Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Association between physical activity and scoliosis: a prospective cohort study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Association between physical activity and scoliosis: a prospective cohort study.

Association between physical activity and scoliosis: a prospective cohort study.

Dec 6th, 2018

BACKGROUND:
    Little is understood about the causes of adolescent onset idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). No prospective studies assessing the association between physical activity and idiopathic adolescent scoliosis have been carried out. We aimed to carry out the first prospective population-based study of this association.

METHODS:
    The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC) collected self-reported measures of physical ability/activity at ages 18 months and 10 years. Objective measures of physical activity were collected by accelerometry at age 11 years. scoliosis was identified using the dxa scoliosis Method at age 15 years. Participants with scoliosis at age 10 years were excluded.

RESULTS:
    Of 4640 participants at age 15 years who had DXA scans, 267 (5.8%) had scoliosis. At age 18 months, those infants who were able to stand up without being supported were 66% less likely to have developed scoliosis by age 15 (P = 0.030) compared with infants who could not. Those children whose mothers reported they did most vigorous physical activity at age 10 years were 53% less likely to develop scoliosis (P = 0.027). Those children who did more objectively measured moderate/vigorous physical activity at age 11 were 30% less likely to have developed scoliosis (P < 0.001). Results were not affected by adjustment for age, gender, lean mass, fat mass or back pain.

CONCLUSIONS:
    We report reduced physical ability and activity as early as age 18 months in those who go on to develop scoliosis by age 15 years. Further research is justified to examine the mechanisms underlying this association.

Those children whose mothers reported they did most vigorous physical activity at age 10 years were 53% less likely to develop scoliosis (P = 0.027). Those children who did more objectively measured moderate/vigorous physical activity at age 11 were 30% less likely to have developed scoliosis (P < 0.001).
    Q) Why would intense physical activity reduce the rate of Scoliosis?

A) Perhaps because exercise is a well known anti-inflammatory.

UC San Diego Health: Exercise it Does a Body Good: 20 Minutes Can Act as Anti-Inflammatory

The most recent study on the Zebrafish model of Scoliosis showed that in that case IS was caused by harmful inflammation. Hopefully we'll know soon if the same is true in humans.
    Neuroinflammatory signals drive Scoliosis in Zebrafish model
    Last edited by Dingo; 12-16-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Addendum: If future studies confirm that...

A) Intense physical activity at age 11 reduces that rate of Scoliosis by 30%.
      B) Scoliosis is caused by harmful inflammation (Thread: Neuroinflammatory signals drive Scoliosis in Zebrafish model).

... that explains why a genetic test like Scoliscore had no chance of accuracy and was eventually dropped from the market. (Thread: Was Scoliscore finally pulled from the market?)

If true the environment is dominant and no genetic test was ever going to be particularly helpful.

I'm looking forward to the next round of studies and I'll be watching for the word "inflammation".

Comment

scoliosis despite intense activity.

Dingo,
        I was so active before I developed scoliosis at age 10: climbing trees, playing sports, hiking,swimming, skating etc.
        My mom, sister, brother and girl cousin all have scoliosis. My genes were marching to their own drummer.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

At age 18 months, those infants who were able to stand up without being supported were 66% less likely to have developed scoliosis by age 15 (P = 0.030) compared with infants who could not.
          Both my girls were walking between 11 and 12 months even though they were 5 weeks premature. Both have scoliosis.

Also, dancers and gymnasts seem to be over-represented in the scoliosis community.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            Both my girls were walking between 11 and 12 months even though they were 5 weeks premature. Both have scoliosis.

Also, dancers and gymnasts seem to be over-represented in the scoliosis community.
            Or you could just say that there are more dancers and gymnasts now because more opportunities for people to take up gymnastics and dancing at an early age.and the same rate of scoliosis exists as before.

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
              Or you could just say that there are more dancers and gymnasts now because more opportunities for people to take up gymnastics and dancing at an early age.and the same rate of scoliosis exists as before.
              Yes that is true.

Also, my daughters are not very active/sporty because they have a connective tissue issue of some sort. This study has to address that and other confounders that make their assumed cause really an effect. They may have it exactly backwards and the two things (scoliosis incidence and physical activity) might be just correlate with each other in that group of kids. That group seems unusual anyway given the relatively high percent of them who have scoliosis compared to often repeated percentages. I think if they repeated the study they might get different results.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The OP study was 5.8% of 4,640 kids had scoliosis.

Here is a study of 85,627 kids where 1.7% had scoliosis. This is more in line with other estimates and the OP study group may be unusual.

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/j...spective-study

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Yes that is true.

Also, my daughters are not very active/sporty because they have a connective tissue issue of some sort. This study has to address that and other confounders that make their assumed cause really an effect. They may have it exactly backwards and the two things (scoliosis incidence and physical activity) might be just correlate with each other in that group of kids. That group seems unusual anyway given the relatively high percent of them who have scoliosis compared to often repeated percentages. I think if they repeated the study they might get different results.
                  Exactly - we have no information about the candidates at all. Do the same thing again looking for a different conclusion and you will find it. This sort of study is looking for something and thus finds it- that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
                    Exactly - we have no information about the candidates at all. Do the same thing again looking for a different conclusion and you will find it. This sort of study is looking for something and thus finds it- that's all.
                    True. A majority of published research results are false and I think not sorting out cause and effect is a major reason why.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                    X