I have a screw loose ha ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a screw loose ha ha

Hi, I have a loose pelvic screw which may need to come out....has anyone had this procedure done? If so, what was your experience? Is it straight forward?
    Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
    2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
    2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Hi...

I haven't had this procedure done, but know several people who have. With one exception (a person on this forum), everyone has described the procedure as pretty simple.

I'm assuming that the loose screw is causing pain. If it's not, there's no reason to remove it just because it's loose.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ah, ok. That's reassuring to know and yes, it is suspected the source of pain.
      Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
      2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi Spinals

I hope this is an easy thing to get done, you sure have been in a lot of pain.

Years ago in the 70's, we used to watch a lot of Benny Hill here in the states. I missed most of his shows in the 80's and just found this one from 1986.

Benny the healer....Ha ha
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zat9...SJITASSjmHepq1

Who needs a doctors release when you have Benny around....

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Benny Hill..... That brings back memories! I think he must have had a screw loose for sure!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Hi Spinals

I hope this is an easy thing to get done, you sure have been in a lot of pain.

Years ago in the 70's, we used to watch a lot of Benny Hill here in the states. I missed most of his shows in the 80's and just found this one from 1986.

Benny the healer....Ha ha
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zat9...SJITASSjmHepq1

Who needs a doctors release when you have Benny around....

Ed

Comment

He is playing a con artist, televangelist healer. We had a few of these on television over the years. Benny would poke fun, and would do comedy of the times. In this case, the 1986 era. At :41 the hand scene is classic! "Heel"....The intensity has to be magnified for the healing process (and collection of money) to be effective. Its hilarious the way he conveyed his message.

No, he didn't have a screw loose, he was battling his own depression on a genius level. His father was mean, and his exposure to WW2 pushed it too far.

Do anything you can to avoid stress and worry...this causes centralized pain and inflammation in our spinal cords.

Its amazing how when we de-stress ourselves, the pain reduces. I did many many hot soaks and massages through the years before my surgeries, and this de-stressing would get me completely out of pain. The thing is, this happened while having multiple disc herniation's, stenosis, and inflammation with a highly degenerative scoliosis. This proves that pain has to do with a lot more than our physical damage outside of our spinal cords. I don't know how massage plays a part in neurogenesis, regeneration of nervous system cells, (neurons) but this de-stressing has an effect on our spinal cords which is the pathway to pain.

I am also in pain these days. Everywhere except my spinal fusion. Been laying extremely low these days trying to stay in a stress free state. I am off to see an oral surgeon to see the progress of my mandible (jaw-bone) complications of late wisdom tooth extraction. I was losing bone in my jaw, and need to follow through.

Laughter helps with pain. Deep laughter.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, Robin Williams was unhappy too but you would never have known it as all we saw was a funny man on TV.

The only things which relieve my pain for awhile is a long soak in a red hot bath and a monthly massage.

Unfortunately I have a stressful accountant job and I know that the more stressed I am the more I suffer with pain.

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering....it seems never ending for scoliosis people!

Also, I sympathise with your tooth pain. I have just had issues with one of mine and it took quite a few weeks to get sorted. Fingers crossed mine is ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinals View Post
                Hi, I have a loose pelvic screw which may need to come out....has anyone had this procedure done? If so, what was your experience? Is it straight forward?
                I have had a lumbar screw tightened. It’s loose again. Doctor wants to fix it but told me it’s not an emergency and we can wait u til I just have to have it done.

Comment

Thank you for reply

Comment

Originally posted by Spinals View Post
                    Hi,

I had both of my iliac screws removed 8 weeks ago. The procedure itself was only 30 minutes, easy and easy recovery. I feel so much better since removing them. However, my body had to adjust and my SI joints were painful for a few weeks. I started PT and acupuncture and it really helped. So happy with my results.

Best of luck.
                    Lisa

Comment

Hi Lisa

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is encouraging to hear

Comment

How did u come to find out your pelvic screw is loose?
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi Rita, I have been having scans/xrays for ongoing pain which could be my SI joint or something else and this showed up the loose screw.

Comment

Working...
                          X