Hardware Removal Regret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Removal Regret

So I enjoyed 8 years of pain free bliss after my fusion surgery in 2010, then a rod broke... Due to pain I had all the hardware removed. Since my spine appeared fused I wasn’t too worried. However 4 weeks post surgery I’m still a mess. I have a distended abdomen and severe muscle spasms in my abdomen when moving from lying down to sitting up and standing. I can’t stay upright for long before my muscle pain is too much and I need to lie down again. Any movement involving abdominal muscles is very painful (even picking things up) Anyone out there have a similar problem? I’m worried I have nerve damage
    Pre-op thorasic curve of 50 degrees reduced to 18 degrees!! 8 years later Hardware removed...

Hi Asha...

Sorry to hear this.

Did you have abdominal surgery as part of the hardware removal? If not, your problem is probably a digestive issue. If you haven't seen your primary care doctor about it, I would recommend that you start there. Hope you get it figured out quickly.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Asha

Oh boy, I cant imagine full hardware removal being an easy procedure....

Like Linda mentioned, I would report this to your doctors. Muscle spasm is no fun. Try to hang in there, your so early right now.

You are one of the old members here from years ago, 8 years is a long time. I am wondering why all of your hardware was pulled? Did you have an infection?

I ask since I am on antibiotics right now for my jaw and have to see an Oral surgeon here soon. I am worried about infection, or infection spreading.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you for your replies. A rod broke and it was causing pain, so all the hardware was removed (posterior). I’m going to see my surgeon on Tuesday. Hopefully I will get some answers. I just want to heal!
        Pre-op thorasic curve of 50 degrees reduced to 18 degrees!! 8 years later Hardware removed...

Comment

Originally posted by asha View Post
          Thank you for your replies. A rod broke and it was causing pain, so all the hardware was removed (posterior). I’m going to see my surgeon on Tuesday. Hopefully I will get some answers. I just want to heal!
          It's important to remember that while spine surgeons go through medical school, they really don't have a lot of expertise in non-spine issues.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hardware removal -

I saw another spine surgeon today who thinks my abdominal issues are likely due to the part of my spine that is not completely fused - it’s at the nerve that goes to abdominal muscles (T10). BMP was put over the unfused area and needs to heal. He thinks everything may calm down over time. I sure hope time is the answer because I can’t live like this And I DONT want another surgery!

Comment

Working...
            X