Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOOOO HOOOO, Finally....I've got a surgery date- It's going to be March 13, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with your upcoming spine surgery
    Kara
    Boston Brace 4.15.05 to 5.25.06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3.10.10
    T4-L2

Comment

You guys made my day, Thank you!

Wow, you guys really made my day. Made me laugh a little, or a lot... Made me think about the fact that it was hard, really hard for some of you but you made it out the other end with smiles and grace. And Ed.... that skiing clip was unreal. You are a very good skier. I grew up in California and we skied Mammoth Mtn. and June Mtn. as a kid. I didn't ski much as an adult.

I liked all the humor you showed your father. It's a lot different being a care giver and being the patient. I've always been the care giver so this is not going to be easy. I like things the way I like them and don't mind fixing them that way. It's going to be hard to just appreciate and accept things the way they're given. If I don't I may end up all alone with my dog. Heck, I won't be able to take him out so he'll be leaving too! In all actuality I'm pretty lucky. I have my husband and 2 wonderful daughters, my son-n-law and his wife, and a few friends that will be helping out.

I think what I'm most nervous about is that I have sleep apnea. I know the nurses are not going to want to give me pain meds if my breathing keeps stopping over and over. I'm going to talk to Dr. Hey's office and see if I can bring my c-pap machine. This is something I'm quite concerned about.

I know it will be hard, I'm just not sure how hard. I'm ready for change and can't go on like this. It's incredible that I can still walk. My MRI from last week showed a lot of degenerative changes and I'm lucky it isn't worse with all this collapsing. I put my car seat all the way up and still have to sit up as tall as I can. I feel like a little kid driving. I can't wait to get a few inches back.

Let me know your thoughts on the sleep apnea craziness. Your words mean more than I can tell you!

Have a great night~

Jenson
      Jenson

56 Years old and awaiting spinal correction surgery-

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
      T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Karagirly View Post
        Good luck with your upcoming spine surgery
        Thank you so much!!!

Jenson
        Jenson

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
        T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

Your welcome. The recovery process is tough during the days and weeks following surgery. As the recovery process you feel like a whole new preson. Because living for years with other scoliosis or kyphosis you can tell a huge difference.
          Kara
          T4-L2

Comment

Jenson, I would think that they would find out "REAL QUICK" if you stop breathing...... and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't bother with bringing your c-pap machine in, they have all the necessary equipment there at the hospital. Usually, the Anesthesiologist will come in and have a talk with you, right before you are wheeled in. They have a lot to do with breathing and know exactly what to do. My inspiratory effort was weak.....this is something that they watch like a hawk since anesthesia is powerful. I would inform Dr Hey about your sleep apnea c-pap history tomorrow. Our surgeons need our FULL medical history. All of it, even if you think it doesn't matter. Our descriptions of pain are also extremely important. EXACT description's and location. Numbness, burning, electrical, stabs, jolts, steady, dull, achy, twitching,cramping,dizzy, vertigo, throbbing, all over, pinpoint, 5 seconds, or forever....etc. It matters a lot, and they usually know what is going on right off the bat.

Thanks for the compliment on the skiing. That video was a stroll in the park and was easy peasy. I have fond memories of tearing up Mammoth back in the old days. Never skied June because Mammoth was right down the road. I will be headed down there in my RV around the beginning of May. Doing a big loop through the desolate regions of eastern Nevada, Area 51 with the aliens and government guys, multiple wildlife refuges, and possibly up to Sun Valley Idaho to tip a beer with the old man (Hemingway), and return through southern Oregon on this trip. Reading and reflection....and gourmet cooking. 5 star of course, in the middle of nowhere under the stars.
            I have had young campers in the past eating hot dogs just barely surviving, and the smells of 5 star cooking wafting through the trees attracts them like zombies. If they look like they are starving, well then, we are just going to have to do something about that! Heck, I even pack the Haagan Daz

Bad Kitty

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              I wouldn't bother with bringing your c-pap machine in, they have all the necessary equipment there at the hospital.
              I was instructed to bring my CPAP machine with me the last time I had surgery. Since I was supposed to be released on the day of surgery or, worst case scenario, the day after, I decided against bringing it. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days, and they had to supply a CPAP for me, as I was having oxygen issues. The machine they gave me was really, really uncomfortable. I would definitely recommend that you bring yours with you Jenson.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I would bet that each hospital has different rules since bringing in your own medical hardware presents a liability issue. There is no quality control, they also don't know if you dropped a device in the parking lot walking into the hospital....

My hospital must have had issues with theft, they essentially wanted me walking in naked (with a blank check, for the co-pay) Its sad that people steal things in hospital but I guess this stuff happens.

I think its important that the doctors know on the sleep apnea, cpap machine, especially the anethesiologist as meds do affect breathing.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  I was instructed to bring my CPAP machine with me the last time I had surgery. Since I was supposed to be released on the day of surgery or, worst case scenario, the day after, I decided against bringing it. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days, and they had to supply a CPAP for me, as I was having oxygen issues. The machine they gave me was really, really uncomfortable. I would definitely recommend that you bring yours with you Jenson.
                  Linda,

Did they still control your pain? I'm so afraid that they will be light on the pain medicine because of it. I don't want to be in excruciating pain. Pain, I expect to feel but I just don't want it to feel like Chinese torture.

Heck, I'm in so much pain everyday now that I'm soooo ready to get on that table and gooooooooooooooooo! Let's do it and be done. I'm ready for the recovery part. I have a positive attitude and I'm tenacious as all get out!

Talk soon,

Jenson
                  Jenson

Comment

Like like Linda and ed said every hospital is different with rules. I don’t have sleep apnea or breathing problems that require a capa. But I do have breathing problems that require a inhaler.
                    Kara
                    T4-L2

Comment

Originally posted by jborden View Post
                      Linda,

Did they still control your pain? I'm so afraid that they will be light on the pain medicine because of it. I don't want to be in excruciating pain. Pain, I expect to feel but I just don't want it to feel like Chinese torture.

Heck, I'm in so much pain everyday now that I'm soooo ready to get on that table and gooooooooooooooooo! Let's do it and be done. I'm ready for the recovery part. I have a positive attitude and I'm tenacious as all get out!

Talk soon,

Jenson
                      Hi Jenson...

For my last spine surgeries, I had little to no back pain after surgery. For my surgeries in 2010, they took me completely off all pain meds except Tylenol, about 2-3 days postop because of breathing issues. I did not have any back pain. Once I was up and moving around, I did have thigh pain from trochanteric bursitis.

Wish I knew why some people have very little postop pain and others have a lot. Hope you fall in the first category. Either way, you'll get through it, and hopefully things will be much better than they are now.

--Linda

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I wish you all the best with your surgery. Dr. Hey is a great guy as well as being an excellent surgeon.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                          I wish you all the best with your surgery. Dr. Hey is a great guy as well as being an excellent surgeon.

Melissa
                          Hi Melissa,

Thank you. Did Dr.Hey do your surgery?

Jenson
                          Jenson

Comment

I was moving from North Carolina to Southern California at the time of my first revision surgery. My wonderful Califonia surgeon wanted a second opinion and sent me to Dr. Hey. How I wish that I had my first surgery done with him instead of whom I chose.
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi, Jenson.

Good Luck on your upcoming surgery! I am coming up on my 3-year anniversary for my surgery - I was similar age as you - I was 55.

I will echo what others have said:

I preferred the chair like Linda said - and I STILL do. I am still very picky about what kind of chair or car I sit in. I still don't like my knees being higher that my hips when I sit. I don't like getting in and out of cars that sit low - I prefer being in an SUV, even if it is a small SUV. I drive an Escape.

Like Susan said - bras are over rated! I am fused from T11 - Sacrum and the hooks on my bra were RIGHT ON TOP OF the top of my incision. I didn't like that feeling and so I figured if I wasn't leaving the house I didn't need a bra. Sports bras were better since there's no hooks on the back.

My surgery was front and back - same day. I had the constipation issues and did all the things Ed mentioned. After a few days it worked but it was not fun for my husband who had to help me :-(

My husband was in my hospital room with me 24/7. I don't know how I would have been without him there. I have very little memory of the first 10 days after surgery. I have a few memories of being in the hospital and a few memories of the staff there. I know he was advocating for me and speaking for me when I was totally out of it. Apparently I had normal conversations, but I have no clue what I said, so clearly I wouldn't have been able to make a decision for myself. I was in the hospital for 3.5 days and then we went to a hotel for 4 days and I don't recall the hotel at all.....

The pain meds worked for me - I didn't have any real "Chinese torture" pain. It was less pain than I had before surgery, so I was very thankful for that! My pain was in my legs and hips. I think all the soft tissue was painful due to being pulled back into place. It was tolerable pain though.

I took lots of short walks. I rarely sat down - I didn't like sitting for at least a year. I would stand to eat (I actually always did that anyway!) and then I'd be flat on my back otherwise. If I was up too long, by low back would get really "tight" and I knew I better lay down.

After I was coherent, my days were basically: up for eating and bathroom, up to walk and maybe stretch my arms - otherwise I was laying down. I am an active person so boredom definitely set in. I read tons of books. One thing I didn't think of was laying flat on my back and holding a book up to read made my arms and shoulders hurt. So, I did audio books and I could lay however I wanted to.

I read all the advice from everyone on this forum before and after my surgery. I learned WAY MORE here than any doctor would have ever taken the time to explain. One thing I remember that, in the end, was so true: the first year of recovery you are 90% healed, the remaining 10% gets tweaked the 2nd year. It really did take 2 years before I felt "totally normal." (I will never really feel totally normal). But alot of soft tissue feels better that 2nd year.

I will be thinking of you.

Kathy
                              Decompression surgery L4/L5
                              April 3, 2015
                              Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                              Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                              June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                              Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                              Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                              After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                              2 inches taller

Comment

Only 2 more days......

Hi Y'all,

Thank you for all the kind words and advise. I agree, I have gotten a lot of information and confidence from your messages.

Looking at my latest x-rays blows my mind. How can I still be standing, breathing.... T4-11 57.5 degrees, T11-L3 is 84.6 degrees. Kyphosis is 67.3 degrees and Lordosis is 43.7 degrees. I don't recognize my body when I see these films. I'm only 5' 3/4" now and I used to be 5' 4 1/2". so my organs/ stomach are all crammed together. Looking forward to taking in a deep breath.

Ed, how many inches did you get back?

I will update you all as soon as possible.

Again, I can't tell you what a lifeline you have been. Only we truly understand all that this does to us....physically, mentally and emotionally.

Much Love,

Jenson
                                Jenson

Comment

Working...
                                X