AREA THAT FOCUSES ON SCOLIOSIS FUSION AND REVISIONS. Any suggestions?
    Hi...

Lucency around screws is actually pretty common, and you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that you'll need more surgery. In most cases, the patient goes on to have a solid fusion. Does the radiology report state at what level(s) the lucency was observed?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

You see what happens when you do a foot rub! (smiley face)

I have had my share of foot pains and I usually do a hot Epsom salt soak in a small tub if this happens. Its amazing how this works. I always keep Epsom salt around the house...

I don't think you should worry much and would simply wait it out....

Pain relief is like calling the cows home, sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it can be stubborn. It could be the type of music one plays....(in our minds) We as scoliosis patients are a patient bunch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2raNqztPX0

Bovine groupies... Ha ha

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258