8 Year Anviersayr-Jan. 5, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Year Anviersayr-Jan. 5, 2019

It's hard to believe that it's been 8 years since I was fused T-4 to the sacrum by Dr. Lenke in St. Louis. Recovery isn't easy for anyone, but mine was smoother than many. At age 68, I am more active than most people my age with playing golf, tap dancing, participating in Zumba classes and other classes at the Y, and walking my dog. I feel a little guilty that I seldom check into the forum and offer any advice, however, I am afraid that it wouldn't be totally accurate since I'd be counting on my memory and 8 years is a long time for any details. I will never forget the kindness, concern, support and much needed information that I received from people on this forum before and after my surgery. There was not a day for several years that I didn't read the questions and responses and occasionally post my experiences. At times, I felt guilty because there are many who do everything right, including choosing the best surgeon as I did, and things just don't go well. I think the majority of us are happy we had the surgery. It's changed my life for the better and I have never regretted it. Good luck to all of you who are going through the most frightening time before your surgery with all of the fears and uncertainties. I am also wishing all of you who have had surgery to have the smoothest recovery possible.

Karen

P.S.-Hi, Ed! I am still winning a few golf tournaments.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Congratulations Karen!

There have been the occasional adult (over 50) full fusion reports of "easier" recoveries.....For those like myself who had tough recoveries over the first few months, this is hard to fathom. You also had a few osteotomies which involves some bone cutting and shaping which is supposed to rank high on the pain scale. I don't know who does the pain scale rankings, but I believe them. Why some patients do so well and others suffer during recovery is beyond me. Pain is also difficult to define. Exact pinpoint pain producers (from a single location) can also create pain all over or in other spots on the body which shows how complicated our nervous system is. True sciatica is a good example. Leg pains that originate from lumbar problems. Kidney stone producing renal colic is another.

For those that need complex scoliosis surgery, its something we have to do. An unequivocal decision.... Many here have had to take that chance. We also ponder our justification for long periods of time, wondering, "Was it truly worth it?" For us, for most, it was. We are thankful! For those who struggle with long term pain or complications, we can only hope that there has to be an answer from someone, and hopefully they will find that right surgeon or doctor that will provide a solution. There is a lot of faith that's required by all of us who proceed, its a required mindset or attitude. I think of it as the "Scoliosis Mindset" For pre-surgical exercise and bracing, to post surgical. All patients.

I hope you keep posting in the future, good or bad. The outcomes of senior scoliosis patients is of high value because we all constantly wonder about these things. There are a lot of scoli's that are following us.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Congratulations Karen! I never thought you would be able to Zumba dance with a fusion to the sacrum but here you are doing just that. I hope to be able to feel as good as you do some day.
      Next month it will be a year from my second surgery but my one thigh is still numb and I am still having to use a cane.
      But on a positive note my pain level overall is a lot less.
      Good luck with your golf game Karen!
      Marianne
      rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
      Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
      T11-L5
      Decompression with multiple discectomies
      Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
      Osteotomies and local bone grafting
      Revision Feb.22, 2018
      Replaced rods
      Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
      Used BPM to help with fusing
      Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Hi, Marianne,
        Good luck with your continued recovery. I have some numbness, but not where it effects anything I do. Trust me, my Zumba moves aren't with any hip wiggling, but it's still fun. I actually improved after my first year anniversary. Are you able to do physical therapy?
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks Karen, yes I have had physical therapy. I am thinking of going to Aqua therapy again, I can walk in the water no problem. Hopefully it will strengthen my left leg and hip.
          Marianne
          rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
          Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
          T11-L5
          Decompression with multiple discectomies
          Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
          Osteotomies and local bone grafting
          Revision Feb.22, 2018
          Replaced rods
          Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
          Used BPM to help with fusing
          Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Congrats karen
            Kara
            Boston Brace 4.15.05 to 5.25.06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3.10.10
            T4-L2

Comment

What a great achievement. I will be fused in July 8 years. It is incredible where the years have gone. I wish that I could be as active as you.
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
              X